The seven years gap potential !!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

The seven years gap potential !!

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Well since the release of Dragon Ball Super which ran between the end of Majin Buu and the 28th tenkaichi budokai, I've been thinking about the possibilities of Stories told during the seven years gap between the death of Cell and the begining of the Majin Buu arc.
With this picture I think you guys know what I am up to behind my idea to use those seven years gap. Here you take those seven years of peace between Cell and Majin Buu ? Then the goal will be to create cohesive story without incoherence or at least not so much. The story or stories would have to be written in mind this major factor on Earth there was 7 years of peace on Earth because the manga specify that .

This seven years gap can be opportunities to bring into the canon movies characters and I think those movies can be use:

-World's Strongest
-The Tree of Might
-Lord Slug
-Cooler's Revenge
-Wrath of the Dragon

The Big Gete Star can be use again with another movie vilain and why not Slug for that, Tapion can be reintroduce in later arc before the start of the Majin Buu arc with Trunks as a focus, Tullece can be turned into Slug main henchman who lust for overthrow Slug, the possibilities are endless to use part of thoses movies plot and to transform them into something new I will let your imagination run wild about that.

Of course The characters who will participate in these arc would be Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Yamcha, Kuririn, and Tenshinhan. Here there will be no Goku since he is dead and training in heaven. With that said now I think you see my point, this seven years of peace period on Earth is ideal for stories in space and to reintroduce some movie characters or plot element by making them Canon. And to have stories less centered around Goku.

We can make why not Vegeta shine making this time of glory what's will trigger him to let himself majinised when he see that he didn't close the gap power between him and Goku. Another opportunity is to create an understanding as to why there is only 28 worlds left in Universe 7 through North Kaio.

And so much more...
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: The seven years gap potential !!

Post by TobyS » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Well since the release of Dragon Ball Super which ran between the end of Majin Buu and the 28th tenkaichi budokai, I've been thinking about the possibilities of Stories told during the seven years gap between the death of Cell and the begining of the Majin Buu arc.
With this picture I think you guys know what I am up to behind my idea to use those seven years gap. Here you take those seven years of peace between Cell and Majin Buu ? Then the goal will be to create cohesive story without incoherence or at least not so much. The story or stories would have to be written in mind this major factor on Earth there was 7 years of peace on Earth because the manga specify that .

This seven years gap can be opportunities to bring into the canon movies characters and I think those movies can be use:

-World's Strongest
-The Tree of Might
-Lord Slug
-Cooler's Revenge
-Wrath of the Dragon

The Big Gete Star can be use again with another movie vilain and why not Slug for that, Tapion can be reintroduce in later arc before the start of the Majin Buu arc with Trunks as a focus, Tullece can be turned into Slug main henchman who lust for overthrow Slug, the possibilities are endless to use part of thoses movies plot and to transform them into something new I will let your imagination run wild about that.

Of course The characters who will participate in these arc would be Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Yamcha, Kuririn, and Tenshinhan. Here there will be no Goku since he is dead and training in heaven. With that said now I think you see my point, this seven years of peace period on Earth is ideal for stories in space and to reintroduce some movie characters or plot element by making them Canon. And to have stories less centered around Goku.

We can make why not Vegeta shine making this time of glory what's will trigger him to let himself majinised when he see that he didn't close the gap power between him and Goku. Another opportunity is to create an understanding as to why there is only 28 worlds left in Universe 7 through North Kaio.

And so much more...
How do you not have every villain except maybe metal cooler, be owned by Yamcha and Tenshinhan, let alone Kamiccolo?

Other than that sounds cool. I like the idea of canonising the non canon movies.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:07 pm

Good memory for remembering that detail. It also looks like a good idea.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

Of course that's just an idea like that we don't have to makes every movies characters. Just I checked all the movies, and the ones I have listed either in material or either just in characters potential are the more promising.

In my opinion we can take at least 4 years from this seven years gap to create those stories, who would happen in space and not on earth.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am

I don’t particularly like the idea of filling in the time skips with action packed arcs or events. I think it fits the story for there to be genuine moments of peace where nothing happens. I’m still not even sold on Super taking place between the end of the Boo arc and the end of the series.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am

Yeah, we could also squeeze the events of GT in there and make them canon, also DB Heroes Xeno Goku and Xenoverse events :roll: lets remake everything into canon, cuz that label sure means everything
Last edited by mute_proxy on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am

mute_proxy wrote:Yeah, we could also squeeze the events of GT in there and make them canon, also DB Heroes Xeno Goku and Xenoverse events :roll: lets remake everything into canon, cuz that label sure means everything
This does not live up to the spirit of our community guidelines. If you're not interested in genuinely having or being part of a conversation, keep your dismissive comments to yourself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:48 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:I don’t particularly like the idea of filling in the time skips with action packed arcs or events. I think it fits the story for there to be genuine moments of peace where nothing happens. I’m still not even sold on Super taking place between the end of the Boo arc and the end of the series.
I do like also the genuine moment of peace that is those seven years, but seeing Super gave me some idea for useful fil this gap, besides Goku being dead at this time is an excellent idea for wrote stories about other Z-Warrior characters and make them great again.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:I don’t particularly like the idea of filling in the time skips with action packed arcs or events. I think it fits the story for there to be genuine moments of peace where nothing happens. I’m still not even sold on Super taking place between the end of the Boo arc and the end of the series.
I do like also the genuine moment of peace that is those seven years, but seeing Super gave me some idea for useful fil this gap, besides Goku being dead at this time is an excellent idea for wrote stories about other Z-Warrior characters and make them great again.
Strength does not equal greatness. Piccolo has always been great, even in the Boo arc, where the extent of his influence on the plot is mentoring Goten and Trunks; his talk with Vegeta before the iconic sacrifice scene was utter gold, for one thing...
I think the main interesting thing you could do with stories in the gap between Cell and Boo is the kind of stuff we saw in Z movies 9, 10, and 11; fun shenanigans with the B-team crew hanging around, then a strong foe shows up, who the others have to do something about. 'Course in 9 and 10 it was Gohan who beat the guy both times, in some fairly by the numbers fights, so something more like 11 where the B-team guys are doing the actual dealing with the foe, and hopefully where the solution is more clever than "punch him harder than he punches you." could be employed so we don't basically have everyone except Gohan function as Worfs for the guy so Gohan can show up at the end and beat the guy, while providing no other useful function to the story.

Dunno if the kind of thing I'm describing happens in Z 12 and 13, since I haven't seen those yet, but if they did, those are probably good examples to work off of. :)

Funny thing is, you could probably do something really cool with Tenshinhan if you took the brief thing with him from the TOP arc and took out Roshi, Goku, etc., and expanded the plot out to have the villain do more, perhaps involve some other B-team favourites like Kuririn, Piccolo, maybe Yamucha...
But if you want to do stuff with Gohan and/or Vegeta, doing something where a "Big Gete Star" type thing happens, where the heroes have to go to Namek to save them from some kind of catastrophe could be fun. You just have to have enough unique stuff happening(There's a lot you can do in terms of getting the team together, the journey to the planet, shenanigans on the planet outside of the fighting, etc.) that Z movie 6 pretty much completely ignored.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Gotta agree with this, especially in light of Gohan slacking off during the gap between the Cell Games and the Buu arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 pm

ABED wrote:
Gotta agree with this, especially in light of Gohan slacking off during the gap between the Cell Games and the Buu arc.
I also have to agree. It would be completely unessesary and would weaken the overall narrative. Much like how Super doesn't do anything for EoZ. I feel they would stretch out stories and mess with lore in order for it to be "fresh" (much like Super) Maybe shorts not dealing with "end of the world villian" and more slice of life stuff could work not messing with canon.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 am

Shinsa wrote:
ABED wrote:
I also have to agree. It would be completely unessesary and would weaken the overall narrative. Much like how Super doesn't do anything for EoZ. I feel they would stretch out stories and mess with lore in order for it to be "fresh" (much like Super) Maybe shorts not dealing with "end of the world villian" and more slice of life stuff could work not messing with canon.
I hear you borth that the idea doesn't sound good for your taste, but unessesary or anything. In my opinion those seven years can be filled to explain some unanswered point into the Lore and can be use for that purpose. For exemple answered Katats son real name, or the back story of yamcha before he join Goku's in his quest, and while doing that we can canonise some characters from movies into the lore.

Also Shinsa I don't think Super messed the Lore, in my opinion GT mess more with the original canon than Super.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I hear you borth that the idea doesn't sound good for your taste, but unessesary or anything. In my opinion those seven years can be filled to explain some unanswered point into the Lore and can be use for that purpose. For exemple answered Katats son real name, or the back story of yamcha before he join Goku's in his quest, and while doing that we can canonise some characters from movies into the lore.
Stuff like the nameless Namekian's real name and what Yamcha was doing before the series sounds more like tidbits that you see in supplementary material like a guidebook than story material that needs to be inserted into the timeskip of a preexisting story. It isn't necessary to fill out the timeskip with stuff like that (and I agree with the people saying it isn't necessary to fill out the timeskip period).
Last edited by Majin Buu on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am

That completely flies in the face of the notion that there was seven years of peace that allowed everybody to relax, Gohan to slack off, and for Goten and Trunks to be spoiled and worry-free. There's just not much to work with.

The most I can see is minor comedy villains who would be mild annoyances at best.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Shinsa wrote:
ABED wrote: Gotta agree with this, especially in light of Gohan slacking off during the gap between the Cell Games and the Buu arc.
I hear you borth that the idea doesn't sound good for your taste, but unessesary or anything. In my opinion those seven years can be filled to explain some unanswered point into the Lore and can be use for that purpose. For exemple answered Katats son real name, or the back story of yamcha before he join Goku's in his quest, and while doing that we can canonise some characters from movies into the lore.

Also Shinsa I don't think Super messed the Lore, in my opinion GT mess more with the original canon than Super.
It's useless exposition and there's no need to make those movies canon.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Shinsa wrote:
ABED wrote:
Thing is, Super pointedly isn't trying to be fresh; the point of Super isn't to amaze you with new, shocking turns of events and stories, it's to throw you back to the old days and give you a sense of nostalgia. It's exactly the point that Super is basically just stretching the story out, because stretching your past out to prolong a sense of nostalgia and bring back something you remember from 15-20 years ago is the entire idea behind Super. I don't think this makes for good TV, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me... But I would say even if Super's approach does work for you, variety is important, and for that reason, another interquel story shouldn't just try to be doing what Super's doing, but at an earlier point in the story... It should be its own thing that has a different approach. GT and Super are two different follow-ups to the original story, so any other follow-up story should, in my opinion, try something different from either of those two aswell, to give itself its own sense of identity.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm

If it's built around nostalgia, that would imply Super doesn't have an identity beyond more of the same.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:36 pm

ABED wrote:If it's built around nostalgia, that would imply Super doesn't have an identity beyond more of the same.
Yes, quite.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Super relying on nostalgia/fan service is true. They try to do new things with lore and transformations but nostalgia/cliche always gets in the way
..hence why I wrote fresh in quotations. Toei knows in order to market Super they need to change something and have an iconic look or characters and that's why we have Super Saiyan Blue. I'm pretty positive it wasn't done to surve the greater narrative.

Super was done very lazily and and for me the new ideas fall flat and don't mesh well with the DB Canon as a whole. That's what I would be afraid of if they messed around in the 7 year gap.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:11 am

Nostalgia can be good if worked properly and I think Toei quite learned from their early mistake in Dragon Ball Super, the show start to improve right at the start of the Champa ARC. And the new idea and concept works fine well in the lore IMO.
ABED wrote:It's useless exposition and there's no need to make those movies canon.
Agree to disagree, as for the movies those won't be canon, but some part of these movies will be, you can rework Slug or Tullece into something fresh and new, you can rework Tapion too and make his planet alive as well as his species in the Lore being part of the 28 planet existing in Univers 7.

I have a load of ideas on how to makes every non canon stuff existing in Dragon Ball canon and make them consistent with the canon. 8)