Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:09 pm

DVD @ £63.74 (about £9.10 for each ~ $81.64 / €70.74)
Blu-ray @ £74.99 (about £10.70 for each ~ $96.04 / €83.21)

http://www.mangauk.com/product/dragon-b ... d-blu-ray/

Not a bad price as a batch but considering TOEI has remastered the DB and Z movies, this is obviously a way in for Manga UK to make profit from a release that may have been undersold.

If just watching the movies on a TV, they look pretty decent while on screenshots all of its flaws become noticeable. TOEI has yet to remastered the 2 Z TV-Specials.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Manga UK releasing DBZ Movie & TV-Specials Collection (Blu-ray/DVD)

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:26 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:If just watching the movies on a TV, they look pretty decent while on screenshots all of its flaws become noticeable. TOEI has yet to remastered the 2 Z TV-Specials.
The movies, you're right. In fact, the movie masters are rather nice. The TV specials are a horrible mess in this remaster, though. Better to wait and see if Toei do the series, and thus the specials too. Otherwise, you're better off going for the oldschool DVDs or something.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 am

Robo4900 wrote:The movies, you're right. In fact, the movie masters are rather nice. The TV specials are a horrible mess in this remaster, though. Better to wait and see if Toei do the series, and thus the specials too. Otherwise, you're better off going for the oldschool DVDs or something.
They do? The screenshots at Blu-ray.com don't seem to look bad or even terrible but it's kinda hard to judge anything by screenshots.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:23 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The movies, you're right. In fact, the movie masters are rather nice. The TV specials are a horrible mess in this remaster, though. Better to wait and see if Toei do the series, and thus the specials too. Otherwise, you're better off going for the oldschool DVDs or something.
They do? The screenshots at Blu-ray.com don't seem to look bad or even terrible but it's kinda hard to judge anything by screenshots.
One of the problems is the cropping as unlike the movies which were made with 16:9 in mind, these weren't so you end up losing some important image like heads and mouths in certain scenes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
They use the same "Remastering" Funi applied to their BDs of the Z series, so every reason those BDs are an ugly abomination applies to those specials too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:this is obviously a way in for Manga UK to make profit from a release that may have been undersold.
Not necessarily. Lately they've been really big on doing larger boxsets of previous and even current releases. They've recently announced a Digimon Season 1-4 boxset with Season 3 and 4 not even out yet, and Digimon Tri the complete collection with part 6 not out yet. And they're also releasing a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season 1-3 complete set after releasing them individually. On top of that there's the GT complete set also coming out.

I find it hard to imagine the old movies underselling to be honest considering how well the Orange Bricks and newer movies did for Manga UK. Combining smaller sets into bigger sets is actually a very common practice for companies, and it often gets done simultaneously with the individual release.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them announce a complete set for Kai the Final Chapters at some point too, which may convince me to double dip after importing.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:26 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Not necessarily. Lately they've been really big on doing larger boxsets of previous and even current releases. They've recently announced a Digimon Season 1-4 boxset with Season 3 and 4 not even out yet, and Digimon Tri the complete collection with part 6 not out yet. And they're also releasing a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season 1-3 complete set after releasing them individually. On top of that there's the GT complete set also coming out.

I find it hard to imagine the old movies underselling to be honest considering how well the Orange Bricks and newer movies did for Manga UK. Combining smaller sets into bigger sets is actually a very common practice for companies, and it often gets done simultaneously with the individual release.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them announce a complete set for Kai the Final Chapters at some point too, which may convince me to double dip after importing.
Madman has released a Dragon Ball Kai complete boxset series so chances are very likely, a Dragon Ball boxset too would be neat but Madman didn't do one, if I recall correctly. DB was given two fat-packs instead which is great as it saves space from needless DVD boxes with only one disc inside.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Not necessarily. Lately they've been really big on doing larger boxsets of previous and even current releases. They've recently announced a Digimon Season 1-4 boxset with Season 3 and 4 not even out yet, and Digimon Tri the complete collection with part 6 not out yet. And they're also releasing a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season 1-3 complete set after releasing them individually. On top of that there's the GT complete set also coming out.

Madman has released a Dragon Ball Kai complete boxset series so chances are very likely, a Dragon Ball boxset too would be neat but Madman didn't do one, if I recall correctly. DB was given two fat-packs instead which is great as it saves space from needless DVD boxes with only one disc inside.
the Fat Packs were the Most recent thing - before that we had Two Orange Box sets and the Turtle Crane Box sets ( cant recall how many Parts they were split in to) and maybe something Before it

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:33 pm

As far as I'm concerned, these Manga UK releases are even more worthless than they were before. With Toei's own HD remasters out, you'd have to be a rather ignorant fan to still want these. MangaUK are most likely just trying to squeeze whatever they can out of these old masters before they're no longer relevant.

I wouldn't advise anyone support this.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:11 pm

I doubt Manga UK had any inclination the new remasters were coming, hell, I wouldn't even say its likely Funimation knew until they were announced.

I don't blame Manga UK for releasing them, at least not in principle. The problem is that they waited too long. They would have been better off as a stopgap between Kai 1.0 and Super.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

NitroEX wrote:As far as I'm concerned, these Manga UK releases are even more worthless than they were before. With Toei's own HD remasters out, you'd have to be a rather ignorant fan to still want these. MangaUK are most likely just trying to squeeze whatever they can out of these old masters before they're no longer relevant.

I wouldn't advise anyone support this.
Blu-Ray? Yeah for sue. DVD? Well due to the smaller regioning they have fewer importing options compared to Blu-Ray. They're also the only option if you want to have a legal on-hand copy over streaming it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I doubt Manga UK had any inclination the new remasters were coming, hell, I wouldn't even say its likely Funimation knew until they were announced.
Doesn't matter to me, they're a business after all and I shouldn't be expected to pay for their mistakes or oversight. If they can't communicate effectively with Toei then that's their problem. Perhaps a different distributor could do a better job.
..And preferably not flood the market with Funimation's poorly remastered hand-me-downs.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:41 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I doubt Manga UK had any inclination the new remasters were coming, hell, I wouldn't even say its likely Funimation knew until they were announced.
Doesn't matter to me, they're a business after all and I shouldn't be expected to pay for their mistakes or oversight. If they can't communicate effectively with Toei then that's their problem. Perhaps a different distributor could do a better job.
..And preferably not flood the market with Funimation's poorly remastered hand-me-downs.
Manga UK has always been a mixed-bag company. On the one hand, they never released new Kai seasons with the Kikuchi score. On the other, they never bother to get anything fixed and release as Madman had it themselves.

I'm speaking specifically about the Dragon Ball Saga set Madman issues.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Man, i’d Really like to buy this, and get rid of the Funi steelbooks I have all the movies on. I’d save shelf space, plus i’d finally have all the movies on blu-ray. But there’s still no box art posted for this thing. I don’t wanna pre-order it without knowing what it looks like.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:35 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Man, i’d Really like to buy this, and get rid of the Funi steelbooks I have all the movies on. I’d save shelf space, plus i’d finally have all the movies on blu-ray. But there’s still no box art posted for this thing. I don’t wanna pre-order it without knowing what it looks like.
It's not worth it. With the TOEI Remaster, it's a matter of time before FUNi strikes a deal with TOEI and then we'll finally have the movies remastered properly.

FUNi's Double Features are a mixed-bag and the Japanese audio is awful so there's hardly any reason to support this crappy remaster.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Man, i’d Really like to buy this, and get rid of the Funi steelbooks I have all the movies on. I’d save shelf space, plus i’d finally have all the movies on blu-ray. But there’s still no box art posted for this thing. I don’t wanna pre-order it without knowing what it looks like.
Manga UK posted some screenshots of this set on instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo9VfbslIuu ... y=manga_uk

I gotta say I'd be very tempted to get this if I hadn't just finished buying them all individually. Still it's great for anyone who didn't get them as they'll be saving a lot of money and shelf space.

I know there's always the chance of Toei's new master eventually getting released overseas, but at the rate things happen with this franchise that might not happen for several years. And personally I don't have a problem with the way the double feature Blu-rays look.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Manga UK posted some screenshots of this set on instagram.
Surprised actually, it doesn't look cheap and budgety but a quality packaging release. Too bad it's still the Double Features. The retailer Base has pre-orders opened for £69.99 on Blu-ray and £59.99 on DVD.

If the Blu-ray version was £59.99 that'd definitely be tempting for a lot of people and for a somewhat decent Christmas present.
RRP: £99.99
Base and their fake MSRP prices. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Manga UK posted some screenshots of this set on instagram.
Surprised actually, it doesn't look cheap and budgety but a quality packaging release.
MangaUK have gotten better with packaging. We got a holographic slipcover and the promo cards for Resurrection F and all the Super parts have had slipcovers. Not having discs stacked over one another is also a bonus for me. Obviously they are still an import company, but I do appreciate what they do and the fact they make Dragon Ball available to UK and Irish customers (which lets face it is a small customer base compared to the US or even Canada or Australia) at all.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Blu Rays have pretty much done away with region lock at this point right? Anyone in the U.S. have any MangaUk products that work on region 1 players? Just so I know before I get this
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Blu Rays have pretty much done away with region lock at this point right? Anyone in the U.S. have any MangaUk products that work on region 1 players? Just so I know before I get this
It's tough to say for sure. Funimation's Blu-rays for Super and TFC are region locked, so no not all Blu-rays are region free. I've just looked at the back of one of Manga UK's double features that I own and it only says Region B, but that still doesn't rule out it being other regions as sometimes not all are listed. I do have a region A player so I could go and test it and then update this post.

Update: You're in luck, my UK Double Features also work on my US Blu-ray player despite the back of the case only saying region B.