Why is Goten still a kid in Modern Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Why is Goten still a kid in Modern Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:54 pm

TOEI showed what Goten would be as a teenager in Dragon Ball GT but in Dragon Ball Super they regressed back to making him a kid again. I mean, why? Yes, he looks really cute and adorable but they shouldn't limit him to always being a child character.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Gohan eventually grew to being an adult.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why is Goten still a kid in Modern Dragon Ball?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:22 pm

The only in-universe explanation I can think of is that maybe Goten and Trunks are like Goku, in that they remain child-sized until at least 15 and then suddenly get a growth spurt somewhere within the subsequent three years. Future Trunks contradicts that, but you could say that's just more timeline shenanigans randomly changing things for no reason.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Until they finally get out of Majin Buu - End Of Z period, i dont see it happen :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Because the people running it are too afraid to move away from DB's classic image. They didn't even let Goku and Vegeta keep their new RF outfits.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:10 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:TOEI showed what Goten would be as a teenager in Dragon Ball GT
Goten is 22 in Dragon Ball GT.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:but in Dragon Ball Super they regressed back to making him a kid again. I mean, why?
Because people responsible for this thing is afraid of leaving the safe zone. Also, since Dragon Ball (mainly the main series) is all about money/merchandising, let's keep it in a way that is most common for everyone, making easier to sell.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Grimlock wrote:Goten is 22 in Dragon Ball GT.
Huh, color me surprised. I didn't know or think he'd be a 22 year old character because he looks similarly sized to Pre-Adolescent Gohan (aka "Teen Gohan").

Thanks for that.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Because Toei are terrified that if they age up Goten and Trunks, the series will fail. They're convinced that the success of the franchise hinges on them still looking like kids and expect the majority of fans to sit back and take it and that we're too stupid to notice.

It get's worse though, because Marron is an even more ridiculous case. She is supposed to be what, 9? Yet she still looks and acts like a 3 year old. There is no in-universe explanation for that, unless you want to do some serious mental gymnastics about #18 being a cyborg so her DNA is messed up from the Gero alterations, causing Marron to age slower.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 pm

His character&personality has to change drastically in the next Timeskip(should we even get one)
GT Fighter

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Toriyama or executives don't see the need to. They associate adult Goten and Trunks with the others turning into older people.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Goten is 22 in Dragon Ball GT.
Huh, color me surprised. I didn't know or think he'd be a 22 year old character because he looks similarly sized to Pre-Adolescent Gohan (aka "Teen Gohan").

Thanks for that.
Goten may very well have supposed to been a teenager in GT. The studio may have just ignored the official timeline/ages. Remember that Bra, who was likely supposed to have been a teenager in GT, was officially around nine or ten.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:37 pm

The same reasons that 14-year-old Trunks looks like he's 6 in the new movie. Laziness and merchandising.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Because DBS = Dragon Ball Safe

Goten's kid look is well known, popular and safe
The same goes for Trunks.

DBS never tried to change anything. They were too afraid.
They knew DBZ is the most popular and decided to stick with it instead of coming with something new and original and risking DBS ratings.
Entire DBS feels like another episode of Buu saga because of that.
I'm still surprised Videl is actually so different in both design and personality.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:17 pm

They are characters that are so inconsequential that it probably doesn't matter too much to the staff.(nor should it) Their niche is that they are silly little kids and until Bra and Pan grow up that will be their niche.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:30 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:They knew DBZ is the most popular and decided to stick with it instead of coming with something new and original and risking DBS ratings.
I'm trying to understand how they would risk the ratings making Goten and Trunks look older.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 pm

bulma is the age of 38, when they should have 42 or 43
for me it is obvious that there was a "retcon" with the 4 years for the battle of the gods
if only 2 years have passed, goten is only 9 years old
also has to see the animation style the current movie, seems that most looks younger

I like teen goten, but if we are sincere in the epilogue technically dedicated to having a life out of the fights and dragon ball gt did not give them a different focus, goten is just as lazy ..

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:41 am

SSJgogeto wrote:I'm trying to understand how they would risk the ratings making Goten and Trunks look older.
DB Super already had its issues so evolving characters wouldn't be much of a problem and that'd likely make some or even a lot happy.

I miss Teen Goten (or Adult Goten, officially) but he only appeared in one DB series. :(

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 am

No need to bring up GT Goten when EoZ Goten exists.
But I think it comes down to three main reasons:
1. Modern Dragon Ball attempts to have as little time pass as possible so that they can cram the current timeframe full of stories.
2. People (on average) don't really care much about Goten and Trunks, so no one (Toei officials etc.) asks Toriyama write something big for them (which would lead to redesigns before too long), so Goten and Trunks don't get to do anything, which causes people to care less about them. Vicious cycle.
3. Goten and Trunks are an attempt to let kids self-insert. They might be afraid to lose that.
Big Boss wrote:It gets worse though, because Marron is an even more ridiculous case. She is supposed to be what, 9? Yet she still looks and acts like a 3 year old. There is no in-universe explanation for that, unless you want to do some serious mental gymnastics about #18 being a cyborg so her DNA is messed up from the Gero alterations, causing Marron to age slower.
There's no good in-universe excuse on this one, no. Is Marron just going to suddenly get a mental "growth spurt"? That's kinda hard to believe. (In regards to her looks, you can hide behind her going through puberty and say that she switches from looking like Krillin to looking like 18. EoZ Marron is 13 years old, after all. It's not a very satisfying explanation, though.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:46 am

I don't mind Goten being a kid but I do mind him never growing up, plus it looks like he shrank in Super lol
In the logic he should be a teenager in Super and Pan should be the new awesome kid for the younger audience lol

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Well, when Toei tried to do new things, changing the look of all the characters with a large time skip, it didn't do too well. That was GT. I know it is a bit of a cop out, but I am sure that since GT didn't do well by going in a very different direction compared to the original series--from character designs to music and colour palette being vastly different--the Super creative and executive team probably didn't want to chance a repeat of GT. That's my guess at least and if it is true, going safe worked better for them. Super is vastly more popular than GT ever was.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Because the almighty Yen has a significant bearing on the direction of Dragon Ball these days and Gotenks moves merch more than Teen Goten would.