Could Super Saiyan 4 make a return?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Could Super Saiyan 4 make a return?

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Since Broly isn’t Toriyama’s character but he rebooted him anyway, do you think Super Saiyan 4 is popular enough to warrant a reboot? Would you even want them to? How do you think Toriyama would do it?

[spoiler]I, for one, would love to see Super Saiyan 4 return. It’s always been my favorite Super Saiyan form due to its uniqueness.[/spoiler]
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Could Super Saiyan 4 make a return?

Post by theTUN » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:Since Broly isn’t Toriyama’s character but he rebooted him anyway, do you think Super Saiyan 4 is popular enough to warrant a reboot? Would you even want them to? How do you think Toriyama would do it?

[spoiler]I, for one, would love to see Super Saiyan 4 return. It’s always been my favorite Super Saiyan form due to its uniqueness.[/spoiler]
I doubt it.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:50 pm

I really hope NOT ...but yes the form is definitely popular enough&I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring it back People already start to do petitions :lol:
GT Fighter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:do you think Super Saiyan 4 is popular enough to warrant a reboot?
Yes. Just take a look at merchandising, Super Saiyan 4 makes constant appearances.
Travis Touchdown wrote:Would you even want them to?
No. Enough of Saiyans transformations. There is no need for more Saiyans transformations. Stop with the Saiyans transformations. No more Saiyans transformations. Cut the Saiyans transformations. There is no point in more Saiyans transformations.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 pm

I would only want it back if it was the exact same design as it is in GT. I don't want modern Toriyama redesigning it or even touching the look.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:10 am

The marvelous Super Saiyan 4 Son Goku has been brought back in a way, he's in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. Damn shame it's a promotional anime which is only 8min per episode and the next one is only due out in September, so still a long way till then.

I for one couldn't care less about canon. I enjoy it based on whether I like it or not.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:54 am

Yes, I think that form and even Cooler will both become "canon" once Super returns.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:08 am

I so so hate this mentality that because one character was made canon, now everything else has to be made canon too. The same happened when Goku Black showed up, everyone was contemplating who should become evil next.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 am

mute_proxy wrote:I so so hate this mentality that because one character was made canon, now everything else has to be made canon too.
The Broly film being an actual thing has opened up the doors to many possibilities. Toriyama has admitted that Broly was brought back because of popularity. If SS4 has that much positive reception, nothing can be ruled out.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 am

kudo6000 wrote: The Broly film being an actual thing has opened up the doors to many possibilities. Toriyama has admitted that Broly was brought back because of popularity. If SS4 has that much positive reception, nothing can be ruled out.
Yes, but that doesnt mean they'll be doing the same exercise for the rest of the series. I'm sure they know better than that. They have Heroes for that after all

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:22 am

Fan service has pretty much been a basis for Super's structure. If certain elements in its arcs weren't enough to prove that, then this Broly film certainly did tenfold. Like it or not, that appears to be what nu!DB is striving for these days.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:27 am

No I don't want because it makes no sense in terms of universe consistency to bring it back now lol

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:52 am

I don't want it to return as reboot like Broly because reboots are trash.
If they ever made some kind of crossover or GT movie then yeah, it would be cool.

But i don't want SSJ4 being "brought back" to Super, no matter if it would look different or not.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:31 am

If they make Goku SSJ4 then for the love of God don't make him have blue, red or pink hair. Just leave as is or give him blonde hair instead.

Coola going Golden Coola was cringy and interesting at the same time but a cheap copy of Golden Freeza, no less.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 am

There's every chance it could happen because Toei and Bandai like money.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 am

I could see them convincing Toriyama to use the form, but it may go against what he is trying to do with the God forms in direction to Ultra Instinct. Maybe they could give the form to an Ancient Saiyan foe, or they could do an arc where different dimensions clash and so Goku and Vegeta make an appearance as Super Saiyan 4s.
I wouldn’t have minded it a bit if we got an evil Goku who is just Goku who never hurt his head, wears Saiyan armor and has discovered SS4, but after Goku Black I doubt they will want to do yet another Goku clone as the enemy. And frankly, it’s probably for the better. At the moment, I believe Toriyama will never use the form in his stories, but considering how he even used Broly we can’t know if he will ever be convinced to use 4.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 am

emperior wrote:I could see them convincing Toriyama to use the form, but it may go against what he is trying to do with the God forms in direction to Ultra Instinct. Maybe they could give the form to an Ancient Saiyan foe, or they could do an arc where different dimensions clash and so Goku and Vegeta make an appearance as Super Saiyan 4s.
I wouldn’t have minded it a bit if we got an evil Goku who is just Goku who never hurt his head, wears Saiyan armor and has discovered SS4, but after Goku Black I doubt they will want to do yet another Goku clone as the enemy. And frankly, it’s probably for the better. At the moment, I believe Toriyama will never use the form in his stories, but considering how he even used Broly we can’t know if he will ever be convinced to use 4.
That kinda sounds like Tullece.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:I don't want it to return as reboot like Broly because reboots are trash.
If they ever made some kind of crossover or GT movie then yeah, it would be cool.

But i don't want SSJ4 being "brought back" to Super, no matter if it would look different or not.
Well it would never be "brought back" to Super since it was never there to begin with lol
I'm 100% against MCU style in DB that would ruin everything I don't want to say my favorite franchise became trash lol
Lord Beerus wrote:There's every chance it could happen because Toei and Bandai like money.
But there is DB Heroes anime for this lol

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:There's every chance it could happen because Toei and Bandai like money.
But there is DB Heroes anime for this lol
Pretty much this just released this week Japan. SS4 sells okay but compared to SSGSS and now UI I don't think Bandai Namco will really be pushing for SS4 to be in the main series, Bandai have already shown no shame in using DBS brand to sell SS4 stuff so it wouldn't really make a difference. The same way in which despite Kale Bandai still continued their Broly boner (releasing him in U.S arc sets because logic) and even now despite NuBroly Bandai still insist on merchandising the old one, with this figure coming out in Jan... One month after the new movie...

Ultimately Bandai don't give a shit about what's happening in the main series all they care about it DBS is a success and they can slap the logo everywhere.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I would say it depends on if Toei wants to do anything with GT in general outside of letting Bandai Namco use it in video games since Super Saiyan 4 is so entwined with it.