Should Henrique Feist be banned from dubbing Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Should Henrique Feist be banned from dubbing Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:37 pm

So, Mr. Henrique Feist is one of the most beloved and prestigious VAs of the Portuguese dub team but he crossed a bridge no one ever should. Feist went all out and completely disrespected the original Japanese version of Dragon Ball, in his mind, he thinks that the Japanese version is just one of the many dubs when in actuality it's the original version. Dragon Ball is a Japanese-made franchise. In a tl;dr version: Feist got all pissy like a fanboy would because he read people have been criticizing the dub and since he wasn't happy with that, he decided to shit on the Japanese version — The one thing he shouldn't have. I honestly think TOEI should take action against Henrique Feist and even sue him for that defamatory comment.

Henrique Feist's original statement:

Translated it myself:
Folks, while I'm the dubber of the Dragon Ball series there's something I can't hold in anymore - I'm sick and tired of reading that the Japanese version is the best!!! I respect all opinions, but only if they actually are genuine and credible. Or instead, ya'll are watching a show that I don't know or that you know nothing of, or barely anything. Do you lot have any idea how much time we've spent dubbing because of the SHIT of the Japanese version? Have you realized how badly dubbed it is? Have you realized that many times the sentences don't even sync with the characters' mouths? Or even vice-versa? Have you realized that there are plenty of times the script is tiny and the toy still continues to open and close his mouth without anything to say? But, oh well.

If you understood and then still say that it's the best... Stay with the Japs as you wish while I'll stick to my Portuguese dubbing buddies whom have some value in their work.
Man, did he fuck up. There's no going back from this.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should Henrique Feist be banned from dubbing Dragon Ball?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 pm

I dunno. Sean Schemmel hasnt been banned yet...LOL

To be fair, Sean does respect Nozawa.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 pm

If he does his job well then no.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm

I doubt that he'll get banned just because he said that.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:33 am

most of that isn't awful but the use of "j*ps" is a pretty big yikes. can't imagine he'd get banned for it, but yea oof.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:35 am

It's a highly disappointing opinion to hear him have, but it isn't worth banning him from voicing the character.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 am

Well if the Japanese dub has errors like he says then it's fair.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:20 am

If the Japanese version is so bad why is he even working on it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:34 am

Bullza wrote:Well if the Japanese dub has errors like he says then it's fair.
Errors like what? Also, what he says about the lip flaps is true - but saying it's all shit because of not matching lip flaps is very one sided. Besides, I'd take something not completely in sync with lip flaps with good acting over bad acting and unfitting voices anyday.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 am

sangofe wrote:Errors like what?
Well just what he mentioned. The link flaps and the mouth moving without them talking.

Not that I pay attention to that anyway but if it's an error then it's an error like he said.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:40 am

No but he criticized the Japanese version so lynch him I guess.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:11 am

This is pretty rich coming from this awful dub, he even complements his colleagues for their worth when they butchered Dragon Ball and from the little I saw of their dub from Super still keep doing so.
The hypocrisy is laughable.

Should he be banned? No, Toei has no business doing that. He could be fired(he really won't), his tone is crude and he's being disrespectful; the perfect example of lack of professionalism.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 am

Thats one of reasons i try not follow FB/Twitter, i've already put many people on black list and stopped supporting product they work at, to such hotheads that don't like something, listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 am

Just one thing, that translation is way to literal in some parts.
Better version:
Folks, while I'm the dubber of the Dragon Ball series there's something I can't hold in anymore - I'm sick and tired of reading that the Japanese version is the best!!! I respect all opinions, but only if they actually are genuine and credible. Or instead, ya'll are watching a show that I don't know or that you know nothing of, or barely anything. Do you lot have any idea how much time we've spent dubbing because of the FUCKING Japanese version? Have you realized how badly dubbed it is? Have you realized that many times the sentences don't even sync with the characters' mouths? Or even vice-versa? Have you realized that there are plenty of times the script is tiny and the mouth still continues to open and close his mouth without anything to say? But, oh well.

If you understood and then still say that it's the best... Stay with the Japs as you wish while I'll stick to my Portuguese dubbing buddies whom have some value in their work.
He didn't say the Japanese version was shit.

Should he be banned? NO! That's ridiculous, his criticism of the lines not syncing is a fact with all anime, it comes at a cost of th seyuus doing the voice acting on top of the animation instead of the reverse like it's done in the west. Was he too aggressive hell yeah. Is this missing too much context HELL YEAH!!! This comes after a string of technical problems this dub had in the last couple of episodes that aired and instead of blaming the studio like they should, there are way better studios in Portugal that would've treated DB that way it deserves to be treated, people started blaming the actors that were just doing what their payed for. He reached a breaking point and was too aggressive to the wrong target. Should he be banned? No.
Last edited by Gafonso6 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:12 am

No he shouldn't be banned.
Bullza wrote:
sangofe wrote:Errors like what?
Well just what he mentioned. The lip flaps and the mouth moving without them talking.

Not that I pay attention to that anyway but if it's an error then it's an error like he said.
If I recall correctly this isn't exclusive to Dragon Ball. All anime suffers from out of sync lip flaps. That's just the way it is in Japan.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 am

He has a right to his own opinion, so obviously he shouldn't be banned; besides, tecnnically, he's just voicing his grievances with the technical side of the dub, he's not insulting anyone specifically. But this kind of emotional outburst definitely doesn't help his argument. I expect an apology soon, but considering how much self-awareness the Portuguese dub in general lacks, I wouldn't be surprised if it never comes.
Soppa Saia People wrote:most of that isn't awful but the use of "j*ps" is a pretty big yikes. can't imagine he'd get banned for it, but yea oof.
"Jap" isn't an offensive term over here.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:16 am

if he watch dragon ball,z,gt dvd it's pretty logical he can criticized the sync, even if i think it's not possible to get 100% match lips when you dub something, japanese audios are out of sync in all release worldwide so....his argument worth 0 , he can blame Toei for not even have checked all dragon box
japanese dub worldwide is the best cause it's the original one, dubbing will result mostly in text alteration so it will result often some kind of loss...anyway japanse voice actors have a way of dubbing i've never seen in any other dub ...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, at least Schemmel has a respect for Nozawa.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 pm

To give some context to this, his comment was a reply to someone else. And while I don't agree with what he says nor with the tone of his comment, he shouldn't be banned from the portuguese dub.
Soppa Saia People wrote:most of that isn't awful but the use of "j*ps" is a pretty big yikes. can't imagine he'd get banned for it, but yea oof.
Here it's just an abbreviation of 'japanese'. It doesn't have any other connotation.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Why would Jap be offsensive? It's a short version of Japanese.

British people get called Brits the same way.