What happened to Tarble?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Re: What happened to Tarble?

Post by DNA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:57 am

Exactly, that whole feature doesn't affect anything at all. To the point that even without being acknowledged or referenced, it could still be part of this continuity without creating inconsistencies. It's just sad since it is a fun little story.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 am

Lord Frieza wrote:He's official been retconned out of Dragon Ball Super since the line about him from the movie is not in the anime.
Many things in the movie are not in the anime and vice versa. It's not a retcon, let alone an 'official' one. He got a mention in BoG and wasn't mentioned in Super, that's all there is to it.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:10 am

Yes, we can't say he was retconned or struck out of canon, he just hasn't been mentioned. The best I can say is that it feels like he was brushed aside and they're trying to have him forgotten. Maybe he just isn't that popular, which still isn't a valid reason to strike him out of canon.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:14 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:He's official been retconned out of Dragon Ball Super since the line about him from the movie is not in the anime.
Many things in the movie are not in the anime and vice versa. It's not a retcon, let alone an 'official' one. He got a mention in BoG and wasn't mentioned in Super, that's all there is to it.
Edited:

He was featured heavily in most dragon ball material between the special to BoG, then nothing, all reference of him is removed and no future mention of him has been made in years despite the series havin ample opertunity to do so. Let’s not keep making light of the changes made to Super’s version of BoG since many of them not only contradict the movie.

If that’s not a full on retcon of a character out of the franchise I don’t know what is. I have yet to see any solid evidence against the point I and other have stated, what I do hear amounts to “But I want Tarble to be cannon”.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 am

Lord Frieza wrote:He was featured heavily in most dragon ball material between the special to BoG, then nothing,
I don't recall Tarble being heavily featured in anything to begin with. No to mention that a character being heavily featured or not has no bearing on continuity, including retroactive continuity.
Lord Frieza wrote:If that’s not a full on retcon of a character out of the franchise I don’t know what is.
It's simply a character not being featured. There are dozens of those in the franchise.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 am

From the debut of Tarble's OVA in 2008 until his mention in Movie 14 in 2013, Tarble had only appeared in Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2, 2010.

I don't know where "he was featured heavily" comes from.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 am

For all we know hes going to randomly turn up like bulma's sister

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:01 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:He was featured heavily in most dragon ball material between the special to BoG, then nothing,
I don't recall Tarble being heavily featured in anything to begin with. No to mention that a character being heavily featured or not has no bearing on continuity, including retroactive continuity.
Lord Frieza wrote:If that’s not a full on retcon of a character out of the franchise I don’t know what is.
It's simply a character not being featured. There are dozens of those in the franchise.
I think I caused a miss understanding here.

Let me explain, when I say heavily featured I mean the franchise a a whole. Toy, collectibles, cards, Heroes and Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2. His face poped up for a while as I recall.

For us westerners however yes he was a rarity. Only being in one game and mention in one movie.

Finally I get what your saying and it’s not like I think he should disappear. But I think there is a noticeable difference between not being talked about and the writers actively editing the scripted not to include a character.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 am

There’s also another issue I don’t think anyone’s mentioned. Time.

Tarble’s special took place two years after Goku beat Buu. The movie version of Battle of Gods likely takes place not long after. But Super’s timeline has Beerus awakening a mere 6 months post Buu defeat.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am

He might be in the upcoming movie...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:28 am

I think he just wasn't popular. It's an action series and he's not much of a fighter. Nor is he a mechanic/scientist like Bulma. Nor does he have a unique design. Tarble looks like Diet Vegeta or Vegeta Lite. Smaller, polite, less powerful, and without any unique skills/attacks. It makes sense he isn't pushed much.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Tarble turned out to be a mistake and they've "written" him off the franchise. If he was ONLY a half-brother of Vegeta (from a different mother to explain his physical weakness) or his cousin, I'd be ok with him around despite being thrown into the franchise from NOWHERE, but this was just a shtick nobody bought in and out of Japan.

Also, I was disappointed with Abo and Kado being "ranked with the Ginyu Force", they should've been their lesser rather than equals. I'd be fine if they'd specifically stated that they were "as strong as Recoome back in the day" or "stronger than Zarbon but somewhat inferior to the Ginyus". The Ginyu Force was established in all medias to be Frieza's strongest men.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 pm

It's probably cause tarble is retarded or something did you see the guy's wife she was like a smile face emoticon ... This is a joke that he was even mentioned

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Now we have Cabba.
I think the fact that they even bother to mention him in BOG Movie was a mistake. A lot of casuals may have wondered who they were talking about.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:23 pm

Tarble is in a great area, I honestly think its better to do this than kill these characters off or they are there one minute and never show up again like lunch and some other characters. Yamcha is also becoming a bit more scarce after the Yamcha manga died down. I think its good to write these characters off they don’t plan to use and bring them back when they are needed. Tarble could easily be mentioned as a descendent of Yamoshi or something without having him in the new film. They wrote him off screen to where they can write him back in anytime they want. I’m happy there is a least a chance of him returning and being useful one day, a chance some of our own main cast has yet to obtain. I think Buu would benifit more for being written off as well with Satan since we have the pilaf gang for gag now a days.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 am

DNA wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:Abo and Kado know him and are part of the army of Frieza.
for the same reason that they would think of "kakarot" being of lower class

I do not know .. I think tarble would make more sense if he were a big brother
Ah yes, I didn't really factor Abo and Kado into that equation. I dunno then.

I don't understand why Tarble being an older brother would make any difference.
the age difference seems too much if he was abandoned as a baby how remembers his brother and father? and because they would have time to form a closer relationship and know each other more and explain why they are close to cabba.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 am

Tai Lung wrote:the age difference seems too much if he was abandoned as a baby how remembers his brother and father? and because they would have time to form a closer relationship and know each other more and explain why they are close to cabba.
When was it ever said he was abandoned or a baby?

Also, Tarble appeared on Dokkan Battle, that's something recent, not that it counts for much since everyone appears on Dokkan and Heroes.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm

DNA wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:the age difference seems too much if he was abandoned as a baby how remembers his brother and father? and because they would have time to form a closer relationship and know each other more and explain why they are close to cabba.

Also, Tarble appeared on Dokkan Battle, that's something recent, not that it counts for much since everyone appears on Dokkan and Heroes.
he looks much younger than goku must at least be the same age

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
DNA wrote:

he looks much younger than goku must at least be the same age
Not really, he's just small. Every Saiyan in Universe 6 is also really small. We don't know their ages. Everyone keeps assuming Tarble's age based on the fact that he is smaller than Goku, Vegeta is also smaller than Goku, so is Kuririn.
We honestly can safely assume Tarble is older than Goku and that his size is due to Gure's planet gravity, since her race is also really tiny. We know that gravity affects a Saiyan's growth. Didn't Vegeta grow between the Saiyan arc and Buu arc even though he already was an adult? He looks taller nowadays.

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Nobody was interested in using the character after the 2008 special. So Tarble was then reincarnated as Cabba and the rest is history.
Never cared for the idea of Vegeta having additional family members anyway.