Should Henrique Feist be banned from dubbing Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Should Henrique Feist be banned from dubbing Dragon Ball?

Post by Mewzard » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Bullza wrote:Why would Jap be offsensive? It's a short version of Japanese.

British people get called Brits the same way.
...Because it was used as a racial slur for a large portion of World War II?

On the subject of said voice actor, I don't think the guy should be fired exactly...but he should at least try to show more respect to his seniors in the voicing Dragon Ball field.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:14 pm

In US the term 'Jap' is considered racist but the rest of the world it's seen the same way as saying Japanese. However, Feist could have used 'Japs' in a negative connotation.

Then again, if so then he'd have used something like 'Japocas'.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Well looks like he calmed down and deleted that comment, not that that excuses it, however people are sending him aggressive private messages and that is not how you should prove a point, that only hurts your side.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:36 am

Bullza wrote:
sangofe wrote:Errors like what?
Well just what he mentioned. The link flaps and the mouth moving without them talking.

Not that I pay attention to that anyway but if it's an error then it's an error like he said.
It's not an error. It's how anime is produced. The animation is done first, then the voice acting. It's why Akira was such a big deal way back when, it animated the mouths to fit the recordings.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Brodes wrote:
Bullza wrote:
sangofe wrote:Errors like what?
Well just what he mentioned. The link flaps and the mouth moving without them talking.

Not that I pay attention to that anyway but if it's an error then it's an error like he said.
It's not an error. It's how anime is produced. The animation is done first, then the voice acting.
You, you're right about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdwxNSRQciY But, the same applies for other dubs, lol.

In addition, they don't really put emphasis on gettin the lip syncs completely correct.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm

It seems another portuguese TV channel, called Panda Biggs, will broadcast Dragon Ball Super and redub it, but without Feist, and his husband Ricardo Spínola, who voices several characters too. Till now these are just rumors, but soon we will know more about it.

Well, thankfully the brazilian dub doesn't have this kind of trouble now.

Shad73
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shad73 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:53 am

Lol, I feel like using his name in a pun. Probably listens to Feist. It’s not a bad thing, but take that indie shit somewhere else! XE
Seeing the world as neutral is a gift; then you see the most beauty.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:07 am

SaintEvolution wrote:It seems another portuguese TV channel, called Panda Biggs, will broadcast Dragon Ball Super and redub it, but without Feist, and his husband Ricardo Spínola, who voices several characters too. Till now these are just rumors, but soon we will know more about it.

Well, thankfully the brazilian dub doesn't have this kind of trouble now.
This sounds like a very strange thing to do if you think about the costs of it, unless they got rights to distribute and sell dvds and blu-rays of it.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:So, Mr. Henrique Feist is one of the most beloved and prestigious VAs of the Portuguese dub team but he crossed a bridge no one ever should. Feist went all out and completely disrespected the original Japanese version of Dragon Ball, in his mind, he thinks that the Japanese version is just one of the many dubs when in actuality it's the original version. Dragon Ball is a Japanese-made franchise. In a tl;dr version: Feist got all pissy like a fanboy would because he read people have been criticizing the dub and since he wasn't happy with that, he decided to shit on the Japanese version — The one thing he shouldn't have. I honestly think TOEI should take action against Henrique Feist and even sue him for that defamatory comment.

Henrique Feist's original statement:

Translated it myself:
Folks, while I'm the dubber of the Dragon Ball series there's something I can't hold in anymore - I'm sick and tired of reading that the Japanese version is the best!!! I respect all opinions, but only if they actually are genuine and credible. Or instead, ya'll are watching a show that I don't know or that you know nothing of, or barely anything. Do you lot have any idea how much time we've spent dubbing because of the SHIT of the Japanese version? Have you realized how badly dubbed it is? Have you realized that many times the sentences don't even sync with the characters' mouths? Or even vice-versa? Have you realized that there are plenty of times the script is tiny and the toy still continues to open and close his mouth without anything to say? But, oh well.

If you understood and then still say that it's the best... Stay with the Japs as you wish while I'll stick to my Portuguese dubbing buddies whom have some value in their work.
Man, did he fuck up. There's no going back from this.
Being the original version of something doesn't make it un-Criticizable. He could of worded it nicer to be more professional but the mouth flaps not matching is an accurate criticism, being the original version or the typical anime way doesn't change that.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 pm

dario03 wrote:Being the original version of something doesn't make it un-Criticizable. He could of worded it nicer to be more professional but the mouth flaps not matching is an accurate criticism, being the original version or the typical anime way doesn't change that.
While that is true, Feist went less about criticizing honest mistakes in the japanese and rather he, more or less, tried to excuse mistakes in the portuguese dub. Before the Facebook thread got nuked, he also insinuated that fans should feel a slight sense of shame for watching Goku be dubbed by a woman. That's not something that you can just shrug off and he did take a big hit when it came to his reputation. It's a shame, really, I appreciated his voice-work a lot.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:42 pm

It seems now that he already has lost his roles for Broly movie and the rest of Super.

Goku now will be voiced in Portugal by another actor called Miguel Raposo.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:It seems now that he already has lost his roles for Broly movie and the rest of Super.

Indeed, but he wasn't banned. He was contacted to return to the role for Broly and the remaining episodes of Super but left due to not agreeing with the payment.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:It seems now that he already has lost his roles for Broly movie and the rest of Super.

Indeed, but he wasn't banned. He was contacted to return to the role for Broly and the remaining episodes of Super but left due to not agreeing with the payment.
How much in numbers was his payment for voicing his roles before and how much they offered him to return now?

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:05 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:

How much in numbers was his payment for voicing his roles before and how much they offered him to return now?
No idea. All I know was that his payment was big enough to throw off the budget for the dub ending up affecting the overall quality, after seeing the result the studio offered him the payment that every voice actor gets here (25 to 30 euros per episode, yes it's very low) and he said no.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
No idea. All I know was that his payment was big enough to throw off the budget for the dub ending up affecting the overall quality, after seeing the result the studio offered him the payment that every voice actor gets here (25 to 30 euros per episode, yes it's very low) and he said no.
I think it's a low number depending of the episode, according to the number of loops the character has.

Here in Brazil, voice actors are usually paid according with the quantity of loops their characters usually have, and not according with the number of episodes.