How big of a release do you think the upcoming Super movie will have?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

How big of a release do you think the upcoming Super movie will have?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Dragon Ball is a franchise that has proven itself time and time again to have latest power equivalent to a Super Saiyan:
  • Just when Japanese fans thought the franchise was done for after how poorly GT did, the west fell in love with the anime series and against all odss it's popularity in the states was enough to rekindle interest in the franchise as a whole.

Dragonball Evolution was made specifically to cash-in on the Dragon Ball name. Sure it was a box pffice disappointment but I think that had more to do with it simply being a bad movie that appealed to nobody.

Kai while not very successful in Japan was extremely so internationally and brought in a whole new generation of fans. It's international success was also enough to allow Kai continue onto the Majin Boo Saga.

Battle of Gods was a huge comeback for the series. It along with Resurrection F showed Dragon Ball is still relevant and they did exceptionally well in theatres despite their limit showings (outside Japan).

The latest game Dragon Ball: FighterZ is currently the #1 fighting game on the market simply based on the fact that it's a 'competitive' Dragon Ball fighting game.

Now with the upcoming movie, Sony Pictures currently owns FUNimation and Disney recently bought out Fox so it's perfectly reasonable to expect this movie to be a big deal.

Note:Disney is actually interesting in acquiring the movie rights of Dragon Ball from Fox.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How big of a release do you think the upcoming Super movie will have?

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:28 pm

This movie is gonna do really well at the box office.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:35 pm

The movie looks amazing going by the trailer and hope to God that Sumitomo puts actual real effort into composing high quality BGMs so we'll get a pristine product. I'd love to watch it in the theater so I'll see once it starts rolling out.

I'm guessing the English dub will be everywhere while Japanese screenings to be fairly limited.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:36 am

I have no idea. Some countries are already getting it on January but there’s no news for European releases apart from a possible screening in France on December, but I think they deleted the old tweet announcement of it for some reason.

My hope is for it to release at least by the end of January in Europe, and most importantly in Italy which is where I live, although I would love to have some limited subbed screenings. I would be incredibly happy if it got a December release, and I am still crossing my fingers for it. We got dubbed Super before the US so maybe we could also get the movie before them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 pm

It is not going to be a major release being played in over 3,000 theaters like most major movies do. It will probably do just as much as RoF in the US, if not better.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm

That article doesn't even cite where the information came from? Is there actually any proof that this is the case?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Resurrection 'F' was shown in a little over 900 theatres across the US for 14 days. Though that's not entirely true, since there were several days where the movie was only being shown in way less theatres (we're talking from as low as 66 theatres). Even still, it did really well for an anime film in a limited release, managing to crack into the 9th spot for the top 10 highest grossing anime films in the US. All the other films above it were movies with wider and/or lengthier releases and were distributed by the likes of Fox, Disney and Warner Bros.

Now, going in this new movie, we've got a lot of things to consider. First, is that it's a continuation of Super. Super's been hugely popular. Back when 'F' came out, it was mostly just us typical Dragon Ball fans who grew up with the show going to see the movie. But now that Super's a thing and has been a thing since mid 2015, the number of fans has probably grown by a lot. You've also got something like FighterZ, one of the biggest fighting games in recent memory, which has surely gotten even more people into the series due to the game's popularity.

Then you've got the promo for the movie itself. Before, the only promo that BoG and 'F' got were social media posts, some tv spots on Toonami, some Anime Expo stuff and the trailers being posted on IGN's YouTube channel. Now? Bandai and Toei are helping out with the promotion and have created the DB Tour. There was a panel dedicated to the film at Comic Con in hall H! A hall that's usually dedicated to huge Hollywood properties. The English dub trailer is nearing 10 million views on IGN's YouTube channel. I was honestly surprised that they managed to make an English dub trailer at the same time as the original Japanese. Just goes to show how much Toei want this to be a success in the US.

Having the film release in January, only a month after it comes out in Japan, is huge. The only other anime film I can think of that managed to pull that off is the My Hero Academia: Two Heroes film. Not only does it greatly reduce piracy, but the promotion for the Japanese side of things works hand-in-hand with the English version. Back when 'F' was releasing, the dub got its own trailer with its own promotion. But with this new movie, it's getting the same trailers because of how smoothly and quickly the localisation is going.

Taking all of this into consideration, FUNi want to go in big with this film, and so do Toei. I'm imagining a 3 week run, with the film playing in over 1,000 theatres. It's still limited, but I feel they'll make the most out of it. As for gross? I'm predicating between 10m-15m.

As for how it'll perform here in Australia? It'll probably be similar to 'F's run. An initial 2 week run in theatres, but if the film does better than expected it'll get extended. We'll most likely get it in January as well. I just don't know how Madman will promote the film here. 'F' only got exposure through social media and some trailers in theatres.

So, yeah. It won't be as big of a release as a typical Hollywood film, but it'll be bigger than 'F' thanks to the seemingly better promotion this time around, the current popularity of Dragon Ball and the release being so soon.

Also... it's Broly. It's gonna bring in the money.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:53 am

Hopefully a wide release! Go big or go home. Whether it's coming from fans or the companies involved, I'm kind of over the general lack of confidence surrounding matters like this. Dragon Ball is easily the most culturally relevant anime franchise in America by far, there's no way this film wouldn't benefit from being screened in as many theaters as possible. If anything, subtitled screenings could be more limited in scope.

I remember reading comments on this forum over a decade ago about DBZ being 'niche' and just rolling my eyes, there's certainly no way those same people still feel that way now.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Keroro1125

Post by Keroro1125 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Hoping the movie gets IMAX showings outside of Japan. Seeing Dragon Ball on the biggest freaking screen available would be absolutely insane. I guess I'll have to ask the Galaxy Theater by my work and see if they know anything.