The case of Tenshinhan origin ???

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

The case of Tenshinhan origin ???

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am

Well I came across at an interesting Toriyama interview that can be read in the very first issue of the American "Shonen Jump", dated: Vol. 1, #1, January 2003. Here is the topic:
viewtopic.php?p=486325#p486325

This is the part that was interesting to me
(11) What's up with the third eye on my main man Tenshinhan? Is Tenshinhan human?
- Charles Moyer, California; Evan Coltin, Via Internet
T: In certain parts of Asia, beings with a third eye on their forehead are thought to be godlike and are said to possess the power of true seeing. It seems that Tenshinhan, who was raised by the evil Tsuru-Sen'nin [Crane Hermit], lost the ability to use the myriad powers of his third eye for good purposes.
So it seems that Tenshinhan is not human ? And from heavenly descent ? So I went to decipher his kanji name at our beloved Tenshinhan (天津飯) and also check how is spelled Triclops in japan.

So its name comes from Tenshinhan (天津 飯) or Tenshindon (天津 丼). This is a crab omelet with rice. The rice is called "han" (飯) in Japanese, "Tenshin" is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese "Tientsin" which is also called "Tianjin" and which is the name of the city where the high quality rice comes from that composes this dish. Also if we take his specific physical aspect he is a triclops. A Triclops in japanese is written like this (トリクロプス)

Now we have his name and the name of what is called a Triclops in japanese, do you still follow me I hope so ?

Let's take a look at both Kanji name:

-天津飯
-トリクロプス

This (天) Kanji is interesting because this one is use for naming heaven or sky another meaning is that this kanjin reference the Deva, the Deva in Sanskrit are twelve Hinduism deities who were included in the Buddhist pantheon as protectors of the Buddha and his Law. The other Kanji thats intrigue me in the second word, is this one (トリ) that means bird.

So the species of Tenshinhan could be of heavenly descent like some sort of angel like Whis but a lowcast of angel perhaps ? And also that this species are a based on some kind of bird that would have evolved into human form (losing beak, wings and other bird features). Thought does that makes sense to you and do you think my description is spot on ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: The case of Tenshinhan origin ???

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm

As far as I can tell, Tien is a martial artist with exceptional ability who is able to use the third eye for extra-sensory perception.

That said, maybe Tien could have done with being of unearthly origin.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:03 pm

There was also the comment in one of the guides that mentioned that he was a descendant of the "Three-Eyed Tribe," who were humans who interbred with some three-eyed alien species at some point in the past, and his ability to sprout extra arms is something he inherited from them (in addition to the obvious having-three-eyes thing, of course.)

So yes, Tenshinhan definitely does have some non-human ancestry. The exact nature of the aliens that his ancestors' tribe interbred with to get their third eyes hasn't ever been explored in any more detail, so it's entirely possible they were beings from the afterlife (like all the Kais, Mr. Popo, Karin, Bubbles, etc.) who interbred with humans rather than just "regular" aliens from some other planet.
A Triclops in japanese is written like this (トリクロプス)
That's katakana, which is used for non-Japanese words primarily. It's just "triclops" in English, transliterated into Japanese. So...
The other Kanji thats intrigue me in the second word, is this one (トリ) that means bird.

So the species of Tenshinhan could be of heavenly descent like some sort of angel like Whis but a lowcast of angel perhaps ? And also that this species are a based on some kind of bird that would have evolved into human form (losing beak, wings and other bird features)
...I wouldn't read too much into Japanese words that coincidentally ended up in the katakana-ization of "triclops," since the word isn't Japanese in the first place and nobody in-series even calls him that.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Tenshinhan having a "godlike" trait doesn't make him switch categories and count as an actual lower god now instead of an Earthling. Goku and Vegeta have "godlike" traits now too ever since training under Whis, but that doesn't make switch from being Saiyans to being gods.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:50 pm

I wonder when will they will mention this beyond the little information.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 am

Kaboom wrote:Tenshinhan having a "godlike" trait doesn't make him switch categories and count as an actual lower god now instead of an Earthling. Goku and Vegeta have "godlike" traits now too ever since training under Whis, but that doesn't make switch from being Saiyans to being gods.
I didn't mean he was some kind of god like species, but more likely some kind of cellestial being like a Seraph or a Cherub, to summarise a species that helped the god at some point in their history !
Pantalones wrote:There was also the comment in one of the guides that mentioned that he was a descendant of the "Three-Eyed Tribe," who were humans who interbred with some three-eyed alien species at some point in the past, and his ability to sprout extra arms is something he inherited from them (in addition to the obvious having-three-eyes thing, of course.)

So yes, Tenshinhan definitely does have some non-human ancestry. The exact nature of the aliens that his ancestors' tribe interbred with to get their third eyes hasn't ever been explored in any more detail, so it's entirely possible they were beings from the afterlife (like all the Kais, Mr. Popo, Karin, Bubbles, etc.) who interbred with humans rather than just "regular" aliens from some other planet.
A Triclops in japanese is written like this (トリクロプス)
That's katakana, which is used for non-Japanese words primarily. It's just "triclops" in English, transliterated into Japanese. So...
The other Kanji thats intrigue me in the second word, is this one (トリ) that means bird.

So the species of Tenshinhan could be of heavenly descent like some sort of angel like Whis but a lowcast of angel perhaps ? And also that this species are a based on some kind of bird that would have evolved into human form (losing beak, wings and other bird features)
...I wouldn't read too much into Japanese words that coincidentally ended up in the katakana-ization of "triclops," since the word isn't Japanese in the first place and nobody in-series even calls him that.
Thanks for the preciseness of your comment japanese language is so complicated lol, true though we shouldn't read too much into Japanese word but it's funny to see that a Katana does possessed a word reading bird and that the name Tenshinhan does have a Kanji who read Heaven. Not so a coindence IMHO and point of view.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu