Does the Garlic Jr. arc still get lots of hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Does the Garlic Jr. arc still get lots of hate?

Post by coola » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:23 am

Personally, i never hated that saga, Gohan, Kuririn and Piccolo dynamics are one of my favorite parts in the series, so it was nice to see them interact like that for final time, only bad things about it were uninteresting henchmen and lack of Akira Kamiya as Garlic Jr. (Nothing against Shigeru Chiba, but Kamiya Garlic Jr. was perfect).

But today, after Super, and especially after these god awful retellings of BoG and F movies, does this saga still get as much hate as it did?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Is Garlic Jr. Saga still get lots of hate?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am

Haven't watched Garlic Jr Saga in years. I will say sure, as filler arcs go I've seen better, Toei really could have come up with something that made more sense and used a villain that wasn't immortal so he wouldn't be stupid to open the only dimension that could kill him...again...

But with Goku out of commission, and Vegeta out of commission, this was the only arc before the Zamasu Arc that wasn't about them, and they weren't around to give the villain the final attack that beats them. And it would have been nice to see all the other non saiyan fighters, being an ally to help, it would have been nice to see Krillin useful instead of getting his ass kicked waiting for Piccolo and Gohan to kill the minions, and it would have been nice if a different main villain was used because how stupid are you Garlic Jr? You stupid mf why would you use the dead zone, again! But, I still like it, and Super showed me things can always be worst...

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:52 am

The main problem with the Garlick saga is that it is the continuation of a movie that didn't fit continuity to begin with.
The first time I watched it I didn't know about the movie and it was frigging confusing.

By itself, it wasn't very good but it was nice to have a menace defeated without Goku & Vegeta. Heck, that's the reason I like Movie 11.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

It always seemed a bit harsh to me that the Garlic Jr. Saga got so much hate. It's a serviceable filler between Namek and Trunks arriving. I have always quite enjoyed it as I liked the interactions with Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin. I always liked Kami's role in this section of the anime as well.

If nothing else, it lays the foundation for Gohan fulfilling his potential as he basically wastes all five of them on his own. Definitely one that I enjoy revisiting.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Does the Garlic Jr. arc still get lots of hate?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 am

It's pretty good by filler arc standards which needless to say is not that great in general.

Contrary to popular opinion though, it wasn't terrible. It was cool to see the Z-Warriors hold out without Goku's help, there was some nice fight scenes, and Krillin is handled surprisingly well in this arc (especially his relationship with Maron) considering Toei generally makes him the butt of the joke in most of the movies (and some filler), but the art/animation was notably worse than average (I remember Gohan's tongue once being colored purple) and the fight with Garlic Jr. dragged like a mofo which is strange because it had no manga to adapt.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 am

I'm not sure most fans really talks much about the Garlic Jr arc these days because there really isn't much to actually discuss about it. The content itself is extremely isolated from the main series, even in the context of it being "filler". I don't recall Garlic Jr, or anyone associated with him, having a cameo or even being talked about in any kind of Dragon Ball animated material again after the Garlic Jr arc in DBZ.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Good saga, I enjoyed it solid fights, all in all an entertaining watch fun to watch Gohan, Piccolo, interact with Kuririn.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 pm

It's short but it's boring and drags.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't hate it, sure could have been better, but as it as been said this filler arc have a problem with the movie who don't fit the start of Dragon Ball Z. Beside that arc is clearly what's inspired my topic about the seven years of peace gap. Peace that is on earth but quid of the others planets ? :eh:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:10 pm

As others have said, it is nice to watch the second stringers actually pull off something for once. The weird thing about Kuririn in this arc is that he spends the entire time getting his ass kicked by Garlic and his henchmen...then out of NOWHERE he completely punks on a powered up Garlic Jr.

I think Super really could have used a mini arc where the second and third string heroes actually fight off a villain. I can't be the only one who'd want to see that.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:20 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Contrary to popular opinion though, it wasn't terrible. It was cool to see the Z-Warriors hold out without Goku's help, there was some nice fight scenes, and Krillin is handled surprisingly well in this arc (especially his relationship with Maron) considering Toei generally makes him the butt of the joke in most of the movies (and some filler), but the art/animation was notably worse than average (I remember Gohan's tongue once being colored purple) and the fight with Garlic Jr. dragged like a mofo which is strange because it had no manga to adapt.
Hahaha, I don't remember Gohan's purple tongue....... but I agree, this arc definitely did right by Kuririn where a lot of anime-only content didn't. And the episode where he wants to propose to Maron definitely has its sweet moments.

For the most part, I found the Garlic Jr. episodes enjoyable. I agree with what you guys have been saying about Gohan, Kuririn and Piccolo's camaraderie, that was a pleasure to watch (and a natural extension of their scenes together against the Saiyans and against Freeza on Namek. And as I think Meri mentioned long ago on the podcast, it was cool learning more about Kami and seeing him get a fairly meaty role in the story. I don't mind Garlic Jr. himself as a villain either: he's pretty unrepentantly evil, but you can still understand where he's coming from. Plus, Gohan's dragon finally made it into the show!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:59 pm

I actually do somewhat like the Garlic Jr. arc for what it is. The arc is throwaway filler with some pretty lousy animation, but I also kind of like how it’s sort of a day in the limelight situation for Gohan, Kuririn and Piccolo. I also liked the horror elements of the arc, and I always have liked stories where the protagonists are forced to fight their loved ones.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:37 pm

I find it impressive that things fell into place for Funimation on this. Funimation dubbed movie 1 and hadn't done the rest of the series past Goku's arrival on Namek and Toonami actually aired movie 1 when DBZ reached its Funi endpoint at the time. Had all that not happened, many fans would be totally lost on who Garlic Jr. even was. So it just kind of all worked out perfectly. I saw that movie at least a few times before the actual arc started, so I was totally familiar with that story. Of the very limited amount of content dubbed by Funi, for that story to be done and it being approved for air and repeating several times, it all just seemed to fall into place perfectly.

I thought it was okay. I was a kid -- I didn't discriminate between DB content. It could have been anything with a DBZ label and I'd like it. I wouldn't really ever watch it again, but I never hated it.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:16 am

Oh and that was another thing. For some reason Toonami LOVED The Garlic Jr Saga. At least every summer they'd marathon it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Really? I only really remember it getting special promotion when it was "brand new" under Toonami Rising Sun.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:25 pm

I’ve always really liked this filler because you saw a lot of interaction between Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo. Plus, it kind of served as an in-between for Gohan’s character from the end of Namek to the beginning of the Trunks saga. As many have mentioned, it was nice to defeat an enemy without Goku.

I think a lot of hate for the Garlic Junior saga can be traced back to: assumes Movie 1 as canon when it doesn’t fit, the story drags pretty badly at times and it has potential to be something better. That seems to be what really upsets people in any fandom, not necessarily that what we got was horrible but that what we COULD have received might have been incredible.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm

ulisa wrote:I’ve always really liked this filler because you saw a lot of interaction between Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo. Plus, it kind of served as an in-between for Gohan’s character from the end of Namek to the beginning of the Trunks saga. As many have mentioned, it was nice to defeat an enemy without Goku.

I think a lot of hate for the Garlic Junior saga can be traced back to: assumes Movie 1 as canon when it doesn’t fit, the story drags pretty badly at times and it has potential to be something better. That seems to be what really upsets people in any fandom, not necessarily that what we got was horrible but that what we COULD have received might have been incredible.
But doesn't the idea of a good idea badly executed sound like a lot of stories? I don't know why this would upset so many people in this case.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Another reason I liked this saga was because it could be binged in a morning. That helped and as someone alluded to earlier, having the DBZ tag meant that it was worth watching to me. I feel like the Garlic Jr. arc aired repeatedly in the UK while we waited for the Android saga to begin.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 pm

ABED wrote:But doesn't the idea of a good idea badly executed sound like a lot of stories? I don't know why this would upset so many people in this case.
I think it’s that, combined with all the other factors, at least from my experience. I’ve also heard people say they hate it because there’s no Goku or Vegeta whereas others praise it for those same reasons. I’ve also heard that people grow to dislike it because it was overplayed on television and they got sick of seeing it. I don’t think there’s necessarily one or even two reasons that people dislike this arc; it’s multiple reasons for different people. Those were just the main points that came to mind that I’ve heard.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 pm

ulisa wrote:
ABED wrote:But doesn't the idea of a good idea badly executed sound like a lot of stories? I don't know why this would upset so many people in this case.
I think it’s that, combined with all the other factors, at least from my experience. I’ve also heard people say they hate it because there’s no Goku or Vegeta whereas others praise it for those same reasons. I’ve also heard that people grow to dislike it because it was overplayed on television and they got sick of seeing it. I don’t think there’s necessarily one or even two reasons that people dislike this arc; it’s multiple reasons for different people. Those were just the main points that came to mind that I’ve heard.
Obviously it's multiple factors but "good idea, bad execution" can be said for nearly every bad story.

I don't think this arc gets a lot of hate. There's a lot of criticism towards it but not hate.