Should Boo be considered a genie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Should Boo be considered a genie?

Post by Desassina » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:33 am

RandomGuy, consider the fact that Kaioshin is still a Shin-jin whose name is Shin, the latter which translates back to Japanese as divine in Kaioshin (but has a different meaning through its kanji), when his race is that of a Core being, because the world that he belongs to is Kaishin-sei (World Core). Toriyama uses puns like that, and Majin Boo could translate back to genie and evil being, because the majins in Arabian folklore were evil. I wouldn't go for in-universe reasons like Majin Boo having expelled his evil to justify a creative decision.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 am

Buu seems to have a genie theme, so this isn't far-fetched. Mr.popo is also a genie and their distinct looks can be excused by saying that all genies are different but alike at the same time. Like all popos are genies but not all genies are popos.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:18 am

Desassina wrote:RandomGuy, consider the fact that Kaioshin is still a Shin-jin whose name is Shin, the latter which translates back to Japanese as divine in Kaioshin (but has a different meaning through its kanji), when his race is that of a Core being, because the world that he belongs to is Kaishin-sei (World Core). Toriyama uses puns like that, and Majin Boo could translate back to genie and evil being, because the majins in Arabian folklore were evil. I wouldn't go for in-universe reasons like Majin Boo having expelled his evil to justify a creative decision.
I mean that, from an out of universe point of view, the fact that good Boo is still called "Majin Boo" would be an indication that Toriyama didn't necessarily intend "Majin" to be evil/demonic, when the "magical being" interpretation fits much better.
Waluigiman wrote:Buu seems to have a genie theme, so this isn't far-fetched. Mr.popo is also a genie and their distinct looks can be excused by saying that all genies are different but alike at the same time. Like all popos are genies but not all genies are popos.
Popo is never said to be a genie, as far as I know. Nor is he given a title like "majin."
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:23 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Desassina wrote:RandomGuy, consider the fact that Kaioshin is still a Shin-jin whose name is Shin, the latter which translates back to Japanese as divine in Kaioshin (but has a different meaning through its kanji), when his race is that of a Core being, because the world that he belongs to is Kaishin-sei (World Core). Toriyama uses puns like that, and Majin Boo could translate back to genie and evil being, because the majins in Arabian folklore were evil. I wouldn't go for in-universe reasons like Majin Boo having expelled his evil to justify a creative decision.
I mean that, from an out of universe point of view, the fact that good Boo is still called "Majin Boo" would be an indication that Toriyama didn't necessarily intend "Majin" to be evil/demonic, when the "magical being" interpretation fits much better.
Waluigiman wrote:Buu seems to have a genie theme, so this isn't far-fetched. Mr.popo is also a genie and their distinct looks can be excused by saying that all genies are different but alike at the same time. Like all popos are genies but not all genies are popos.
Popo is never said to be a genie, as far as I know. Nor is he given a title like "majin."
Well he has to be something and he looks like a genie if I ever see one. Just take this a comment with no true impact as it is just my interpretation.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 am

I was reminded recently that the container that Spopovich and Yamu used to drain Gohan's energy was shaped similar to the oil lamp from Arabian Nights. I hadn't made that connection before.

I think I've come to the point where I would say that, yes, Majin Boo should be considered a Genie/Jinni/Djinn. However, I don't think that the "Majin" part of his name should be translated as "Djinn". I can understand why Viz chose to do this, but I think that it's a little too "on the nose", since "Majin" is such a broad term that encompasses a wide variety of beings beyond simply Djinn. And also because Toriyama included such a variety of magical elements to begin with (Cinderella, madoushi, Makai, majuu, abrakadabra, etc.) that I think "Majin" should be left alone. Although my mind could always change on the subject, who knows...

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Interestingly merchandise labels him as either "超サイヤ人 破壊王子ベジータ" which google translates to "Super Saiyan Destruction Prince Vegeta" or flat out "魔人ベジータ"
Weird. I'm still pretty sure it was still only first mentioned as a fan-term. I don't think he had figured back in the 90s. Maybe a guide-book mentiond it, tho. I didn't think of that before. Maybe fans got it from there? Or fans just got it rite by coincidence?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am

I can't believe I forgot this, but the apparently Arab Pintar at the tournament wears very similar clothes to Fat Buu's and looks a lot like a human version of him. Right down to his ponytail standing in for a head tentacle. Foreshadowing maybe?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.