Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:00 am

Depending if Toei is smart enough to release these new HD remasters worldwide, would you like it if they would put several languages on the Discs, in case that there is still enough Disc space on them? Outside of the japanese audio, the other contained languages would be different from region to region. The european version for example would contain the german, english, french, italiano, spanish and portuguese Dubs, while the asien version would contain Dubs like the korean, chinese and taiwanese ones. And the north/south american version would have Dubs like the english, mexican and brasilian ones. Ofcourse there are some Dubs that are not uncut, for which they would have to either redub those specific Scenes (rather unlikely), or just use the japanese audio with Subs for them (most likely). There could also be more region specific releases on these continents that conver different sets of languages.

In my case, i would find a multi language release really great, wich would make it much easier to get the series in different languages.

What do you guys think?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 am

That would be a dream come true, but it won't happen.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:14 am

Other dubs won't hurt but it's not something I'm interested in as I watch my anime in English. I'm more than happy with Kai and its dub so I'll just be getting DB and the 17 movies. I wish Funimation would take this chance tor re-dub everything but that probably won't happen. Thankfully DB and the movies' dub aren't unwatchable like parts of Z's.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:16 am

sintzu wrote:Other dubs won't hurt but it's not something I'm interested in as I watch my anime in English. I'm more than happy with Kai and its dub so I'll just be getting DB and the 17 movies.
Agreed. Japanese tracks is standard for overseas versions of the show alongside a dub in the local language; with a show as dense in content as DB is it isn't very efficient to take up space with multiple language tracks. And yeah I'd only pick up DB, and maybe the movies just so that I can become more familiar with them.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 am

Meh, don't really need it as I am confident these releases will be licensed by international distributors anyway, and if MangaUK get this from Funimation I look forward to supporting them (as I'm doing with Super) so they can keep putting out more Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 am

They can't for a simple reason, they aren't owner of any dub except the japanese one, all us dubs are property of their respective production company and the same for each countries, so it mean asked all countries the right for all dubbings, then synced them etc....it's impossible.

But it's possible that each countries buyed the rights of the remaster and synced their dub on it.

But anyway there is a remaster of the movies yes but nothing for the series

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:They can't for a simple reason, they aren't owner of any dub except the japanese one, all us dubs are property of their respective production company and the same for each countries, so it mean asked all countries the right for all dubbings, then synced them etc....it's impossible.

But it's possible that each countries buyed the rights of the remaster and synced their dub on it.

Today I saw Geekdoms video about this remaster, acording to him a credible Person said that they are planning an Bluray HD remaster of the TV series. (https://youtu.be/hTfqTtKYLjo?t=275)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 am

I'd kill for this to happen. But considering I don't think FUNimation, or really most international dubbing companies, would be interested in this considering how much the series and movies have been re-released. Making marketing this specific release very difficult.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:35 am

Dragon Sponge wrote:
Today I saw Geekdoms video about this remaster, acording to him a credible Person said that they are planning an Bluray HD remaster of the TV series. (https://youtu.be/hTfqTtKYLjo?t=275)
That means very little all things considered

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 am

YES because unlike you lucky English speaking fans, we still don't have an official release of Dragon Ball Z in Latin America. It's 2018 and we still don't. I mean, sure I guess I could just rip the new HD Toei remasters and mix them with the Latin American audio. But I don't want to do that and more importantly, I don't know how to do that. What sucks is that that's probably what I will end up doing anyway because the new Toei remasters are most likely not going to be multilanguage and we're not getting an official release of the Latin American dub anytime soon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am

Bajosexto wrote:YES because unlike you lucky English speaking fans, we still don't have an official release of Dragon Ball Z in Latin America. It's 2018 and we still don't. I mean, sure I guess I could just rip the new HD Toei remasters and mix them with the Latin American audio. But I don't want to do that and more importantly, I don't know how to do that. What sucks is that that's probably what I will end up doing anyway because the new Toei remasters are most likely not going to be multilanguage and we're not getting an official release of the Latin American dub anytime soon.
If these get made and ported worldwide then it'll be a great opportunity for the Latin American rights holders to give it a proper and definitive release over there.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am

sintzu wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:YES because unlike you lucky English speaking fans, we still don't have an official release of Dragon Ball Z in Latin America. It's 2018 and we still don't. I mean, sure I guess I could just rip the new HD Toei remasters and mix them with the Latin American audio. But I don't want to do that and more importantly, I don't know how to do that. What sucks is that that's probably what I will end up doing anyway because the new Toei remasters are most likely not going to be multilanguage and we're not getting an official release of the Latin American dub anytime soon.
If these get made and ported worldwide then it'll be a great opportunity for the Latin American rights holders to give it a proper and definitive release over there.
It would be. It probably won't be release in Latin America but I do hope it gets a release.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
as long as there is no evidence of no official announcement, this kind of rumor worth nothing

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:06 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:They can't for a simple reason, they aren't owner of any dub except the japanese one, all us dubs are property of their respective production company and the same for each countries, so it mean asked all countries the right for all dubbings, then synced them etc....it's impossible.

That’s not true. They own the subtitles AND the dubs that their licencers produce. That’s how licencing shows works. When a company’s licence expires, they are supposed to send everything they made back to Toei, so if they didn’t toss any of it, they should have even the Harmony Gold dub. It’s possible for them to put out BDs with multiple dubs and subtitles like Studio Ghibli did in their Miyazaki boxset. If they wanted to.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Meh, don't really need it as I am confident these releases will be licensed by international distributors anyway, and if MangaUK get this from Funimation I look forward to supporting them (as I'm doing with Super) so they can keep putting out more Dragon Ball.
Hmm, now that I think about it, didn't MangaUK only just get done with releasing all the movies on BluRay with the Funimation masters? What unfortunate timing, they probably won't be picking these up for a few years if at all, since they won't want to compete against their own release.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:

That’s not true. They own the subtitles AND the dubs that their licencers produce. That’s how licencing shows works. When a company’s licence expires, they are supposed to send everything they made back to Toei, so if they didn’t toss any of it, they should have even the Harmony Gold dub. It’s possible for them to put out BDs with multiple dubs and subtitles like Studio Ghibli did in their Miyazaki boxset. If they wanted to.
Okay but even with that, as long as licences didn't expire, all dub, subs aren't in Toei's hand, for example ,now they can't have french, english funimation, italia etc...so it mean lot of dub are actually licenced, so it could only be a multidub of lost dub...when you know the cost of a remaster, the cost of BD himself (more you add audiotracks less there will be episodes on them etc etc
i can't understand how there is again people that hope or think they'll release something multidub, multisub , it's like people that think they'll add english subs in theirs bluray...
Toei is cheap, if they made a remaster it will be really the highest you can expect of them, and anyway for the audios there is no chance for them using broadcast audios

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:Okay but even with that, as long as licences didn't expire, all dub, subs aren't in Toei's hand, for example ,now they can't have french, english funimation, italia etc...so it mean lot of dub are actually licenced, so it could only be a multidub of lost dub...when you know the cost of a remaster, the cost of BD himself (more you add audiotracks less there will be episodes on them etc etc
i can't understand how there is again people that hope or think they'll release something multidub, multisub , it's like people that think they'll add english subs in theirs bluray...
Toei is cheap, if they made a remaster it will be really the highest you can expect of them, and anyway for the audios there is no chance for them using broadcast audios
No, I think they could still get it. They technically own it, I believe, and can just ask for it. Ghibli's boxset had only Disney dubs. They could have (and I wish they had) used the original English dubs like on their DVDs and LDs.
I do think it's not gonna happen, BUT it's not impossible, and I do hope it does. Only if they have a complete dub, tho, which doesn't leave many dub options anyway. Funimation threw three (four?) audio tracks onto their releases no problem, so I think it shouldn't effect episode-count.
sintzu wrote:Other dubs won't hurt but it's not something I'm interested in as I watch my anime in English. I'm more than happy with Kai and its dub so I'll just be getting DB and the 17 movies. I wish Funimation would take this chance tor re-dub everything but that probably won't happen. Thankfully DB and the movies' dub aren't unwatchable like parts of Z's.
I don't agree with their DB dub being watchable. I'd much rather watch the Blue Water dub, honestly, but I don't see it to be likely that it has recorded lines for cut scenes. And the fact that I'd rather watch a BLUE WATER dub tells a lot on what I think of the quality of FUNi's dub is. Sure, most of FUNi's actors are better, but not for Gokuh or Bulma. Not by a long shot. And the script is far for accurate from what I'm seen. FUNi might one day redub the series to be good and faithful to the original (or another company, many even Toei themselves) since Funimation likes having new reasons to rerelease the series. We've gotten "The way it was meant to be seen!", so now I'm waiting for a "The way it was meant to be heard!". Lol.
Dragon Sponge wrote:Would you like for the new HD Remasters of the Movies & Tv Series to be Multi language?
I would love it. I'm really disappointed in the Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki BD boxset that got released outside Japan. The Japanese version had up to eight subtitle tracks (English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish, and Italian) and up to 12 audio tracks (English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese 5.1, Japanese 2.0, Korean, French, German, Finnish, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese). I feel like it's important for Toei to have their own multilingual release since most countries won't bother licencing the show for home video. Just look at poor Canada. They have to import from the U.S., right? And the U.k. only JUST got a consistent release. Plus there are other countries that got the English dub, but no complete home release (Nederland for example).
Last edited by linkdude20002001 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Do you think we can get the Ocean dubs of the fisrt 3 movies as a bonus track on the FUNi release?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:53 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Do you think we can get the Ocean dubs of the fisrt 3 movies as a bonus track on the FUNi release?
It's possible... If FUNi decides to release this, we should ask them to include it. It wouldn't cost them anything extra to throw on the original dub. They'd probably just need to see the demand for it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

That's not going to happen. Dubs and subs are country-specific just like region coding as well, it's all part of the business structure.

Customers from market A get the version A.
Customers from market B get the version B.
Customers from market C get the version C.

But can customers from the market A get the B version? No, they either buy the A ver. or nothing at all (unless import and it may not even include the language they know).

Although, in a perfect world a multi-language release would be great but don't count on it.
Deathbringer wrote:Hmm, now that I think about it, didn't MangaUK only just get done with releasing all the movies on BluRay with the Funimation masters? What unfortunate timing, they probably won't be picking these up for a few years if at all, since they won't want to compete against their own release.
It's not even their own release but Madman's with a cover labelled as "Manga UK".