Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:13 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Sweet, was worried it'd be the same as the US and we'd get two green covers in a row. Happy to have Vegito on a cover after selling all my orange bricks.
Actually it looks like the colours have been slightly different since around Part 3.
Not to mention the composition is slightly different (look at Goku Black's lower hand relative to the logo). I actually like MangaUK's better, it has the boxset data in the white bar at the top, which is a better use of that negative space.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:21 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Sweet, was worried it'd be the same as the US and we'd get two green covers in a row. Happy to have Vegito on a cover after selling all my orange bricks.
Actually it looks like the colours have been slightly different since around Part 3.
I'm aware of the different tones, I just like the variation on the MangaUK editions. Funimation used two shades of blue parts 3 and 4, I was worried with Manga we'd get two other shades of blue for those parts and/ two different shades of green for parts 5 and 6 but thankfully each part has been followed by a completely different colour on the cover. Changing from blue for part 4 was also a great choice as the contrast from Trunks' colours was very well done.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:14 pm

The Broly Trilogy's artwork is up; It's just a simplified version of the modern movie 10 poster and looks kinda bland IMO. They have kept the Triple Feature branding, so apparently they don't want it to look too separate from the combo packs.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:01 pm

This one is an odd change, I mean it's a great cover (personally looks better than the Zamasu one) but it looks like something they'd put on a DBZ BluRay, Vegito being base and all

Ooops someone already posted this :mrgreen:
Last edited by mute_proxy on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:03 pm

It would be ironic if even this set sells better than Manga UK's release of Kai TFC.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:22 pm

mute_proxy wrote:Image

This one is an odd change, I mean it's a great cover (personally looks better than the Zamasu one) but it looks like something they'd put on a DBZ BluRay, Vegito being base and all

Yeah, it should have Bluegetto on the cover.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Almost mistook the Vegetto cover for being Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray but then realized it's Super. xD

Dragon Ball Z TV Series deserves so badly to receive a quality HD remaster and all it's been given so far was, shitty 'remasters' by FUNimation.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:42 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Almost mistook the Vegetto cover for being Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray but then realized it's Super. xD

Dragon Ball Z TV Series deserves so badly to receive a quality HD remaster and all it's been given so far was, shitty 'remasters' by FUNimation.
Agreed, and I'm actually hoping Manga UK will hold off on releasing DBZ on Blu-Ray until we see if TOEI remasters the series and what that will look like. I told them on Facebook about the potential new remasters and they thanked me, so only time will tell.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Agreed, and I'm actually hoping Manga UK will hold off on releasing DBZ on Blu-Ray until we see if TOEI remasters the series and what that will look like. I told them on Facebook about the potential new remasters and they thanked me, so only time will tell.
Hopefully for once they'll listen to a fan and not decide to license the crappy FUNimation DBZ Blu-ray Seasons. For example, I and others told Manga UK about the issues the Dragon Ball Saga Sets (Madman ver.) had but did they care to fix or use the R1 discs instead? No.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Does anyone have the Manga UK Movie + TV Specials collection on blu-ray? If so, can you verify it it’s region locked? I can’t find any pictures of the back of the package online. Just wanna know if it’d work on a Region A player.
Last edited by PacificOceanDub on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:22 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Does anyone have the Manga UK Movie + TV Specials collection on blu-ray? If so, can you verify it it’s region locked? I can’t find any pictures of the back of the package online. Just wanna know if it’d work on a Region 1 player.
I have all the movies and specials, and I can confirm they include Region A even though its not stated on the back, so theoretically the collection, if its just the movies and specials repackaged (which is likely, especially since its Manga UK) should be the same.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I have all the movies and specials, and I can confirm they include Region A even though its not stated on the back, so theoretically the collection, if its just the movies and specials repackaged (which is likely, especially since its Manga UK) should be the same.
Huh, that's interesting.

Here are photos I took of the packaging. I kind of bought it knowingly it was a shitty product but wanted because the slipcover and packaging in itself looks awesome and to be fair, the video remaster of Movies 12 and 13 actually look pretty darn nice although, the Japanese audio made it unwatchable for me.

With the TOEI HD remasters, these'll look like crap in comparison, obviously.

By the way, I wish I owned Ocean Dub's Movies 1-3 on Laser Disc but not going out of my way to owning them now. Don't own a Laser Disc Player and the prices likely hiked up since a few years.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:13 pm

This is out so I was curious in what the packaging's like. I didn't expect the packaging to be anything impressive and still, I was disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3oGLiWjlg

At least with the individual movie releases they look a lot nicer with the slipcovers.

Manga UK always cheapens out.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:28 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I have all the movies and specials, and I can confirm they include Region A even though its not stated on the back, so theoretically the collection, if its just the movies and specials repackaged (which is likely, especially since its Manga UK) should be the same.
Huh, that's interesting.
I should clarify, as I just watched my double feature of movies 5 and 6 the other day, and I had to change the region on my multi-region Blu-Ray player from A to B for it to play, although when I played movies 3 and 4 for some reason that set played regardless of the region it was set to, so it appears some of Manga UK's movie sets include both regions, but not all of them. Not sure if 90sDBZ has noticed this inconsistency too or if all his double features are A/B, but it's very strange.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:This is out so I was curious in what the packaging's like. I didn't expect the packaging to be anything impressive and still, I was disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3oGLiWjlg

At least with the individual movie releases they look a lot nicer with the slipcovers.

Manga UK always cheapens out.
Yeah, I definitely prefer the double features as sold separately and think the slipcovers with the movie posters look nice even if it takes up more shelf space. For the collection it would have been nice if they had slim cases inside with the full cover art for each movie like Funi's 3 and 4 movie packs, although I'm glad Manga at least chose not to stack the discs on top of one another (that drives me mad).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yeah, I definitely prefer the double features as sold separately and think the slipcovers with the movie posters look nice even if it takes up more shelf space. For the collection it would have been nice if they had slim cases inside with the full cover art for each movie like Funi's 3 and 4 movie packs, although I'm glad Manga at least chose not to stack the discs on top of one another (that drives me mad).
I'd guess that in a few years time this will be sold for £10 or less in CeX stores so while it's a cheap looking package, it's not a bad deal when it get slashed to that low.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:31 am

The Broly Trilogy cover has been unveiled.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yeah, I definitely prefer the double features as sold separately and think the slipcovers with the movie posters look nice even if it takes up more shelf space. For the collection it would have been nice if they had slim cases inside with the full cover art for each movie like Funi's 3 and 4 movie packs, although I'm glad Manga at least chose not to stack the discs on top of one another (that drives me mad).
Stacking discs on top of more discs is a really god damn cheap thing to do and kind of annoying, the discs should be separated and I think they do so now so at least they improved their packaging somewhat.

Here's a sample photo of a Manga UK release where the discs are stacked up:
"Not for sale outside UK or Ireland." Good luck with that, Manga UK. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am

So apparently the Broly trilogy will be distributed through Morrisons. Obviously Amazon have it too.

Hard to imagine a market for this, but who knows. Maybe there will be some people who have not watched DBZ since Toonami UK, haven't really got into online shopping or are just unaware of Manga UK from not being big DVD buyers in general and on a stroll through Morrisons will be like "Oh yeah DBZ, haven't seen that in Donkeys years, wonder if these movies are any good, sure I'll grab it while its there".

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:So apparently the Broly trilogy will be distributed through Morrisons. Obviously Amazon have it too.

Hard to imagine a market for this, but who knows. Maybe there will be some people who have not watched DBZ since Toonami UK, haven't really got into online shopping or are just unaware of Manga UK from not being big DVD buyers in general and on a stroll through Morrisons will be like "Oh yeah DBZ, haven't seen that in Donkeys years, wonder if these movies are any good, sure I'll grab it while its there".
It's interesting they went with Morrison's over Sainsbury's who previously sold Battle of Gods and Resurrection F on DVD.

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if these do well. There might be a bunch of casual fans out there who didn't fancy spending the extra money on the Blu-rays, which forced you to buy both formats by default. I remember Manga UK putting out Mighty Morphin Power Rangers "Green with Evil" and "Best of Blue" ahead of their Season sets to cash in on the new movie.

It does seem a bit lazy only doing the Broly movies on DVD though, as Movies 10 and 11 aren't exactly the most popular among fans. Perhaps they should have gone with a set of Movie 8, Movie 12, and the Bardock Special to make up for the lack of screenings for those movies here. Or even put the Cooler movies out on DVD as both of them are pretty well liked.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 am

Manga UK is going to release a Dragon Ball "Trilogy" containing BoG, RF and B on May 27.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Trilogy ... 07NHQVDX2/

BoG and RF really should have been DBS movies.