Times characters forgot about their powers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Times characters forgot about their powers

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:29 am

This is a thread for pointing out instances where characters encountered unnecessary difficulties because they forgot abilities they had. I'll start: at the start of the Buu arc, Kaioshin paralyzes SS2 Gohan and lets Spopovich and Yamu steal his energy. He claimed that he did this because he needed to know where Babidi was (apparently the ki of him and his minions couldn't be sensed). Kaioshin could have easily avoided this just by reading their minds as he did moments before with Piccolo.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Times characters forgot about their powers

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:03 am

The entire first arc of GT is like this. Lots of situation where Goku could have just gotten out of the situation if he used his Super Saiyan transformations or just flew.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:07 am

Movie 11, Trunks and Goten are fighting over who gets to stand on the other's shoulders to look in a window, forgetting the fact that both of them can fly.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 am

1. Goku forgetting he could turn SSJ2 or even SSJ3 in GT's 1st Arc

Dude would've cleared almost 90% of foes with those powers

2. Ultimate Gohan forgetting he could use mfkin Kamehameha to stop Super Boo not once but TWICE b4 self-destructing & absorbing Gotenks & Piccolo

3. Perfect Cell forgetting 99% of his tricks to be used @ SSJ2 Gohan

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 am

Piccolo stretching arms, except 23rd Budokai and Movies, he never used that ability.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:24 pm

First episode of gt Goku carries uub through the lookout and dende tells popo to get the first aid kit instead of healing him or giving a bean. I was pissed and done with gt 5 minutes into the first episode...

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:03 am

Ssjcell wrote:First episode of gt Goku carries uub through the lookout and dende tells popo to get the first aid kit instead of healing him or giving a bean. I was pissed and done with gt 5 minutes into the first episode...
Dub mistake lol

GT Fighter

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:10 am

Vijay wrote:1. Goku forgetting he could turn SSJ2 or even SSJ3 in GT's 1st Arc

Goku turned SSJ2 against Rilldo
GT Fighter

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:30 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:

Goku turned SSJ2 against Rilldo
For 5 seconds

Just to escape pounded by Metal Rildo's incoming metal slab hit by using SSJ2's raw power neutralizing Rildo's attack

Had Goku went SSJ2 & fought for more than 5 seconds, he'd have cleared more than half of GT's Black Star DB baddies (Lood, Mutchi Motchi, Rildo, etc)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 am

I wouldn't say the characters forgot but they were written as to not use their powers. Goku in Dragon Ball GT didn't use it sometimes because the series at first seemed like a remake of Dragon Ball in Space with limited fighting capabilities, even SSJ4 Goku had probs with a building.

I don't really mind these minor issues with GT since it's a show I love, yet, the majority of members here hate it. :lol:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:49 am

Majin Buu forgot he can turn people into chocolate.
The same goes for Super Uub. He used it once on Baby but never tried to use it on Super 17 or Syn Shenron.

Probably because this movie is unfair or it's just that those characters are just way too strong for this technique to work.
I mean it didn't work on Vegito either and the gap between Buu and Vegito is actually smaller than gap between Uub and Super 17/Syn Shenron.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:First episode of gt Goku carries uub through the lookout and dende tells popo to get the first aid kit instead of healing him or giving a bean. I was pissed and done with gt 5 minutes into the first episode...
Dub mistake lol

That's not any better. Dende still has healing powers.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Kuririn blinds Freeza long enough to run away but forgets he has a technique that would neatly cut him clean in half.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
Dub mistake lol

That's not any better. Dende still has healing powers.
This always bothered me and it set the tone for gt...

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I wouldn't say the characters forgot but they were written as to not use their powers. Goku in Dragon Ball GT didn't use it sometimes because the series at first seemed like a remake of Dragon Ball in Space with limited fighting capabilities, even SSJ4 Goku had probs with a building.
Yes this is exactly how I see the first arc
GT Fighter

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:04 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I wouldn't say the characters forgot but they were written as to not use their powers. Goku in Dragon Ball GT didn't use it sometimes because the series at first seemed like a remake of Dragon Ball in Space with limited fighting capabilities, even SSJ4 Goku had probs with a building.
Yes this is exactly how I see the first arc
Given the rather lax nature of that first arc until Baby showed up, it makes sense to me that Goku just didn't see the need to power up, and probably limited his use of them to give himself a better fight.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am

Goku's mind-reading and Piccolo's telepathy seem to appear in accordance to the needs of the plot. Tenshinhan's Kikoho would probably have been useful against 17 and 18, but I can forgive that one. Insert any of TFS' Kienzan jokes here, as well.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

Kame-sennin forgot he could single-handedly beat Raditz.

Talk about a screw-up!

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am

Dude would've cleared almost 90% of foes with those powers
True, but Goku's child body couldn't handle SSJ3 for more than a few minutes (not sure about SSJ2 though).

I mean the main reason Toei chose to make Goku a child in GT was because they felt he was far too powerful

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:57 am

My main one is the fact that Kuririn (or any character for that matter) didn't use the Kienzan more often (especially during the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas) because the Kienzan can basically cut through anything (with the only villains not being effected by it being Buu and Cell because of their regeneration abilities).

Also how they forgot that you can split Senzu Beans in half and they basically have the same effect as eating a whole one (the only time I remember this happening is when Gohan and Kuririn doing so in the Saiyan Saga around the time Goku showed up). I mean it would have been really handy since they seem to lack Senzu Beans a lot of the time.