Questions regarding productions(dbox etc)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nosferatu
Banned

Questions regarding productions(dbox etc)

Post by nosferatu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Hello first of all I'm from Austria(German speaking) so my english is not the best so sorry for that. Will have quite a few questions.

1. Can i watch the US Dragon Box on a Xbox one X i know i need region 2 but i read somewhere that region 4 might work on 2 too? (probably not but i want too be 100% sure)

2.I own know the Orange bricks because the German DVDs are based on the french master which is not UNCUT yet hilarriously cut since you see most gore in the recaps anyway but still a garbage release, and well for what it is very expensive .( at least its in 4:3). So i simply bought the US Version because i knew the DUB from the Games. BUT the dub often is well a joke while in German we have asshole,bitch and stuff like that, but too very innacurate Dialogues in english it became a kids show but still enjoyable few voices are very very bad but still. While Japanese is best i dont like reading subs and dont understanding, not even sure the subs are accurate.

3. 16;9 ??? i mean really? Why does the orange bricks look worse than the awful german dvds? because that looks like 80ties VHS at best but the bricks damn bright, colors everything is off not in every scene but most of the time. how its remastered ? you would think it looks better and not cut again....cropping is cut too so they are already on sale.....

4. So i googled and found 10 Episodes of the dragon box subbed in original quality on the wiki and :thumbup: that looks amazing (old but how it is) colors maybe off in comparison to the jp vhs but that is from the cyborg saga and the box footage was just the saiyajin saga so that could be it too.

5.Now sound i own a 600Euro Stereo Monitor speakers I'm quite an audiophile so my question is why is the Sound so bad on the dvds its really really bad(i mean the japaanese music can be so quiet in comparison to the voices), unless the vhs you wont believe me when i say the vhs sounds by far better then the dvds dont matter if german or bricks, i thought my speakers are broken, its just clear(of corse still bad in comparison to HD Sound from bluray movies but for its age and vhs not bad but its mono) and much better volumes.

6. How does the dragon boxes sound the ten episodes i saw were bad but it was digital and i dont trust any digital quality(but some of you surely know that a 4k stream is garbage in comparison to disk), picture was awesome though on even a 4k monitor and tv.

last question I'm srry i got carried away :lolno: i now want buy dragon boxes( of course i cant even find them, money dont matter) with the hope of the sound quality from the vhs but i saw that dragonball and some z movies get proper remaster 4:3 1080p with original grain (which is a lot) if even true thats why I'm asking?

so maybe we get dragon box for the 2 series on bluray properly remastered?? in 2 years or is it just the movies?? a men can dream because i dont think i will get all 7 dboxes, damn toei for that with their cultural bullS. original stuff belongs to us :thumbdown: they would not give it to us even if they made huge money out of it thats why they were limited after all, i even wonder they let you lucky US guys even get them, Funi surely paid well. just let us enjoy it in good quality toei!!!

whats with the us blurays for z? never saw them?

every help is appreciated :)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Questions regarding productions(dbox etc)

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:13 pm

nosferatu wrote:1. Can i watch the US Dragon Box on a Xbox one X i know i need region 2 but i read somewhere that region 4 might work on 2 too? (probably not but i want too be 100% sure)
USA is region 1, so no.
You could import the Japanese boxes(R2), and those should play, but they won't have subtitles or anything, so unless you can understand Japanese, you'll be lost there.
nosferatu wrote:2.I own know the Orange bricks because the German DVDs are based on the french master which is not UNCUT yet hilarriously cut since you see most gore in the recaps anyway but still a garbage release, and well for what it is very expensive .( at least its in 4:3). So i simply bought the US Version because i knew the DUB from the Games. BUT the dub often is well a joke while in German we have asshole,bitch and stuff like that, but too very innacurate Dialogues in english it became a kids show but still enjoyable few voices are very very bad but still. While Japanese is best i dont like reading subs and dont understanding, not even sure the subs are accurate.

3. 16;9 ??? i mean really? Why does the orange bricks look worse than the awful german dvds? because that looks like 80ties VHS at best but the bricks damn bright, colors everything is off not in every scene but most of the time. how its remastered ? you would think it looks better and not cut again....cropping is cut too so they are already on sale.....
Funimation suck at video mastering, that's why.
nosferatu wrote:4. So i googled and found 10 Episodes of the dragon box subbed in original quality on the wiki and :thumbup: that looks amazing (old but how it is) colors maybe off in comparison to the jp vhs but that is from the cyborg saga and the box footage was just the saiyajin saga so that could be it too.

5.Now sound i own a 600Euro Stereo Monitor speakers I'm quite an audiophile so my question is why is the Sound so bad on the dvds its really really bad(i mean the japaanese music can be so quiet in comparison to the voices), unless the vhs you wont believe me when i say the vhs sounds by far better then the dvds dont matter if german or bricks, i thought my speakers are broken, its just clear(of corse still bad in comparison to HD Sound from bluray movies but for its age and vhs not bad but its mono) and much better volumes.
See here.

This video is slightly out of date in that some much higher-quality sources and some entirely different sources have been passed along to Funimation now, and about 20 episodes of the original Dragon Ball series' audio has been recovered, and the video skipped over the situation regarding GT(Toei has proper audio for it, Funi may do too, but if Funi don't, it'd be easy for them to get it), but basically it's as described there.
nosferatu wrote:6. How does the dragon boxes sound the ten episodes i saw were bad but it was digital and i dont trust any digital quality(but some of you surely know that a 4k stream is garbage in comparison to disk), picture was awesome though on even a 4k monitor and tv.
It would've been an online pirate encode, which will mean it was degraded from the original data stored on the DVD.
"Digital quality" is not really a thing. The fact digital video has to be compressed in ways that do degrade the quality is unavoidable, but usually not noticeable on good encodes like that on the official Dragon Box DVDs, most Blu-Rays, etc. But online encodes usually re-encode the DVD data to get smaller files, so the result us often crap.
nosferatu wrote:last question I'm srry i got carried away :lolno: i now want buy dragon boxes( of course i cant even find them, money dont matter) with the hope of the sound quality from the vhs but i saw that dragonball and some z movies get proper remaster 4:3 1080p with original grain (which is a lot) if even true thats why I'm asking?

so maybe we get dragon box for the 2 series on bluray properly remastered?? in 2 years or is it just the movies?? a men can dream because i dont think i will get all 7 dboxes, damn toei for that with their cultural bullS. original stuff belongs to us :thumbdown: they would not give it to us even if they made huge money out of it thats why they were limited after all, i even wonder they let you lucky US guys even get them, Funi surely paid well. just let us enjoy it in good quality toei!!!
If you pick up the DBoxes, you'll get a pretty decent picture, and certainly much better than any other release out there, but honestly I'd suggest waiting; if the new HD masters of the movies Toei are putting out in Japan lead to them remastering the series, that'd be a new HD master from Toei better than any previous master of the series, which Funimation and other foreign distributors may then import.

Honestly, the Dragon Boxes are not that good. They were okay as Japan's only DVD release, done in 2003-2006, but by modern standards they're honestly kind of terrible; tons of mastering errors, lots of incompetence behind some of the mastering decisions(Such as the decision to run no colour correction at all over it), and really, they're only considered the "Best" releases because they're better than all the other releases, which are total crap... And the USA release of the boxes only covered Z.
nosferatu wrote:whats with the us blurays for z? never saw them?
They suck. Basically the Orange Bricks, but in HD, but uglier, but without the line erasure. People have argued for pages and pages over whether the OBs or BDs are worse, but both of them suck, and neither of them are worth your money.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am

Thank you a lot.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Funimation suck at video mastering, that's why.
Wouldn't really say that, just look at their Dragon Ball Z Level remastered episodes and Dragon Ball Movies 3 & 4 in high definition, it's quite something. Funimation doesn't put any effort into their products because they know they'll sell regardless if the quality's good or ass.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Wouldn't really say that, just look at their Dragon Ball Z Level remastered episodes and Dragon Ball Movies 3 & 4 in high definition, it's quite something. Funimation doesn't put any effort into their products because they know they'll sell regardless if the quality's good or ass.
Me either in buu arc it looks good but cropped is just :thumbdown: . recently saw the bluray much better sometimes bright but colorrs are much more closer to the original but still cropped.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
If DB movies 1, 3, and 4, and the Levels were the rule instead of the exception, I would agree with you. But they are the exception, and the rule is that they suck. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 pm

nosferatu wrote:BUT the dub often is well a joke while in German we have asshole,bitch and stuff like that, but too very innacurate Dialogues in english it became a kids show but still enjoyable few voices are very very bad but still. While Japanese is best i dont like reading subs and dont understanding, not even sure the subs are accurate.
But Dragon Ball IS a kids show. Not that I mind the use of ‘asshole’ and ‘bitch’ in a kids show. My point just being that Toei made it for children to watch. The subtitels are great by the way. I’d change a few things, but still excellent.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:31 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
nosferatu wrote:BUT the dub often is well a joke while in German we have asshole,bitch and stuff like that, but too very innacurate Dialogues in english it became a kids show but still enjoyable few voices are very very bad but still. While Japanese is best i dont like reading subs and dont understanding, not even sure the subs are accurate.
But Dragon Ball IS a kids show. Not that I mind the use of ‘asshole’ and ‘bitch’ in a kids show. My point just being that Toei made it for children to watch. The subtitels are great by the way. I’d change a few things, but still excellent.
If you would have seen it in German it doesnt looked like that it was aired 1 hour before prime time in tv. I never saw cartoon where the main character calls a mom slut. Read again. But i know where you are comming from US is embarrassingly conservative. my english strikes here srry.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:11 pm

nosferatu wrote:If you would have seen it in German it doesnt looked like that it was aired 1 hour before prime time in tv. I never saw cartoon where the main character calls a mom slut. Read again. But i know where you are comming from US is embarrassingly conservative. my english strikes here srry.
What I mean is that in JAPAN it's a show for children. They don't go around calling people sluts or assholes. They speak appropriately for a Japanese children's show.
If it was rebranded as a show for adults in Germany, that's kind of strange...but was that to prevent having to sensor the alcohol, nudity, and Turtel-Hermit perverted stuff? In the U.S., Funimation did that to a show calld Crayon Shin-chan since they knew parents wouldn't let their kids watch it, so they rewrote it for adults.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 pm

nosferatu wrote:Hello first of all I'm from Austria(German speaking) so my english is not the best so sorry for that. Will have quite a few questions.

1. Can i watch the US Dragon Box on a Xbox one X i know i need region 2 but i read somewhere that region 4 might work on 2 too? (probably not but i want too be 100% sure)

2.I own know the Orange bricks because the German DVDs are based on the french master which is not UNCUT yet hilarriously cut since you see most gore in the recaps anyway but still a garbage release, and well for what it is very expensive .( at least its in 4:3). So i simply bought the US Version because i knew the DUB from the Games. BUT the dub often is well a joke while in German we have asshole,bitch and stuff like that, but too very innacurate Dialogues in english it became a kids show but still enjoyable few voices are very very bad but still. While Japanese is best i dont like reading subs and dont understanding, not even sure the subs are accurate.

4. So i googled and found 10 Episodes of the dragon box subbed in original quality on the wiki and :thumbup: that looks amazing (old but how it is) colors maybe off in comparison to the jp vhs but that is from the cyborg saga and the box footage was just the saiyajin saga so that could be it too.

6. How does the dragon boxes sound the ten episodes i saw were bad but it was digital and i dont trust any digital quality(but some of you surely know that a 4k stream is garbage in comparison to disk), picture was awesome though on even a 4k monitor and tv.

last question I'm srry i got carried away :lolno: i now want buy dragon boxes( of course i cant even find them, money dont matter) with the hope of the sound quality from the vhs but i saw that dragonball and some z movies get proper remaster 4:3 1080p with original grain (which is a lot) if even true thats why I'm asking?

whats with the us blurays for z? never saw them?

every help is appreciated :)
Yeah, I’ve got a $135,000.00 sound system, and even VHS audio from the original broadcast sounds horrible when compared to master audio from DBZ BIG BOX. As far as video goes, the Dragon Boxes look terrible (unless you’re able to properly color correct them). Besides having color corrected DBZ movies from Amazon Netflix, nothing else is worth watching because every release of the series was remastered by retards.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People