Put your false Dragon Ball memories and confusions here

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Put your false Dragon Ball memories and confusions here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 pm

theTUN wrote:I was convinced for the longest time that Goku went back in time at the end of the Cell arc using Trunks' time machine and met his younger self from the original Dragon Ball.

I think this might be some kind of Mandela effect thing because I swear I saw this scene as a child, but obviously it doesn't exist.
You didn't imagine it. It's from an obscure OVA.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
theTUN wrote:I was convinced for the longest time that Goku went back in time at the end of the Cell arc using Trunks' time machine and met his younger self from the original Dragon Ball.

I think this might be some kind of Mandela effect thing because I swear I saw this scene as a child, but obviously it doesn't exist.
You didn't imagine it.
I've been shown this clip before, and this definitely isn't what I saw.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Before I was a fan of Dragon Ball and when I was brand new, my confusions where:

- I thought Vegeta dies in GT. One old fan site had a episode summary of Goku defeating Baby and mentioned that Vegeta died along with Baby. I thought Vegeta would be wish back or escape out of Hell in GT.
- I thought Vegeta Jr was Kid Vegeta and Vegeta was wish back into a little kid as well
- I thought Gogeta and Vegito where two sayains that came from Planet Vegeta, and Gogeta would beat Buu.
- I thought Super 17 absorbs #19
- I thought all the Buu's were a different person, like an evil family.
- Pilaf and Garlic Jr are brothers
- General White was Dr.Gero
- I was told that Broli returns back in GT and teams up with Goku against the Shadow Dragons
- I thought Baby was related to Majin Buu
- I thought the Shadow Dragons are the ones who erased the memories of Majin Buu
- I thought DBZ in Japanese was some hardcore ultra violent show similar to Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34
- I remember someone at my school told me that GT would air on HBO because the series is more darker and violent than DBZ. He mention the show having a lot of sex and rape scenes in it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Dragon Ball AF.

Just everything about that

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:- I thought Baby was related to Majin Buu
So did I.

Come to think of it, I recall also being confused about how the arcs spread across the different series; I remember thinking the Boo arc actually crossed over from Z into GT aswell.
Hellspawn28 wrote:- I remember someone at my school told me that GT would air on HBO because the series is more darker and violent than DBZ. He mention the show having a lot of sex and rape scenes in it.
I find that utterly hilarious, for so many reasons.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 am

Bajosexto wrote:
emperior wrote:I used to be very confused by the movies. It was a time when I couldn’t catch all the episodes on TV, and hadn’t really a clear idea of a main continuity, and I watched a few episodes in the wrong order.
I was quite sure that Goku had first transformed in a Super Saiyan on Earth against Cooler, as I saw the movie on TV before Namek arc. Then I saw that he first turned into one on Namek, and so I was sure the movie happened on Earth after Namek and before Trunks arrived, then of course it made no sense as Goku was in space so it must have happened after Trunks, but then I couldn’t explain why Goku wasn’t able to turn Super Saiyan right off the bat in the movie, so I had this weird misconception that Goku went back to Earth for that period and then for some reason he went back to space. The movies were so fucking confusing, and my television channel airing them out of sync with the airings of DBZ was even more confusing. Of course Cooler’s movie wasn’t the only one confusing me.
This is basically what happend to me as kid too. Since I had no internet or the home release, I had to rely on TV arings to watch my Dragon Ball. I would catch some parts of the Cell arc on canal 5, then for one reason or the other I was suddenly watching the Freeza arc, then I would continue with the Boo arc, then with the Saiyan arc, and it continue like this. If I missed the finale of a certain arc, I would have to wait until canal 5 would re-aired the show. Because of this, I saw stuff like the Super Saiyan 3 before watching the Kamehameha struggle between Gohan and Cell. This was essentially how I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z.

I also didn't know that the movies where movies. And that's thanks to the movies having the exact same intros as the series. I just thought they were normal episodes. So the first time I saw Broli I thought he was Vegeta because he kept screaming "Kakarotto!" And because I saw the second Broli movie around the time canal 5 was aring the episode were Vegeta sacrifices himself. I thought he somehow got frozen after the explosion (don't ask why I thought that. I was eight) and was screaming "Kakarotto!!" for no reason
. :lol:
That last part does crack me up! :lol:

This is not unique since it's too common.
Raise your hand if you always knew Frieza, dodoria,and Zarbon where males.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Waluigiman wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:This is basically what happend to me as kid too. Since I had no internet or the home release, I had to rely on TV arings to watch my Dragon Ball. I would catch some parts of the Cell arc on canal 5, then for one reason or the other I was suddenly watching the Freeza arc, then I would continue with the Boo arc, then with the Saiyan arc, and it continue like this. If I missed the finale of a certain arc, I would have to wait until canal 5 would re-aired the show. Because of this, I saw stuff like the Super Saiyan 3 before watching the Kamehameha struggle between Gohan and Cell. This was essentially how I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z.

I also didn't know that the movies where movies. And that's thanks to the movies having the exact same intros as the series. I just thought they were normal episodes. So the first time I saw Broli I thought he was Vegeta because he kept screaming "Kakarotto!" And because I saw the second Broli movie around the time canal 5 was aring the episode were Vegeta sacrifices himself. I thought he somehow got frozen after the explosion (don't ask why I thought that. I was eight) and was screaming "Kakarotto!!" for no reason
. :lol:
That last part does crack me up! :lol:

This is not unique since it's too common.
Raise your hand if you always knew Frieza, dodoria,and Zarbon where males.
I think the way we grew up watching Dragon Ball varies from person to person, but yeah most kids back in the late 90s/early 2000s problably had a similar experience to me.

I grew up with the Latin American dub. Freeza, Dodoria and Zarbon all sounded like males in that dub. So I guess I'll raise my hand.✋

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Before I was a fan of Dragon Ball and when I was brand new, my confusions where:

- I thought Vegeta dies in GT. One old fan site had a episode summary of Goku defeating Baby and mentioned that Vegeta died along with Baby. I thought Vegeta would be wish back or escape out of Hell in GT.
- I thought Vegeta Jr was Kid Vegeta and Vegeta was wish back into a little kid as well
- I thought Gogeta and Vegito where two sayains that came from Planet Vegeta, and Gogeta would beat Buu.
- I thought Super 17 absorbs #19
- I thought all the Buu's were a different person, like an evil family.
- Pilaf and Garlic Jr are brothers
- General White was Dr.Gero
- I was told that Broli returns back in GT and teams up with Goku against the Shadow Dragons
- I thought Baby was related to Majin Buu
- I thought the Shadow Dragons are the ones who erased the memories of Majin Buu
- I thought DBZ in Japanese was some hardcore ultra violent show similar to Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34
- I remember someone at my school told me that GT would air on HBO because the series is more darker and violent than DBZ. He mention the show having a lot of sex and rape scenes in it
I use to believe all of the same things when I was younger lmao, especially the bolded. I also once thought that:
-Vegeta literally had the power to send people to another dimension
- That Goku and Chichi would get a divorce lol
- That Cooler would be a major villain in GT
- That Goku and Vegeta were secretly related
- That Piccolo would get a Super Namekian transformation
- That Pan and Trunks would get married in GT lol
- That Freeza was a woman lol
- That Broly was the strongest person in all of Dragonball
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:

You didn't imagine it. It's from an obscure OVA.
I liked that ova for some reason

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:03 am

Here is more from me, no more false memories because some of them are when I rediscovered Dragon Ball.
1.Android 8 was evil, this is because I played Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and I didn't knew his personality until I watched the show and unlocked the What If Saga.
2. That Toriyama planned ahead, I gaved him too much credit.
3. That the Pilaf gang frequently fought Goku inside of robots. This was based on said videogame I mentioned earlier.
4. That King Piccolo and his hideous children were always intended to be Nameks, this overlaps with number 2.
5. when I discovered images of Kid Goku and the Shadow Dragons, I felt so confused because he was a kid but every thing else felt like something of Dragon Ball Z. This is when I discovered about GT.
6. Piccolo,Tien, and Yamcha where never Goku's enemies. Justified because I saw them in the Cell Arc and Majing Buu Sagas first.
7. Saiyans had extreme durability. This was caused because the other characters tried to kill Nappa and Raditz but they were hard to kill, I didn't figure it was because the other characters were weak at that time.
8. Dragon Ball Z Kai was the same as the uncensored version.
9. Because I saw Dragon Ball Z Kai, I was confused when I saw Raditz and Goku with bruises in their torsos and for some reason I was not convinced that Raditz died despite the fact I saw Goku die. When I saw Yajirobe aproach to the Kame House, I gasped and I mistooked him for Raditz, then I saw his face and I laughed.
10. I didn't realized Majin Buu was evil until I saw turn people into candy, and that took me too long because I thought of this rule: If you look happy you are not evil. I actually thought Goku and his friends decided to beat him up because he was too happy to the point he was annoying.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 am

ricky84 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:- That Goku and Vegeta were secretly related
Well they are if you go back enough generations. Same is true for any two humans. Although there were far fewer Saiyans than humans so Goku and Vegeta are probably a lot more closely related than me and some random guy in China, for example.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:29 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:- That Goku and Vegeta were secretly related
Well they are if you go back enough generations. Same is true for any two humans. Although there were far fewer Saiyans than humans so Goku and Vegeta are probably a lot more closely related than me and some random guy in China, for example.
Yeah they were just a few thousands, although we do not know the dynamics of when did Saiyans evolve to be how they are now and who was able to escape Sadala’s destruction, and when did that happen.
But yeah, for all we know they might even be cousins.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 am

emperior wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Yeah they were just a few thousands, although we do not know the dynamics of when did Saiyans evolve to be how they are now and who was able to escape Sadala’s destruction, and when did that happen.
I doubt that, since Goku was a 'low-class' Saiyan and Vegeta was royalty. You would probably have to go back at least half a dozen generations to find a common ancestor between them.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

emperior wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Where was it ever stated that they're were only a few thousands out there? I don't recall that in any DB media.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:07 pm

As a kid, I was once in a café and 'The Tree of Might' was being aired on TV. Since the sound was low (if not mute) and I was seeing that for the first time ever, I assumed Tullece was Goku's father. IIRC, this was before I even saw the Bardock special. I probably assumed that because of Raditz' comment or because Tullece looked more mature...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 pm

When Tree of Might first aired, I thought I missed something. It aired during the middle of the Freeza arc and somehow everyone's on Earth. I didn't know about the movies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:02 pm

ricky84 wrote:
emperior wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Where was it ever stated that they're were only a few thousands out there? I don't recall that in any DB media.
It is stated in Dragon Ball Minus. You may have missed it, it's a bonus chapter in the Jaco manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:03 pm

When I was a kid I thought Android 17, Freeza and Dodoria were females.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Let's see. When I first started watching the show regularly, Goku had just turned Super Saiyan, so my early misconceptions stem mostly from around that part.

- Before this, I overheard some classmates talking about the show and they mentioned a "Freeza" whom I assumed was some kind of ice monster.

- When Vegeta popped out of the ground, I had no idea who that was. I thought maybe it was Goku (except the clothes were different), since he had just been blasted into the ground anyway and this character's hair looked similar but black (I assumed Goku's non-Super Saiyan form had spiky, straight hair because my only vivid memory of it at the time was of him running along the Serpent Road where his hair flew behind him, looking like Vegeta's).

- Z episode 102 features a flashback sequence to Piccolo's history with Goku, and that was my introduction to Raditz. My first impression of him was that he must've been some incredibly dangerous super villain. Which he was, in a way, but in the grand scheme of things...

- When Trunks first showed up, I had soooo many questions. Who is this guy? He's a Super Saiyan? Is he Goku himself somehow (Freeza says he has the same eyes)? But he looks so different? Ahhh. At least I had fun getting my mind blown by his backstory and the announcement of villains far more powerful than this Super Saiyan who just blew Freeza (the greatest threat in the universe as far as I knew at the time) away like nothing.

- At some point I saw tiny, low-quality screenshots of the game Hyper Dimension, showing grown-up Gohan - but I thought that was Yamcha.

- Long before I ever saw the Majin Boo arc, I saw a bunch of images of it in a magazine, which always had dark backgrounds. As a result, I assumed the Boo arc took place at night. If only! It created such an interesting, different atmosphere from the previous arcs... (not that the Boo arc isn't "different" anyway)
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 am

DestructoDisc wrote:When I was a kid I thought Android 17, Freeza and Dodoria were females.
Not sure how you could make that mistake with Dodoria, unless you watched the abridged series first...