Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Just noticed Manga are releasing the Broly trilogy again on January 14th but on DVD.

Very odd when they've already released it on Blu-Ray :shock:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Just noticed Manga are releasing the Broly trilogy again on January 14th but on DVD.

Very odd when they've already released it on Blu-Ray :shock:
No cover yet. It begs the question, what and why? The Broly Trilogy already exists in UK but I guess Manga just wants to cash-in on the Super Broly popularity.

Hope that the cover is at least decent.

By the way, this is precisely something I would have imagined FUNimation to pull and not some other Western anime distributor.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Manga do weird stuff all the time, like when Season 1 of DBZ came out they also released the discs one by one as volumes, they're also doing a DVD release of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure The Movies which is just the TV series cut down, why they don't just release Stardust Crusaders I have no idea...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:By the way, this is precisely something I would have imagined FUNimation to pull and not some other Western anime distributor.
Well since Super and Kai TFC Funimation don't seem as invested in re-releasing older content as they used to be, which is not entirely a bad thing as they had to slow down on that.
The Time Traveller wrote:Manga do weird stuff all the time, like when Season 1 of DBZ came out they also released the discs one by one as volumes, they're also doing a DVD release of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure The Movies which is just the TV series cut down, why they don't just release Stardust Crusaders I have no idea...
I understand repackaging the orange bricks into singles as they were meant to be sold in mainstream retailers (specifically Sainsbury's) that didn't usually stock anime, and thus would be more widely available for parents to buy their kids. And for the kids who watched Kai (which Manga UK didn't have the licence for at the time) on Kix it was a lower point of entry as they would be more likely to buy the parts at lower prices than full seasons.

Re-releasing a triple feature which already has a combo pack on the market however is very strange, when they could have released all the movies with DVD and Blu-Ray versions like they did with Kai and Super. Maybe they do want to squeeze whatever they can make from the minority that will want those three movies at a slight discount from an SD-only release and will buy because of the Broly hype. Who knows.

I just hope Rock the Dragon is still on the cards. There's a DVD-exclusive release I would buy from them in a heartbeat.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:33 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I just hope Rock the Dragon is still on the cards. There's a DVD-exclusive release I would buy from them in a heartbeat.
I didn't even think about that. I missed out on the US one, I'd totally get that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I just hope Rock the Dragon is still on the cards. There's a DVD-exclusive release I would buy from them in a heartbeat.
Wouldn't get your hopes up. Rock the Dragon wasn't transferred to PAL by Madman so considering Manga UK usually just re-packages Dragon Ball stuff, it doesn't seem too likely.

Madman also didn't license the Dragon Box Z but it was R4-compatible. However, Madman got their hands on the Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1 and 1.2 Blu-rays so even though that was canceled, it would be awesome to see it getting a re-release for anyone who wants to grab a brand new factory sealed copy without being overcharged.

ImageImage

I honestly hate the BBFC rating logos but the USK and ACB ones are even worse since they take up way more space.

The only way to make matters worse with rating logos, is if it were like this:

Ya think that's enough?! :|

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:ImageImage

I honestly hate the BBFC rating logos but the USK and ACB ones are even worse since they take up way more space.
I actually like 'em, they're clear and easy to read so of all the ratings systems out there, I feel they do the job most effectively. Although I do agree that they can feel quite large on certain cover layouts.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Wouldn't get your hopes up. Rock the Dragon wasn't transferred to PAL by Madman so considering Manga UK usually just re-packages Dragon Ball stuff, it doesn't seem too likely.
Does it really matter? I used to watch my Dragon Boxes on a crappy old PAL TV, some companies do NTSC DVDs too, I think the current Cowboy Bebop DVDs in the UK is NTSC, not sure about that though...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Does it really matter? I used to watch my Dragon Boxes on a crappy old PAL TV, some companies do NTSC DVDs too, I think the current Cowboy Bebop DVDs in the UK is NTSC, not sure about that though...
Well, it's the usual practice for companies to do.

I do wish the whole PAL vs NTSC never existed because PAL ruined games and movies/shows by slowing it down. Sonic 1 PAL is pretty much unplayable nowadays because it feels so sluggish compared to the real NTSC version.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:42 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I do wish the whole PAL vs NTSC never existed because PAL ruined games and movies/shows by slowing it down.
PAL converted movies/shows are actually sped up.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:PAL converted movies/shows are actually sped up.
True, got it confused with games and movies/shows. It would've been better if in the 80's and 90's everything just had one TV system.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:42 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Rock the Dragon wasn't transferred to PAL by Madman so considering Manga UK usually just re-packages Dragon Ball stuff, it doesn't seem too likely.
FWIW, Manga has (as of Nov 2016 at least) released NTSC DVDs where a PAL version is unavailable, though I'm not sure if they'd bother with Rock the Dragon; Getting a BBFC rating for RTD would cost Manga ~£11200.

Speaking of Sainsbury's, they did stock Resurrection 'F' on DVD, so perhaps the Broly Trilogy is aimed at them and the casual/nostalgic viewer market that will be interested in the new film but not in a complete set of Dragon Ball films/series?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 am

LostTimeLord wrote:FWIW, Manga has (as of Nov 2016 at least) released NTSC DVDs where a PAL version is unavailable, though I'm not sure if they'd bother with Rock the Dragon; Getting a BBFC rating for RTD would cost Manga ~£11200.
That sounds more than Manga UK could afford to license it and how are their Kai TFC sales going? Doesn't seem too great, whether on Amazon or anywhere else it doesn't really have new reviews which is something newly released products usually get from its recent customers.

I'm going to wait till the Kai TFC DVDs drop to under 10 bills.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I'll probably start getting The Final Chapters once I get Kai seasons 3 and 4. I finally picked up Super and just like the Z movie double features they are straight up the US blu-rays, except without the 10 year old trailers.

Maybe we need to ask about Dragon Boxes and Rock Dragon, I'd totally get the DBoxes again, and I missed it on Rock the Dragon the first time. Plus I don't own the Pioneer releases...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Maybe we need to ask about Dragon Boxes and Rock Dragon, I'd totally get the DBoxes again, and I missed it on Rock the Dragon the first time. Plus I don't own the Pioneer releases...
I honestly think the ship has sailed with the Dragon Boxes. It probably would have been feasible around 2012-14 when everyone wanted them and probably would have settled to have them in fat packs with no booklets (which is what a UK release would have looked like). Also, as TOEI is most likely going to release the series on Blu-Ray it would be redundant to have another DVD release with the same audio tracks (minus Johnson/Faulconer) in a market as small as the UK. At least with Rock the Dragon its a different cast and score.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:46 am

The Time Traveller wrote:I'll probably start getting The Final Chapters once I get Kai seasons 3 and 4. I finally picked up Super and just like the Z movie double features they are straight up the US blu-rays, except without the 10 year old trailers.

Maybe we need to ask about Dragon Boxes and Rock Dragon, I'd totally get the DBoxes again, and I missed it on Rock the Dragon the first time. Plus I don't own the Pioneer releases...
Manga UK made terrible decisions, just like after all this time they went ahead and released TFC and the Double Features.. and the Double Features' Broly Trilogy on DVD. If they end up bankrupt don't be surprised.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 am

I doubt they'd end up bankrupt, they release stuff people want all the time and they've been around for so long, I still have VHS tapes from them. Releasing the Broly Trilogy on DVD might end up a smart idea once the new movie comes out.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 am

We may as well change this to a UK release thread, because look at this, we're getting a different cover from the US for Part 6 of Super.
Compare that to what the US got.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 am

The Time Traveller wrote:We may as well change this to a UK release thread, because look at this, we're getting a different cover from the US for Part 6 of Super.
Compare that to what the US got.
Sweet, was worried it'd be the same as the US and we'd get two green covers in a row. Happy to have Vegito on a cover after selling all my orange bricks.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Sweet, was worried it'd be the same as the US and we'd get two green covers in a row. Happy to have Vegito on a cover after selling all my orange bricks.
Actually it looks like the colours have been slightly different since around Part 3.