How do the Z Broly movies connect with the Super Broly movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

How do the Z Broly movies connect with the Super Broly movie?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Not talking in a canon way but is there a chronological order that one should watch them?

List of Broly Movies
  • DBZ Movie 07: Broly — The Legendary Super Saiyan
  • DBZ Movie 09: Broly — Second Coming
  • DBZ Movie 11: Bio-Broly
  • DBS Movie 01: Broly — The Story of an Unknown Saiyan
Or should it be completely separated considering the Broly from the Super flick looks nothing like the 'Classic Broly'?

Y'know, maybe in the future FUNimation will even do a quadrilogy collection of Broly movies (fingers crossed they'll have the TOEI HD remasters to use on Blu-ray releases).

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: How do the Z Broly movies connect with the Super Broly movie?

Post by Cetra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm

In terms of chronology you only need to be aware that 8 is before 10 and 11 after 10. Obviously, hence the numbers. Everyone is a sequel to the one from before. You do not need to watch any of those or the Super one before or after as he first three are simply the inspirations of that reboot but if you are interested in knowing where it came from you should probably watch 8, then 10, then 11 BEFORE watching the reboot.

But even if you wait it will probably make no difference.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Every DB movie except 17th took place after previous one.
So watch them in their release date order.

And you don't really NEED to know them before new movie but i still recommend you ot watch them.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Cetra wrote:In terms of chronology you only need to be aware that 8 is before 10 and 11 after 10. Obviously, hence the numbers. Everyone is a sequel to the one from before. You do not need to watch any of those or the Super one before or after as he first three are simply the inspirations of that reboot but if you are interested in knowing where it came from you should probably watch 8, then 10, then 11 BEFORE watching the reboot.

But even if you wait it will probably make no difference.
Thanks. I'm going to wait and hope FUNimation releases the DB & Z movies remastered by TOEI on Blu-ray, then watch the Broly trilogy and everything.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Every DB movie except 17th took place after previous one.
So watch them in their release date order.

And you don't really NEED to know them before new movie but i still recommend you ot watch them.
There is a certain order to watch the movies. Like, each movie kinda fits each arc of Dragon Ball Z though the Dragon Ball ones don't.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 pm

The Broly in the Super movie is a completely new character, so there won't be any need to watch the previous Broly movie in order to understand him because he'll be introduced for the very first time. However as a history lesson for what the old version was like, yeah, all three.

Oddly, it may be an idea to watch the episodes involving Kale going Legendary Super Saiyan, as there's a high likelihood that the heroes will comment that Broly "must be our universe's Kale".