Chapter Title Pages in Viz' Version of the Manga Confusion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EZsensei

Chapter Title Pages in Viz' Version of the Manga Confusion

Post by EZsensei » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:57 am

Hi, I've recently started collecting all 42 tankoubon/singles' version of the manga.

I realized that the handling of the title pages is quite inconsistent. For example,in the first volume the chapter title pages are all included in the back as a bonus, in contrast to the second one where they're left right before each chapter (since the toriyama question corner is in the back or something?). Viz don't seem to always present the title pages in order and I'm not even sure if they include them all...

My question is are all the title pages included in Viz's tankoubon? If not, is there any sort of list or guide to which ones are missing in the site? If yes, do some chapters not have a dedicated title page- how does it work exactly...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

sintzu
Banned

Re: Chapter Title Pages in Viz' Version of the Manga Confusion

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:27 pm

I don't think they're even included in the Japanese version so chances are they're not.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm

If you're interested in seeing all of the title pages and learning more about them, seeing which chapters have a title page and which don't, etc, I recommend thumbing through Kanzenshuu's tankobon guide to start out with. Obviously Viz's graphic novels are based on the tankobon and although I've never done an in-depth comparison between them, based on all that I've seen they are structured very similarly with most of the title pages being moved to the back of the volume.

When you click on each volume in the tankobon guide you can read under the Volume Contents section whether or not any of the title pages have been altered. For example in Volume 01 it says "Fortunately, this volume does not omit any of the original chapter title pages." Volume 02 notes that "Unfortunately this volume omits eight of the original chapter title pages".

Next you'll want to click on each chapter and look at the title page that was used across the different releases of the manga, because they're not all the same believe it or not. For example, the title page belonging to chapter 045 was re-purposed in the tankobon release and given to chapter 044 because chapter 044's original title page was used as the cover art for volume 04. It might seem a little confusing and all over the place at first, but on each page is a Chapter Notes section that breaks down anything noteworthy in each chapter, title pages included.

Hope that helped. TL;DR - Most/all of the title pages in the tankobon should be in the English graphic novels since that's what they're based on. But if you want to see all the title pages and investigate yourself, check out Kanzenshuu's guides.

EZsensei

Post by EZsensei » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Tyro wrote:If you're interested in seeing all of the title pages and learning more about them, seeing which chapters have a title page and which don't, etc, I recommend thumbing through Kanzenshuu's tankobon guide to start out with. Obviously Viz's graphic novels are based on the tankobon and although I've never done an in-depth comparison between them, based on all that I've seen they are structured very similarly with most of the title pages being moved to the back of the volume.

When you click on each volume in the tankobon guide you can read under the Volume Contents section whether or not any of the title pages have been altered. For example in Volume 01 it says "Fortunately, this volume does not omit any of the original chapter title pages." Volume 02 notes that "Unfortunately this volume omits eight of the original chapter title pages".

Next you'll want to click on each chapter and look at the title page that was used across the different releases of the manga, because they're not all the same believe it or not. For example, the title page belonging to chapter 045 was re-purposed in the tankobon release and given to chapter 044 because chapter 044's original title page was used as the cover art for volume 04. It might seem a little confusing and all over the place at first, but on each page is a Chapter Notes section that breaks down anything noteworthy in each chapter, title pages included.

Hope that helped. TL;DR - Most/all of the title pages in the tankobon should be in the English graphic novels since that's what they're based on. But if you want to see all the title pages and investigate yourself, check out Kanzenshuu's guides.
Great! I'll check it out. Huh, I didn't know some title pages weren't included in the original tankobon. I understand the Kanzenban version had all of the title pages. Out of curiosity, do you know if the Kanzenban had the chapters all in the back or alongside the chapters or was it an inconsistent thing? it's fine if you don't know.
Thanks you this was really helpful!!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 pm

EZsensei wrote:Great! I'll check it out. Huh, I didn't know some title pages weren't included in the original tankobon. I understand the Kanzenban version had all of the title pages. Out of curiosity, do you know if the Kanzenban had the chapters all in the back or alongside the chapters or was it an inconsistent thing? it's fine if you don't know.
Thanks you this was really helpful!!
You're very welcome! Well the kanzenban had most of the title pages but no release (at least that I'm aware of) has them all, unfortunately. Outside of the recent Digest Edition of the manga, which is Japanese-only, no version of the manga ever included the real title page for chapter 012 for example. You can read more about that on the linked page. There's also the title pages that have been moved to other chapters to consider, such as chapter 019. But to answer your question, I believe the kanzenban also moved most of the title pages to the back of the volume (and also moved the Trunks the Story ("History of Trunks") extra chapter to the very end of the manga, after the Boo arc and everything). I guess that's pretty standard for manga to do? Something to do with not interrupting the flow, maybe? But to obsessive, nitpicky fans such as myself, I like to see everything.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 pm

While it isn't entirely relevant, I would like to drop in that, excepting instances of using title page art for the covers, the contents or some "divider" pages, the ViZ Full Colour releases don't feature the title pages anywhere.