Put your false Dragon Ball memories and confusions here

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Put your false Dragon Ball memories and confusions here

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:48 am

This is something that I beleive it happens to everyone who watched Dragon Ball when they were younger. Because of time and other stuff, memories will distort and will make you beleive something happened until you see it again. Confusions here refer to what you used to beleive. I simply put confusion instead because I wanted a shorter title.

I start:

False Memories:
1. For some reason Kid Trunks didn't existed and his role was replaced by Krillin. So it was bizarre remembering him with Goten.
2. Dabura didn't existed either and he was replaced by Majin Vegeta. I falsely remembered Vegeta becoming a cookie.
3. Cell absorbed 18 in his imperfect form and remained the same, Trunks inmidieately threw Cell far away after doing that. I didn't remembered or realized Cell died and I was wondering where he went.
4. Adult Gohan didn't existed, or at least I confused him with Yamcha or just plain forgot despite the fact he was important in the Buu arc.

Confusions/what I used to think:
1. Vegeta and Majin Vegeta were not the same character. I didn't see every episode so that is part of a reason.
2. Yamcha was related to Goku and he was a saiyan.
3. Every male character with hair could become a super saiyan.
4. I thought cell Saga and Buu SAga chronologicaly predated the Saiyan Saga. As a result I thought Pan was Goku's kid and was the same as kid Gohan. I also wanted Majin Buu to protect Pan/kid Gohan from Raditz because of this.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Put your false Dragon Ball memories and confusions here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 am

Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 am

False Memories:
I used to have this memory of me hearing the narrator specifically calling Trunk's buff "utra" Super Saiyan form "Super Saiyajin 3". I remember him going someting like "Trunks se transformo en el Super Saiyajin 3". Of course this is not true. That form isn't even named in the series. While I do have other false memories/misconceptions, this is the one that sticks out the most to me. I literally used to think that I had heard the narrator say "Trunks se transformo en el Super Saiyajin 3" or something similar to that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am

Back in the late 90's, I was told on the playground that Gohan gets kidnapt by the Saiyans and traind into some kind of super warrior. :/
I was also told that Bulma had met Gohan before episode 1 of DBZ, and used to babysit him in fact. I think the person had his knowledge of the first story arc of DB a bit mixt up...
Personally, I had a lot of misunderstandings from getting Gokuh, Gohan, Goten, and Yamcha mixt up, as well as all the blond guys (Super Saiyan Gogeta, Vegetto, Gohan, and Gokuh). I can't remember anythin more, tho.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 am

I used to be very confused by the movies. It was a time when I couldn’t catch all the episodes on TV, and hadn’t really a clear idea of a main continuity, and I watched a few episodes in the wrong order.
I was quite sure that Goku had first transformed in a Super Saiyan on Earth against Cooler, as I saw the movie on TV before Namek arc. Then I saw that he first turned into one on Namek, and so I was sure the movie happened on Earth after Namek and before Trunks arrived, then of course it made no sense as Goku was in space so it must have happened after Trunks, but then I couldn’t explain why Goku wasn’t able to turn Super Saiyan right off the bat in the movie, so I had this weird misconception that Goku went back to Earth for that period and then for some reason he went back to space. The movies were so fucking confusing, and my television channel airing them out of sync with the airings of DBZ was even more confusing. Of course Cooler’s movie wasn’t the only one confusing me.

I also believed Broly to be the most powerful foe of all Dragon Ball, and that he was on par with the SS4s, probably due to Budokai 3, a game I played before I even saw GT so I knew little of SS4 besides its existence which I already knew due to the PS1 games. I felt like GT was some mystical show that still hadn’t been released in my country. That wasn’t true, but at the time it wasn’t airing and there were few airings of it in my country. I don’t even remember when I first watched it. I just knew of its existence thanks to games, and I was ignorant about its plot so I thought Broly appeared in it.
I also had a few Broly toys which were very rare to find, which only added a sense of mystique to its character.

I was sure that Dragon Ball GT was written by Akira Toriyama’s son, and that Toriyama had stepped in to design Super Saiyan 4 and to give some advice for Baby arc onwards as the show had been bad prior to it. I remember reading this somewhere, and as a kid of course I believed everything I read on the internet and surely there wasn’t much documentation in Italian about Dragon Ball at the time.

I am sure there are many other misconceptions I had, but these are the main ones I remember. I already cleared most of my misconceptions as a kid due to the videogames and the internet. I do not even remember what sites I followed lol. But many of them were full of headcanon, made up power levels and other made up things as the one I mentioned above.

(Holy crap I found one of the sites I remember: http://www.vegeth.it/ - the English version doesn’t work. It’s quite old looking, it’s so funny to look at it now, but it’s actually full of information and mostly well documented. I am sure there are some misconceptions thrown there, such as the famous Z of DBZ originally being a 2 and there are probably many others, but at least they confirmed AF as being a fake! There also 208 different ways to kill Bulma... someone must really hate her lol. I have no idea when the site was last updated, so maybe it used to be different when I saw it as a kid.
Jeez, I was always quite obsessed with this franchise :lol:)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 am

emperior wrote:I used to be very confused by the movies. It was a time when I couldn’t catch all the episodes on TV, and hadn’t really a clear idea of a main continuity, and I watched a few episodes in the wrong order.
I was quite sure that Goku had first transformed in a Super Saiyan on Earth against Cooler, as I saw the movie on TV before Namek arc. Then I saw that he first turned into one on Namek, and so I was sure the movie happened on Earth after Namek and before Trunks arrived, then of course it made no sense as Goku was in space so it must have happened after Trunks, but then I couldn’t explain why Goku wasn’t able to turn Super Saiyan right off the bat in the movie, so I had this weird misconception that Goku went back to Earth for that period and then for some reason he went back to space. The movies were so fucking confusing, and my television channel airing them out of sync with the airings of DBZ was even more confusing. Of course Cooler’s movie wasn’t the only one confusing me.
This is basically what happend to me as kid too. Since I had no internet or the home release, I had to rely on TV arings to watch my Dragon Ball. I would catch some parts of the Cell arc on canal 5, then for one reason or the other I was suddenly watching the Freeza arc, then I would continue with the Boo arc, then with the Saiyan arc, and it continue like this. If I missed the finale of a certain arc, I would have to wait until canal 5 would re-aired the show. Because of this, I saw stuff like the Super Saiyan 3 before watching the Kamehameha struggle between Gohan and Cell. This was essentially how I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z.

I also didn't know that the movies where movies. And that's thanks to the movies having the exact same intros as the series. I just thought they were normal episodes. So the first time I saw Broli I thought he was Vegeta because he kept screaming "Kakarotto!" And because I saw the second Broli movie around the time canal 5 was aring the episode were Vegeta sacrifices himself. I thought he somehow got frozen after the explosion (don't ask why I thought that. I was eight) and was screaming "Kakarotto!!" for no reason. :lol:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am

Bajosexto wrote:
emperior wrote:I used to be very confused by the movies. It was a time when I couldn’t catch all the episodes on TV, and hadn’t really a clear idea of a main continuity, and I watched a few episodes in the wrong order.
This is basically what happend to me as kid too. Since I had no internet or the home release, I had to rely on TV arings to watch my Dragon Ball. I would catch some parts of the Cell arc on canal 5, then for one reason or the other I was suddenly watching the Freeza arc, then I would continue with the Boo arc, then with the Saiyan arc, and it continue like this. If I missed the finale of a certain arc, I would have to wait until canal 5 would re-aired the show. Because of this, I saw stuff like the Super Saiyan 3 before watching the Kamehameha struggle between Gohan and Cell. This was essentially how I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z.

I also didn't know that the movies where movies. And that's thanks to the movies having the exact same intros as the series. I just thought they were normal episodes. So the first time I saw Broli I thought he was Vegeta because he kept screaming "Kakarotto!" And because I saw the second Broli movie around the time canal 5 was aring the episode were Vegeta sacrifices himself. I thought he somehow got frozen after the explosion (don't ask why I thought that. I was eight) and was screaming "Kakarotto!!" for no reason. :lol:
I think lots of us here grew up like that. I remember I had to rely on magazines to know what time my favorite shows were airing. I was always very hyped when reading of upcoming Dragon Ball re-airs, also to catch those episodes I too missed for one reason or another. They also used to switch tv slots at times, or maybe there were two different ones out of sync so it was really confusing.
I managed to record a few episodes on tape and I bought a few DVDs and Manga volumes, but I remember those being quite rare so I basically had a few pieces here and there, but I wasn’t even close to the full story. I still own some of those!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am

emperior wrote:I think lots of us here grew up like that. I remember I had to rely on magazines to know what time my favorite shows were airing. I was always very hyped when reading of upcoming Dragon Ball re-airs, also to catch those episodes I too missed for one reason or another. They also used to switch tv slots at times, or maybe there were two different ones out of sync so it was really confusing.
I managed to record a few episodes on tape and I bought a few DVDs and Manga volumes, but I remember those being quite rare so I basically had a few pieces here and there, but I wasn’t even close to the full story. I still own some of those!
Kids these days have it easy. They can literally buy the whole series on DVD/Bluray or stream the whole series online if they want. They don't need to wait for another re-run to catch that one episode they haven't watched yet. But then... I also had it good. The whole franchise had practically been dub in Latin America by the time I started watching Dragon Ball Z back in 2001. So I didn't have to deal with constant reruns of the Saiyan arc like in Mexico or constant reruns of the Saiyan/Namek arc like in the US. I got to experience everything without waiting for an arc/movie to get dubbed.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:33 am

False or I should say interesting memories I had was I used to think the original Japanese version/ script for Dragonball/Z had swearing and offensive words in it. Some random website I used to go to would upload videos from the series but would add there own subtitles....so I used to be obsessed with trying to find any videos that would have the original Japanese script.

Eventually when I completed the series and old enough to understand the tone it was going for, I grew out of that idea that the origibal Japanese version had swearing.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 am

A lot of my early misconceptions stemmed from the fact that the toys we had in the UK where waaaay ahead of the show as it aired on tv, due to AB Groupe not giving a shit. Around the time the Cell saga was airing we had toys of Super Buu, Janemba, Gotenks, SS3 Goku, Adult Gohan, Gogeta, and Vegito coming out. I had no internet access until mid 2004 so had no way of knowing.

Here's a few really funny misconceptions I had because of the toys;

I used to think Janemba might be another form of Cell beyond Perfect. The funny thing is that to this this day Movie 12 has never aired in the UK and only came out here on DVD/Blu-ray earlier this year. For some reason the Cell saga felt like it would be the end of the series, and because I also had no idea there were 13 movies I assumed Janemba was Cell.

I once had a small figure of one of Gotenks' Super Ghosts and mistook it for the ghost of Vegeta due to the similar hairstyle. I later had the theory that he ended up as a ghost after blowing himself up against Buu.

I used to think the SS1 Vegito figures where just Goku with different colour clothes.

Also I had this sticker book that said Turles was Goku's brother which I took as fact, even though the movies hadn't even been released here yet.
Last edited by 90sDBZ on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 am

I remember thinking that Broly is just Trunks after some extreme transformation :lol: I had Broly toy and i thought it was Trunks lmao.
I didn't see any movies during DB run in TV and wasn't aware of their existence for years. I only saw fragments on one AMV later.

The same way i thought:
-Hirudegarn is Cell's next form
-Cooler is Frieza's next form
-Super 13 is Vegeta after some weird transformation lmao

This is all because i didn't see movies and thought those scenes on AMV are from series episodes i missed or didn't watch yet.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I hadn't seen the whole series or read the manga, just what aired on US TV in the 90s. I had only read the Curtis Hoffman summaries and bought the video game, DBZ Legends. I thought the final level took place on New Namek. I don't know why I didn't know it was the Kaioshin Realm.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Well, the only thing that really comes to mind is that my brother and I were convinced that Akira Toriyama came back into a much more active role for the production of the Evil Dragons arc of GT, and that was why it was so much better than the arcs before it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, the only thing that really comes to mind is that my brother and I were convinced that Akira Toriyama came back into a much more active role for the production of the Evil Dragons arc of GT, and that was why it was so much better than the arcs before it.

lol The Baby Arc is far far far better imo
GT Fighter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Well, the only thing that really comes to mind is that my brother and I were convinced that Akira Toriyama came back into a much more active role for the production of the Evil Dragons arc of GT, and that was why it was so much better than the arcs before it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I consider the Evil Dragons arc better, but to each their own.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am surprised because even people who hate GT admit that the Baby Saga is really good
GT Fighter

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:06 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am surprised because even people who hate GT admit that the Baby Saga is really good
Honestly the main reason why Shadow Dragons arc can't be better than Baby arc is Omega Shenron.
There is popular opinion that "only last 3 dragons were good" which is a total bs to me.

If all dragons were more like Haze or Oceanus with Pan being active in fights as well then i think this saga could actually be even better than Baby.
If there is one problem i have with Baby saga it's that Pan was too weak to do any fighting and this is something that early episodes of Shadow Dragons saga did better.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

emperior wrote:I felt like GT was some mystical show that still hadn’t been released in my country.
That’s how I felt about DBGT as well, in addition to most of DBZ (we only got to the Gi’nyu stuff at the time), and all the old games.

Also, since you mentioned an old fan site, one of my favorites was an Italian site calld...Majin Gogeta or something like that. I found it recently, so once I get home, I’ll look thru my Favorites.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, it's not that I particularly dislike it; I am a big fan of GT in general, I just think Evil Dragons was a much stronger arc than Baby.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Honestly the main reason why Shadow Dragons arc can't be better than Baby arc is Omega Shenron.
There is popular opinion that "only last 3 dragons were good" which is a total bs to me.

If all dragons were more like Haze or Oceanus with Pan being active in fights as well then i think this saga could actually be even better than Baby.
If there is one problem i have with Baby saga it's that Pan was too weak to do any fighting and this is something that early episodes of Shadow Dragons saga did better.
To me, the "Problem" of Pan and everyone else not being the ones fighting the dragons has never been anything more than the typical ignorance of the fact that GT was deliberately going for a fairly streamlined approach where the core cast doing the majority of stuff in the series would be just three or four people, with the extended cast of Dragon Ball getting their moments in the limelight when the opportunity struck to tell a good story with them, but otherwise mostly ignoring them, as it would just clutter things up, and in a lot of cases would be hard to justify, as happens in the Boo arc(Incredibly cluttered... So much going on... It was an ambitious arc to tell, and ultimately worked as a finalé arc, but the next place to go was definitely smaller, more streamlined, and GT accomplished that), as happens in Super(Massively cluttered cast, so not only is there no real development or progression for anyone, characters are flanderised to throw them in, and of course, the justifications for many of the characters being involved are incomprehensible nonsense), and as happens in a few of the movies, particularly ones like the second Coola movie, which basically tried to compensate for its nonsensical, paper-thin excuse for a plot by throwing in as many characters as it could, which just kind of made the thing a mess...
You're totally allowed to dislike this approach, but I happen to think it was a masterstroke.

As for Yi Xing Long, he was basically a better-presented version of what Toriyama did for the kid form of Boo, to me. Both are basically agents of pure destruction, but while kid Boo is basically just an excuse to throw aside the incredibly dull, directionless, and nonsensical situation of the plot at that point in the Boo arc and just put all the action somewhere else, and give us a good little finalé without the need for Super Boo to actually undergo any kind of character progression or interaction which would lead him to resort to the extremes kid Boo reached... Yi Xing Long, meanwhile, was a way to throw a twist on the formula the Evil Dragons arc had established up to that point, and his presence as an ultimate force of destruction who'll even go as far as to kill the other dragons makes the mythos of the Evil Dragons themselves make more sense...
Where kid Boo was a way of suddenly jamming in a last-minute change in Boo's nature so the end of the arc could be restaged in a much more climactic, final, and dramatic way, Yi Xing Long was a logical follow-up to the mythos so far established of the Evil Dragons, and while he isn't particularly interesting in himself as a character, neither was Boo. And yet, at least in my opinion, both were good final antagonists to throw at us for the ending.

Ultimately, Yi Xing Long is not particularly interesting as a character, but is more just a vehicle by which to show the final element of the Evil Dragons mythos we hadn't seen so far, provide us a rather epic fight to conclude the franchise at the time on, and give us some rather neat character moments... He's more a thing for others to bounce off and react to than an interesting thing in and of himself, but given how well that worked previously with Freeza, kid Boo, Super Boo, and arguably a couple of the Red Ribbon antagonists, it's not exactly surprising they'd do it again, especially for a finalé, since -- as demonstrated by kid Boo -- using with the most basic setup of a really strong thing everyone has to pull out their absolute final trump cards to beat is a pretty strong way to conclude the story...
As it ends up, I don't think the fight with Yi Xing Long is a good ending for GT, or for Dragon Ball in general; the end of the fight kind of comes out of no-where, it's arguably too similar to the kid Boo fight, etc., etc... But that fight is not how GT ended, the way GT ended was with the sentimental farewell character piece of episode 64, which in my opinion was 22 minutes of perfection. And with that there, just like with the epilogue after the fight with kid Boo, we're given a character conclusion, and the space to say goodbye to this world, these characters, this story, etc., and it gives us everything the concluding fight didn't give us. Z and GT had very different approaches at this sort of epilogue section, and it's up to the individual to decide which did it better, but putting that aside, I think GT did an awesome job there, and I think it does a lot to strengthen the Evil Dragons arc overall that it has such an amazing conclusion.

Anyway, we're getting off track here, so I suggest you bring this up in another topic or PM me if you wish to discuss this further.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:40 pm

I was convinced for the longest time that Goku went back in time at the end of the Cell arc using Trunks' time machine and met his younger self from the original Dragon Ball.

I think this might be some kind of Mandela effect thing because I swear I saw this scene as a child, but obviously it doesn't exist.