Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:10 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:That's not going to happen. Dubs and subs are country-specific just like region coding as well, it's all part of the business structure.

Customers from market A get the version A.
Customers from market B get the version B.
Customers from market C get the version C.

But can customers from the market A get the B version? No, they either buy the A ver. or nothing at all (unless import and it may not even include the language they know).

Although, in a perfect world a multi-language release would be great but don't count on it.
Please don't make stuff up. I have countless home-video releases that prove otherwise. To name a few: Funimation's Ultimate Uncut Edition of Dragon Ball Z contained the Mexican-Spanish dub, Studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki boxset contained anywhere from six to 11 different dubs (plus subtitles), the Black★Rock Shooter BD has subtitles in six different languages (and might be region free. I forget), and the TV adaption has three and is region-free. Not to mention all the countries which would air one dub and then switch to another country's dub. Look at all the dubs the U.K. got.

This release is going to be region free, so maybe they WILL include some options.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm

For this, I am only looking at the movies since that's all that's been confirmed. Also, even if we limit to only Region 1, that would mean a proper multi lingual release from Japan would include Japanese (obviously), Ocean English (Pioneer DBZ 1-3 only. BLT DB Movie 1 and Saban DBZ Movie 3 can't be included due to the additional footage and censorship), Funi Remastered with Kikuchi, Funi Remastered with Replacement Score and original Funi mixes (DBZ Movies 1-3, 6-7, 9, 11-13 only, as I doubt Toei is going to bother licensing the various OMG Real Bands tracks), maybe Harmony Gold English and Video Doblajes Spanish DB Movies 1 and 3 (some jury-rigging would be required though), Intertrack Spanish, Alamo Brazilian Portuguese, BKS Brazilian Portuguese (DB Movies 1-3 only), Studio Gábia Brazilian Portuguese (DBZ Movie 3 only, some jury-rigging might be required), AB Groupe French, TVB Hong Kong (including both versions for DBZ Movies 1-13), STAR TV Mandarin, DEX Thai, ModernNine Thai, Daewon Media/"Broadcasting Version" Korean (including both versions of DB Movies 1-3 and DBZ Movies 1-6), Tooniverse Korean (DB movie 4(?) and DBZ Movies 1-13 only), Tagalog (whatever exists), Malay DBZ Movie 6

...long list. :shrug:
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Please don't make stuff up.
Touched a nerve.
linkdude20002001 wrote:I have countless home-video releases that prove otherwise.
Oh, great.
linkdude20002001 wrote:Funimation's Ultimate Uncut Edition of Dragon Ball Z contained the Mexican-Spanish dub
That was shitcanned by FUNimation.
linkdude20002001 wrote:Studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki boxset contained anywhere from six to 11 different dubs (plus subtitles), the Black★Rock Shooter BD has subtitles in six different languages (and might be region free. I forget), and the TV adaption has three and is region-free. Not to mention all the countries which would air one dub and then switch to another country's dub.
That's different than most cases because they're thinking of the vast amount of their customers and not separate per region/continents/countries.
linkdude20002001 wrote:Look at all the dubs the U.K. got.
Dude, that happens because the UK Blu-rays and DVDs are European releases thus it features one, two or more European languages on there. Sometimes even non-European languages (like Arab).
linkdude20002001 wrote:This release is going to be region free, so maybe they WILL include some options.
Calm down, dude.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 am

Deathbringer wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Meh, don't really need it as I am confident these releases will be licensed by international distributors anyway, and if MangaUK get this from Funimation I look forward to supporting them (as I'm doing with Super) so they can keep putting out more Dragon Ball.
Hmm, now that I think about it, didn't MangaUK only just get done with releasing all the movies on BluRay with the Funimation masters? What unfortunate timing, they probably won't be picking these up for a few years if at all, since they won't want to compete against their own release.
You're right they probably wouldn't want to release them again so soon. They really shouldn't have taken so long to release the double features as now it will prevent them from releasing this. One good thing is they haven't released the Z series on Blu-ray yet, so maybe this new remaster will be an option they would consider.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Look at all the dubs the U.K. got.
Dude, that happens because the UK Blu-rays and DVDs are European releases thus it features one, two or more European languages on there. Sometimes even non-European languages (like Arab).
Having languages for neighbouring countries in the same continent is fine for a DVD/Blu-Ray release. When it comes to broadcast the UK has had a far more convoluted history when it comes to English dubs, as we got a mix of the Funimation and Westwood dubs depending on when you were watching, Blue Water for original DB and GT as well as the Big Green dubs for the movies and home video. Suffice to say ever since Kai aired and MangaUK started releasing the series its been Funimation only so its not as confusing to onlookers although a home video release for the Canadian dubs and any sort of release for Ocean Kai would be appreciated, so hopefully one or the other happens eventually (maybe on Canadian TV? soonish?...)

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand I'm in no hurry to see MangaUK release these masters as Funimation probably won't have their version out for at least a year, but perhaps in a few years. We'll see. Hopefully TOEI do announce a Blu-Ray for the original three series soon.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am

JohnnyCashKami, your posting and response style does not live up to the spirit of our community guidelines. All would do well to review these, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration. This is a free warning; account strikes may be issued going forward. These add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.

On the subject of home releases with multiple language tracks, dubs, who owns what, etc.:

Look no further than Discotek as an American licensee that re-releases a slew of older content with multiple dubs from multiple countries (anything they can get their hands on, really). This is because, in general, dubs produced actually do ultimately belong to the Japanese rights holders. Discotek is able to request these materials directly from them, and/or work with the foreign licensees to get these prior works, and/or get permission to rip/remaster it all themselves.

For an actual FUNimation example, see the upcoming Aniplex re-release of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. This is a show that FUNimation previously released, previously dubbed, and no longer has the distribution rights to. Aniplex's upcoming release will have FUNimation's English dub.

It is incredibly unlikely that Toei's Japanese Blu-ray movie set will have anything other than Japanese closed captions. It is incredibly likely that these new masters will be licensed out to foreign companies to use in the near future. It is incredibly unlikely that FUNimation will include alternate English dubs if and when they release the set.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am

While I did grow up with the Dub, I prefer the original at this point and a sub only release would be perfect for me.:)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:09 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Do you think we can get the Ocean dubs of the fisrt 3 movies as a bonus track on the FUNi release?
It's possible... If FUNi decides to release this, we should ask them to include it. It wouldn't cost them anything extra to throw on the original dub. They'd probably just need to see the demand for it.
Yes. Please everyone, if Funi are looking to put out these movie masters, push for the Pioneer dubs to be included!! There are no possible negatives to this; it just has to be a non-default second dub option somewhere in the setup menu. Funi included the old Bandai dub of Escaflowne on the Funi releases, so it's not like there's no precedent for this!

The Pioneer dubs were an outstanding piece of dubbing work, and having that available in addition to Funi's dubs would make this the ultimate English release of these movies! :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Danfun64 wrote:For this, I am only looking at the movies since that's all that's been confirmed. Also, even if we limit to only Region 1, that would mean a proper multi lingual release from Japan would include Japanese (obviously), Ocean English (Pioneer DBZ 1-3 only. BLT DB Movie 1 and Saban DBZ Movie 3 can't be included due to the additional footage and censorship), Funi Remastered with Kikuchi, Funi Remastered with Replacement Score and original Funi mixes (DBZ Movies 1-3, 6-7, 9, 11-13 only, as I doubt Toei is going to bother licensing the various OMG Real Bands tracks), maybe Harmony Gold English and Video Doblajes Spanish DB Movies 1 and 3 (some jury-rigging would be required though), Intertrack Spanish, Alamo Brazilian Portuguese, BKS Brazilian Portuguese (DB Movies 1-3 only), Studio Gábia Brazilian Portuguese (DBZ Movie 3 only, some jury-rigging might be required), AB Groupe French, TVB Hong Kong (including both versions for DBZ Movies 1-13), STAR TV Mandarin, DEX Thai, ModernNine Thai, Daewon Media/"Broadcasting Version" Korean (including both versions of DB Movies 1-3 and DBZ Movies 1-6), Tooniverse Korean (DB movie 4(?) and DBZ Movies 1-13 only), Tagalog (whatever exists), Malay DBZ Movie 6

...long list. :shrug:
I don't think Studio Gábia's version could be included, it has a scene of around 3 minutes that was cut.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:50 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Touched a nerve.

Oh, great.

That was shitcanned by FUNimation.

That's different than most cases because they're thinking of the vast amount of their customers and not separate per region/continents/countries.

Calm down, dude.
I don't understand why you'd think I was upset -I certainly wasn't-, but in any case... Your statements are contradictory to what I was originally replying to. You originally said "dubs and subs are country-specific", but if fans in "Market A" have to "either buy the A ver. or nothing at all", then why is that not the case when the company is "thinking of the vast amount of their customers and not separate per region/continents/countries"? Aren't they always thinking about their customers (After money of course. Money comes first.)? And why would the "rule" suddenly change? And why is Funimation's U.U.E. release being canceled a "reason" for it not counting as evidence?

Lastly, I was talking about multiple English dubs in the U.K. and Ireland, not multiple languages. I don't think there are any trilingual home-video releases beside FUNi's U.U.E. release. Well, Dragon Ball Ireland explaind the many English dubs they got there, so I won't repeat it.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:20 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: I don't think there are any trilingual home-video releases beside FUNi's U.U.E. release.
Actually, AB's discontinued DBGT DVD release had French, Spanish, Portugese, and Japanese audio tracks.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am

sangofe wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote: I don't think there are any trilingual home-video releases beside FUNi's U.U.E. release.
Actually, AB's discontinued DBGT DVD release had French, Spanish, Portugese, and Japanese audio tracks.
some spanish release have Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Galician, Japanese audios on the same dvd

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Oh, wow! FIVE languages!? I'm guessing those four are all spoken in Spain?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah but there is a use for this release having those five language, the main pb here is that all dvd, bluray area was made for commercial matter, licence things too, i often see us and english fans complaining because japanese release or any interesting release like the french golden box don't have english subtitle or audios, but except english themselves who care about english subs or dub on dvd? the golden box was made for french people only not caring about foreign people, why spending money to make a translation (in france it is already hard to have a translation like release of high school kimengumi or even dragon ball gt that don't have any subs release) then using foreign translation..... ab did it one time for dbgt vol 1 (single dvd that never have seen a vol2) but all dub included was dubbed produce or distributed by ab production worldwide

except very few fans that collect all dub, sub (useless as they won't watch xx time the full series to listen each dub) , a french guy will be interested by french audios or japanese audio, a japanese by the japanese audios etc.... there's no point adding lot of not free useless audios, subs to a release (it mean syncing all audios, subs, edit where there is nothing, add translation etc etc etc etc etc )
you can dream there won't be any foreign audios, subs release on bluray

even if they re release the series on bluray, there will be the same optical tracks as the old one, master audios are gone forever and broadcast audios aren't official sources, not full (miss half of an ep, beginning of another, 4 ep have local warnings, 38 episode of z have not complete preview), not clean (noise, buzzing, low pass filter etc)