Gichamu's role being given to Kikono

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Gichamu's role being given to Kikono

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:32 pm

I was disappointed that Toriyama gave Kikono Gichamu's achievement of adapting the Scouters from the Tsufurians; Was it that hard to draw another character or find another chance of introducing Gichamu (like in a future Frieza's flashback or some tidbit for a supplamentary)?

It's not like the ENTIRE tech and fleet of the Frieza Army - that was going around for years as Cold's manners and laid back nature show IMHO that he wasn't the starter of this empire - were created by this one individual (Kikono) while there are stacks of scientists working there. Just lazy writing and lack of imagination to build a proper lore about this empire/force.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Gichamu's role being given to Kikono

Post by Green_Goblin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:17 pm

he is a brilliant scientist who invented scouters, the Frieza Force spaceships and Battle Armor.
Source: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1027921504632156162

Don't tell me this doesn't disappoints you after 29 years the Scouters had been around? not even brings you down by a bit? It's an ULTIMATE DISAPPOINTMENT to close the background for all the tech of Frieza's Empire by this one random advisor from Dragon Ball Minus.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:42 pm

I can clearly understand your points. Sometimes it is better to bring back a character rather than creating a new one, whose role is actually already filled by an old character.

That wouldn't be translated as lazy writing, but instead as a smart move to re-introduce specific characters that had their backstory and purpose already established. Nonetheless, Kikono is a character that stood up to his role with his personality, so I am not 100% against such a decision. It was a smart move actually. Of course things could be different though.
P O W E R

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:07 am

Green_Goblin wrote: Don't tell me this doesn't disappoints you after 29 years the Scouters had been around?
I don’t even remember this character, so I don’t feel any disappointment. But it doesn’t surprise me Toriyama changed his mind. Just a normal day in this franchise.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:33 am

Hugo Boss wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: Don't tell me this doesn't disappoints you after 29 years the Scouters had been around?
I don’t even remember this character, so I don’t feel any disappointment. But it doesn’t surprise me Toriyama changed his mind. Just a normal day in this franchise.
Yeah but to give the credit for ALL the current Frieza and former Cold Force's technology (that allegedly had been around for more than a century) when we saw that there are other scientists on that empire is a little bit too much to ignore and look away from.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:
Yeah but to give the credit for ALL the current Frieza and former Cold Force's technology (that allegedly had been around for more than a century) when we saw that there are other scientists on that empire is a little bit too much to ignore and look away from.
I’m not sure what you mean. What was the importance of this Gichamu you talk about?

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote: I don’t even remember this character, so I don’t feel any disappointment. But it doesn’t surprise me Toriyama changed his mind. Just a normal day in this franchise.
I’m not sure what you mean. What was the importance of this Gichamu you talk about?
In 2014 Toriyama had no problems with other technicians and scientists on the Frieza Force, Gichamu was just the guy who developped the scouters which were obtained from the Tuffles/Tsufurujin. Dragon Ball Minus was released and Kikono was just a Frieza adviser who spoke to him about the Super Saiyan God legend before Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta to tie this event to the new lore from Battle of Gods (which was released a year prior).

In February 2017, when "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" was penned down, Kikono was suddenly turned into the ONLY MIND within Frieza's family's empire. Nobody but him is able of making stuff (no Tuffles in sight, the scouters are all his idea), and all their clothings, tech and gizmos are his creations.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: Yeah but to give the credit for ALL the current Frieza and former Cold Force's technology (that allegedly had been around for more than a century) when we saw that there are other scientists on that empire is a little bit too much to ignore and look away from.
In 2014 Toriyama had no problems with other technicians and scientists on the Frieza Force, Gichamu was just the guy who developped the scouters which were obtained from the Tuffles/Tsufurujin. Dragon Ball Minus was released and Kikono was just a Frieza adviser who spoke to him about the Super Saiyan God legend before Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta to tie this event to the new lore from Battle of Gods (which was released a year prior).

In February 2017, when "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" was penned down, Kikono was suddenly turned into the ONLY MIND within Frieza's family's empire. Nobody but him is able of making stuff (no Tuffles in sight, the scouters are all his idea), and all their clothings, tech and gizmos are his creations.
If anything, that makes this Kikono character a little more relevant in the story. Though, I can understand being upset about the scouters not coming from the Tsufurians. That makes me question if Toriyama even remember them.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote: I’m not sure what you mean. What was the importance of this Gichamu you talk about?

If anything, that makes this Kikono character a little more relevant in the story. Though, I can understand being upset about the scouters not coming from the Tsufurians. That makes me question if Toriyama even remember them.
I can only hope that this time around Toriyama didn't forgot about the Tsufurujin and is saving them for later, as they should've ceased to exist when Vegeta I was the Saiyans' leader, if they're opting to give a modern/canonized version of the previous plot scheme where King Vegeta III was the one who led to the genocide of the Tsufurujins and to the Baby Saga. They'll now probably be the creators of the Scout Scopes that the Saiyans and Cold Force had used instead of the scouters (which now are officially Kikono's), in this reincarnation.

Back to the topic: Even if all the listed above will happen, It still doesn't make me accept Kikono's creating any tech that the Frieza Clan's empire ever used.