Piccolo Daimao / Piccolo Jr.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Piccolo Daimao / Piccolo Jr.

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 pm

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:I used the word "copy" because iIrc, they actually do use that word to describe Jr. in relation to his father at some point in the translated version. I think the actually word in Japanese means "clone" or "doppelganger" , but the point is that I don't think it's 100% correct.
I think we're getting caught up in the nomenclature. I and others aren't arguing that Piccolo Jr. is a clone or doppelganger, but he's clearly more than a mere son. He's not a typical Namekian either. He has all of Daimao's memories and his connection to Kami. He grew up to full adult in three years even though Dende takes much longer to reach maturity. He's also not a demon like his father as evidence of Raditz going to the afterlife, a point that Kami makes clear.

Piccolo Jr. is both father and son, as trippy as that sounds. As I recall even the other characters don't talk about Daimao as if he was Piccolo's father.
That makes a lot of sense, I would say... The way I see it is that, regardless of how the transition happened, by the time Piccolo sacrificed himself to save Gohan, he'd truly separated himself from the demon king persona, and become practically a new man. But I see this as less of him getting away from a destiny laid out by his father, and more of him rejecting his own past, and becoming a better person.

The fact he grew fast is also really odd... I would say, further evidence that he's not a totally new being, but at the very least is some form of reincarnation of Daimao. The read that he's both the father and the son is interesting, but uhh... As you say, trippy. IDK, that's probably the best way to look at it; he's Piccolo Daimao, but he's been reincarnated into a new body, and had to go through an accelerated new childhood... And over the course of his first 10 years of life, he ends up totally uprooting the entirety of his beliefs system, identity, and way of life... So, if they were the same person at the moment of Junior's birth, Junior had become essentially a new man by the time he decided to fuse with God, not necessarily in a literal sense, but... There we go...
ABED wrote:There's little reason to believe Piccolo Jr. observed humans either before or after the 23rd TB. He lived in solitude and trained and dwelled on getting revenge. Actually taking the time to observe people is a flimy reason for such a reversal.
Except we do see him doing so in the anime.
ABED wrote:I understand where you are coming from. If he becomes good for any reason that's not volitional, it seems to undercut the progress he makes, but I disagree for two reasons: 1) He was a being pure evil created by the child of Katatsu shedding the evil from himself. It's an interesting philosophical idea, is Daimao technically evil if he didn't have a choice? And 2) Piccolo Jr. still does some evil things, including killing an island full of people, so he still comes a long way even if he isn't the same Piccolo Daimao.
Fair. However, I still think seeing it as "he was given a soul" seems a bit crap to me, I still think the angle that his rebirth as a child was a change of perspective that resulted in a somewhat different individual who diverged more and more from his original path, until he bore little resemblance to his previous Daimao form just works much better within the style, tone, and such of the show, especially given how Tenshinhan and Vegeta's development went...
ABED wrote:That was the whole point of the thread! I'm ignorant of those aspects of JPN culture and so I was trying to get someone who knows the subject to chime in.
Sure, that was why you created the thread, but actively trying to shut down a broader discussion, especially since no one with such knowledge has chimed in, is counter-productive, and honestly I think would potentially drive such people away... :problem:
ABED wrote:Then you missed the point I was making. I wasn't positing a theory, I was asking a question. And I have said several times, I understand where you are coming from. What I'm dismissing is that I don't think we've gotten to that part of the discussion yet.
If no one has come along with an idea of the Japanese culture stuff you're talking about yet, then by the way you're talking about things, there is no other discussion to be had. Trying to get us to stick to this narrow little thing that none of us can speak to is just counter-productive for this thread as a discussion. Worst case scenario if we do move on and have the broader discussion is that someone with the relevant knowledge pops in, gives their two cents, answers your question, and nothing has been lost. So trying to stagnate the conversation just seems pointlessly rude to me.
ABED wrote:There is thread about Tenshinhan's origins where Toriyama talks about Tenshinhan's third eye. "In certain parts of Asia, beings with a third eye on their forehead are thought to be godlike and are said to possess the power of true seeing. It seems that Tenshinhan, who was raised by the evil Tsuru-Sen'nin [Crane Hermit], lost the ability to use the myriad powers of his third eye for good purposes." So it stands to reason that Toriyama has borrowed other ideas from Asian religions/folklore and used them in his stories even if they aren't brought up explicitly. I don't consider that a cop out as much as possibly bad writing as even if it's understood by your target audience implicitly, it still hasn't been properly contextualized in your story.
The way I see it is that as westerners, we don't get these allusions, and come to our own conclusions. Ultimately, authorial intent is worth considering in media analysis, but aside from what's literally in the text of the work, your own interpretations of the work are what matters above all else, really. Watchmen was intended as a deconstructionist work, and yet people like Zack Snyder see it as totally straight. Is that bad? No, not really, even in Snyder's case, all that could potentially do is somewhat alter the focus of the movie adaptation, but an adaptation is not the original work, it's the adaptor's vision of the original work in a different medium, so as long as the end result is still good, you've still done a good job...

And here, you see I'm digging into yet another facet of this conversation that doesn't directly address the question you asked in the OP. Does that mean I'm doing wrong here? Well, I'm not snubbing anyone else by doing this, I'm contributing to the conversation, providing another beat to our back-and-forth, so... As I would say about the authorial intent of a work, let's put aside the intent behind the OP, and just continue to have our discussion. If someone who can answer the original question pops in, there's nothing stopping them from answering you, in fact if that is a concern, ultimately you can just try PMing Kunzait, I imagine he'll be able to give you a very in-depth answer, so let's just move on from this meta-talk about how we should/could have this conversation, and just have the conversation.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Your first response is surprising, but I don't know what I said this time that I hadn't already said up to that point.

Yes, we do see those things in the anime, but that wasn't in the manga. Even if we accept it as fact, him seeing people is a flimsy excuse for a fundamental change like he undergoes.

Tenshinhan and Vegeta weren't literal demons. They were people who did bad things. It feels like you keep skirting the demon issue.

I'm not looking to one person for the answer. There has got to be someone on this forum with knowledge on such matters. Hell, there is a recent Tenshinhan thread that addresses a similar issue. Toriyama answered why Tenshinhan has a third eye and it has to do with Eastern folklore, but it's not in DB's text. It isn't text, but it informs it.
The way I see it is that as westerners, we don't get these allusions, and come to our own conclusions.
The fact that Toriyama doesn't target his stories for us doesn't change the story. The story is the story whether we get the allusions or not. All it means is he takes too much for granted and doesn't provide enough context for his entire audience to understand what he was going for. Our ignorance of the context of his stories doesn't mean we get to make things up. Whether you like that he has a soul or if Piccolo and Daimao are one in the same doesn't change the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 am

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:I used the word "copy" because iIrc, they actually do use that word to describe Jr. in relation to his father at some point in the translated version. I think the actually word in Japanese means "clone" or "doppelganger" , but the point is that I don't think it's 100% correct.
I think we're getting caught up in the nomenclature. I and others aren't arguing that Piccolo Jr. is a clone or doppelganger, but he's clearly more than a mere son. He's not a typical Namekian either. He has all of Daimao's memories and his connection to Kami. He grew up to full adult in three years even though Dende takes much longer to reach maturity. He's also not a demon like his father as evidence of Raditz going to the afterlife, a point that Kami makes clear.

Piccolo Jr. is both father and son, as trippy as that sounds. As I recall even the other characters don't talk about Daimao as if he was Piccolo's father.

I'd say it matters a little in this case. My point wasn't necessarily directed at anyone that posted in this thread but at how this aspect of his character is regarded by the fandom at large and it really has led to some confusion it seems - Funimation having Piccolo Jr speak as if he really is the old Demon King with a new body is an example. They focused too much on the reincarnation bit and kinda ignored the father/son side.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:56 am

Michsi wrote:I'd say it matters a little in this case. My point wasn't necessarily directed at anyone that posted in this thread but at how this aspect of his character is regarded by the fandom at large and it really has led to some confusion it seems - Funimation having Piccolo Jr speak as if he really is the old Demon King with a new body is an example. They focused too much on the reincarnation bit and kinda ignored the father/son side.
This carries over into Kai too; early on Gohan says that "Ever since you were reborn... you're more grumpy than evil". But for what it's worth that's like the second of only two instances I can think of; I feel like the rest of the time Junior is treated like a separate character in the 2003 dub and Kai. For example Kami says "He is not acting like the demon king of old", which implies a separation, at least as far as Kami sees it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:37 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:I'd say it matters a little in this case. My point wasn't necessarily directed at anyone that posted in this thread but at how this aspect of his character is regarded by the fandom at large and it really has led to some confusion it seems - Funimation having Piccolo Jr speak as if he really is the old Demon King with a new body is an example. They focused too much on the reincarnation bit and kinda ignored the father/son side.
This carries over into Kai too; early on Gohan says that "Ever since you were reborn... you're more grumpy than evil". But for what it's worth that's like the second of only two instances I can think of; I feel like the rest of the time Junior is treated like a separate character in the 2003 dub and Kai. For example Kami says "He is not acting like the demon king of old", which implies a separation, at least as far as Kami sees it.
I haven't seen the English dub of Kai, but I do recall the original being something like "My father said that the Piccolo that got reborn is as bad " which is similar to what they translated, but not quite the same thing. I feel like the Japanese version leans far more in the direction of father/son relation, especially later when it is revealed that what King Piccolo did was actually just normal Namekian reproduction. The reason why Piccolo Jr. actually looks like is father as opposed to the other creations has less to do with him being the Demon Kings reincarnation and more with being created as a proper Namekian.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 am

Michsi wrote:I haven't seen the English dub of Kai, but I do recall the original being something like "My father said that the Piccolo that got reborn is as bad " which is similar to what they translated, but not quite the same thing. I feel like the Japanese version leans far more in the direction of father/son relation, especially later when it is revealed that what King Piccolo did was actually just normal Namekian reproduction. The reason why Piccolo Jr. actually looks like is father as opposed to the other creations has less to do with him being the Demon Kings reincarnation and more with being created as a proper Namekian.
I pulled out my Full Colour and Gohan's line there according to ViZ is similar but different. "You're not as bad of a bad guy as you used to be, before you died and came back". It suggests a more direct "Hey this is Daimao again" sort of thing compared to FUNimation's attempt at an authentic translation, which used the word reborn which implies the possibility of a personality change. Meanwhile, the English subtitles for the Japanese track in Kai say "But Father said that after you were reborn, Piccolo-san, you don't seem to be as full-blown bad as you were before".

Personally I don't think Daimao's creation of Junior and his minions would be considered normal because they're all monsters (plus it was heavily implied that typically only the Grand Elder can reproduce among Namekians). That Daimao could do it suggests that it's an ability inherent of being an evil demon with a lot of mysticism surrounding him, which while still present is less there for Junior, in my opinion.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:I haven't seen the English dub of Kai, but I do recall the original being something like "My father said that the Piccolo that got reborn is as bad " which is similar to what they translated, but not quite the same thing. I feel like the Japanese version leans far more in the direction of father/son relation, especially later when it is revealed that what King Piccolo did was actually just normal Namekian reproduction. The reason why Piccolo Jr. actually looks like is father as opposed to the other creations has less to do with him being the Demon Kings reincarnation and more with being created as a proper Namekian.
I pulled out my Full Colour and Gohan's line there according to ViZ is similar but different. "You're not as bad of a bad guy as you used to be, before you died and came back". It suggests a more direct "Hey this is Daimao again" sort of thing compared to FUNimation's attempt at an authentic translation, which used the word reborn which implies the possibility of a personality change. Meanwhile, the English subtitles for the Japanese track in Kai say "But Father said that after you were reborn, Piccolo-san, you don't seem to be as full-blown bad as you were before".

Personally I don't think Daimao's creation of Junior and his minions would be considered normal because they're all monsters (plus it was heavily implied that typically only the Grand Elder can reproduce among Namekians). That Daimao could do it suggests that it's an ability inherent of being an evil demon with a lot of mysticism surrounding him, which while still present is less there for Junior, in my opinion.
I believe that one of the DB info books once stated that any Namekian from the dragon clan (Grand Elder, Dende, Mori, Kami/OG Piccolo) can reproduce, while the fighters types (Piccolo, Nail ) can't. King Piccolo's other children were apparently tainted and disfigured by demonic energy or something, and were mostly meant to be seen as minions, whereas Piccolo Jr. is just your basic Namekian. Obviously there wasn't a whole lot of thought put into the technicalities when the author decided to switch from demon to alien, but it does offer some possible explanation as to why Piccolo was later treated far more as the son of the old Demon King rather than the reborn version of him. As someone already stated, the reincarnation bit seemed more like a hyperbole since Piccolo does have his father's memories and connection to god.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 am

Point is that he's both. I think they use them interchangably for expediency.

And is everyone sure that the Dragon Clan is separate from healers and warriors?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 am

ABED wrote:Point is that he's both. I think they use them interchangably for expediency.

And is everyone sure that the Dragon Clan is separate from healers and warriors?

Healers are from the dragon clan iIrc. There are two types of Namekians : dragon clan or warrior clan. (or dragon type or fighter type, depending which terms are preferred ) Members of the dragon clan can heal, use magic more, produce offspring, and create dragon balls. Warriors clan just has the fighters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Are you sure about that? As I recall, there are two types: Healers and Warriors. If it's warriors and Dragon Clan, that would suggest DB creators are much more common. Also, the child of Katatsu and Piccolo are both clearly warriors, although Piccolo can't seem to make DBs.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Being a member of the dragon clan doesn't necessarily mean they can automatically create dragon balls, same as not every saiyan can become super saiyan. They're just more adept at magic and spiritual techniques in general, but only the most skilled can create dragon balls. Kami/King Piccolo were just an oddity I suppose, since nothing states dragon clan members can't train in martial arts if they want to. And for what it's worth, the predecessor of the Xenoverse game, Dragon Ball online, which was heavily overseen by Toriyama himself, splits the Namekians race into these two types as well, and if memory serves, a dragon clan member could have a child in the game, while a warrior couldn't.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Michsi wrote:Being a member of the dragon clan doesn't necessarily mean they can automatically create dragon balls, same as not every saiyan can become super saiyan. They're just more adept at magic and spiritual techniques in general, but only the most skilled can create dragon balls. Kami/King Piccolo were just an oddity I suppose, since nothing states dragon clan members can't train in martial arts if they want to. And for what it's worth, the predecessor of the Xenoverse game, Dragon Ball online, which was heavily overseen by Toriyama himself, splits the Namekians race into these two types as well, and if memory serves, a dragon clan member could have a child in the game, while a warrior couldn't.
Well, from what I recall from the manga, Dende said they are split between healers and warriors. The designation of Dragon Clan sounds exclusive and rare. And lastly I don't remember warriors being designated as a clan. It seems awfully weird that there are warriors and the dragon clan, instead of the dragon clan and the warrior clan. I don't recall the manga saying healers and the Dragon Clan are one in the same.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:06 pm

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:Being a member of the dragon clan doesn't necessarily mean they can automatically create dragon balls, same as not every saiyan can become super saiyan. They're just more adept at magic and spiritual techniques in general, but only the most skilled can create dragon balls. Kami/King Piccolo were just an oddity I suppose, since nothing states dragon clan members can't train in martial arts if they want to. And for what it's worth, the predecessor of the Xenoverse game, Dragon Ball online, which was heavily overseen by Toriyama himself, splits the Namekians race into these two types as well, and if memory serves, a dragon clan member could have a child in the game, while a warrior couldn't.
Well, from what I recall from the manga, Dende said they are split between healers and warriors. The designation of Dragon Clan sounds exclusive and rare. And lastly I don't remember warriors being designated as a clan. It seems awfully weird that there are warriors and the dragon clan, instead of the dragon clan and the warrior clan. I don't recall the manga saying healers and the Dragon Clan are one in the same.
I think it's the conclusion most made since the healing technique is basically just magic and that's their specialty. Kami couldn't heal but he did know a lot of magic. The "clan" thing is debatable since I can't remember what they use in Japanese an the original could just use another term. Point is this is how Namekians have been and seen for years by the fandom at large which seems to be supported by official material : dragon clan/ type and warrior clan/type.