Did Super have to redo Battle of Gods and Ressurection F for their plot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Did Super have to redo Battle of Gods and Ressurection F for their plot?

Post by matt0044 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am

A weird question, I know, but I find myself wondering why Dragon Ball Super didn't just pick up where Ressurection F left off rather than redoing the movies from scratch with some, erm, spotty animation when compared side by side. I mean, Tangled and Big Hero Six didn't have to redo the original movie to fit it in with their own TV series, they build off of what was already created. Why fix what wasn't broke?

Bullza
Banned

Re: Did Super have to redo Battle of Gods and Ressurection F for their plot?

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 am

It was probably required for the timing.

Resurrection F came out in April and Dragon Ball Super only came out a few months later in July. Toriyama would have needed time to think up ideas, write out an outline, create new characters desings and then Toei would have needed to have put that all into production.

There wouldn't have been enough time to start with the Universe 6 Saga by July.

So at least by starting out with the retellings it gave Toriyama a good few months to work things out.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:59 am

Super retelling Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F was something Toriyama's idea:
They explain that incorporating the theatrical films Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ into the new television series was Toriyama’s idea, and was part of introducing the characters Beerus and Whis, who the producers deemed essential to the story, to children who may not have already seen the movies.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 am

I think a 1-2 episode recap would've been more than enough so no, they didn't need to remake both completely. I do think they helped prevent the new content from having the bad animation that Super suffered from in those recaps so I guess that's a plus.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:59 pm

No, it didn't.

Super, from everything we've heard was rushed into production. Toriyama wanted the movies to be retold, most likely because TOEI didn't give him enough notice and he wanted more time to start writing new stories. TOEI understandably welcomed the idea as it cut costs and allowed them to have another anime running on Fuji TV while they better prepared for improving the production in later arcs of that same show.

For better or for worse they were by no means necessary. TOEI could have wrote new stories to introduce Beerus and Whis, all the new transformations and no one would have complained. They already went out of their way to make changes to those existing stories however small, so they could have easily justified having new stories so long as all the new concepts were introduced, and it wouldn't have been that hard with how bare bones they were.

Resurrection F in particular would have benefited from the teased team up between Freeza and Champa as TOEI was making the same mistake Funimation made by having two very similar products on the market within the same time frame and thus creating internal competition, and for Battle of Gods Goku and Beerus could have met and fought anywhere, it didn't have to be at Bulma's birthday party.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm

The way I like to look at why they did the re-tellings, is that Battle of the Gods and Ressurection F both follow the original manga's continuity, where as Dragon Ball Super follows Toei's Dragon Ball Z anime continuity.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 pm

They could have in theory condensed the overall stories of the two films into double length episodes or perhaps even quasi specials of sorts, the whole thing they did with stretching out these rehashes/re workings of BOG and RoF in order to create two full drawn out story arcs was overdoing it. I look at it as an improvised thing because Super came so quickly and overall it's the same basic story beats being told just with some slight (and other cases bigger) alterations to the existing movies' storylines so Toriyama basically said to Toei what i would interpret as "Here, you need material to kick off this new show until there is sufficient time to create original stories so just change around the events of these most recent films and piecemeal the story out through multiple episodes for each." is what i would assume went down when planning for the show was taking place.

IMO, when i do eventually get around to getting Super on home video i will most likely skip those episodes because quite frankly, they appear to me as redundant because it's more or less the same things being retold in episodic format with some changes here and there. I can just watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F by themselves and not really miss out on anything important.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

I am sure the branding thing was also a factor. Those movies were Z this was a new brand, I think they did the right thing and obviously wasn't perfect but everything with Beerus and Whis they nailed to T, Beerus and Whis were very integral so I don't think a quick slapdash recap was needed of course they went a bit far stretching things out but like I said the two characters that needed to be benefited from the retelling were. Beerus was shown as an actual GoD with varying emotions and was even portrayed legitimately scary a few times and we got more insight into Whis and his training of Goku & Vegeta.

So I would say the retellings completed their mission. The retellings also sold well so more evidence it was a success.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Way I see it, if they wanted to do that, they should have merged the stories into one and told it rather differently. You could lose all the nonsense and baggage of the crap in ResF, while having a lot of what was good about both movies, and telling a somewhat differing story to keep the attention of people who've already seen the originals. As it is, the retellings are just no good, and were just a bit of a stupid thing to do, in my mind.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Way I see it, if they wanted to do that, they should have merged the stories into one and told it rather differently. You could lose all the nonsense and baggage of the crap in ResF, while having a lot of what was good about both movies, and telling a somewhat differing story to keep the attention of people who've already seen the originals. As it is, the retellings are just no good, and were just a bit of a stupid thing to do, in my mind.
Same here, as i said above they really are redundant if you have already seen both movies more than once. The retold, broken into episode versions in Super are just basically covering the same story beats and material while slightly changing some things around like locations of places where events happened and such. IMO, they really could have gone in a different direction with these but as they are i find them really unnecessary overall and don't really provide much of a great expansion beyond what was already there in movie form.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 am

For what we wound up with--retellings that actually cause more confusion with material to come after than their source movies would have (remember that the Super TV series never even explains why the Pilaf gang are young)--I think it's baffling that this route was chosen over simply re-airing the movies in episode format if filling production time wasn't a factor (and it may have been).

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 am

Cipher wrote:For what we wound up with--retellings that actually cause more confusion with material to come after than their source movies would have (remember that the Super TV series never even explains why the Pilaf gang are young)--I think it's baffling that this route was chosen over simply re-airing the movies in episode format if filling production time wasn't a factor (and it may have been).
I've heard that there were rights issues with fox I believe about airing or reusing footage from BOG and ROF. Not sure if that could have impacted how those arcs turned out(it was extremely rushed, even in how the staff reflected on it, with them not even choosing a series composer because they believed they could simply rely on Toriyama and the movies for writing inspiration).

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 am

Despite the inconsistent animation, I'm glad they retold the movies mostly because I didn't watch RoF and partially because Dragon Ball Z ended a long time ago and I think using the plot from Battle of Gods was a good way to recap the story.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 am

Rubens wrote:Despite the inconsistent animation, I'm glad they retold the movies mostly because I didn't watch RoF and partially because Dragon Ball Z ended a long time ago and I think using the plot from Battle of Gods was a good way to recap the story.
But it's not a recap. It's the exact opposite of a recap. It would've taken you less time to watch the movie.

Storywise, no, they didn't have to redo the movies, but maybe there are business reasons to adapt them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 am

Not everyone watches movies as they do TV shows. They didn't have to, but considering imminent confusion among viewers, it was the right choice. The Garlic Jr. filler arc left me confused for years
Last edited by mute_proxy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am

Robo4900 wrote:Way I see it, if they wanted to do that, they should have merged the stories into one and told it rather differently. You could lose all the nonsense and baggage of the crap in ResF, while having a lot of what was good about both movies, and telling a somewhat differing story to keep the attention of people who've already seen the originals. As it is, the retellings are just no good, and were just a bit of a stupid thing to do, in my mind.
The problem, as ABED pointed out is that the retellings are longer than the movies. Add that to the fact the retellings have worse animation and music and there's really no point in watching them over the movies.

Telling different stories that have the same outcome (introducing Beerus and Whis, Goku attaining god forms, etc) would have been a much better way to go, like The Freeza and Champa team up that was teased but never happened, and Goku's fight with Beerus didn't have to happen on Bulma's birthday, especially when they went to the effort of changing the setting.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Yeah, a recap episode for each would’ve been plenty. 26 episodes of bad retellings was really a waste of resources.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Sounds like it was the result of a mandate. It does explain some redundancies such as Gohan and Kuririn both deciding to get back to training twice throughout the series.