Have you ever met anyone who liked minus

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Have you ever met anyone who liked minus

Post by Dragono » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:21 pm

i just had a conversation with one.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Have you ever met anyone who liked minus

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Is it as "cool" as the Bardock movie? No. Is it pretty much fine for whatever it is? Sure. I don't really have much of a problem with it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm

There are plenty of people on these boards who like Minus. While I do not count myself among them, I certainly don't feel they are some kind of sideshow oddity either. They exist, they have their reasons, and they are just as entitled to those reasons and those opinions as anyone else.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Master Xar likes Minus!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

climatestrange

Post by climatestrange » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:23 pm

In my experience, the people who like Minus are usually fans of the original English dub. That version of the Bardock special softens the character considerably, making the changes in Minus feel less jarring. Considering the Supermanification of Goku's character in the dub, the change to his origin might feel more appropriate to them, too.

Beyond that, people only seem to like it for superficial/fanservice reasons, such as seeing young Raditz and Vegeta together or meeting Gine.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Besides myself? Not personally, but there's a few people here in Kanzenshuu, I think.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Is this thread really necessary after the last one?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 am

climatestrange wrote:In my experience, the people who like Minus are usually fans of the original English dub. That version of the Bardock special softens the character considerably, making the changes in Minus feel less jarring. Considering the Supermanification of Goku's character in the dub, the change to his origin might feel more appropriate to them, too.

Beyond that, people only seem to like it for superficial/fanservice reasons, such as seeing young Raditz and Vegeta together or meeting Gine.
We can chill with the whole "there must be all these weird reasons why they must like it" form of analysis.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Don’t get why people hate DB-. It’s not meant to completely erase The Father of Son Gokou. Barduck still confronts Freeza a month later. We just don’t see what happens before then. Speaking of DB- specifically, it’s okay for what it does. We canonically see what happens when Gokou reached Planet Earth and it ties in with Jaco having to erase his existence but fails. It’s good in my books

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 am

No, and I hope I never do. Get those weirdos away from me.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 am

I like it for what it is.

It may screw with certain people's head cannon a bit, but that's not my problem. And so what if it makes Goku's origins even more like Superman's? Toriyama has always been influenced by other franchises and sources.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:41 am

I like Jaco the Galactic Patrolman a lot and Minus is just a bonus chapter/epilogue of that. Too many people just view it in isolation as if it was created solely to usurp everyone's favorite flashback episode.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 am

I'm yet to understand the pretentious premiss of this thread...
Makaioshin wrote:I like Jaco the Galactic Patrolman a lot and Minus is just a bonus chapter/epilogue of that. Too many people just view it in isolation as if it was created solely to usurp everyone's favorite flashback episode.
Yes, I agree with this.