Does anyone else prefer the way that Kai handled Gohan’s SSJ2 transformation?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Does anyone else prefer the way that Kai handled Gohan’s SSJ2 transformation?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 pm

I posted this over on the unpopular opinions thread, but given the renewed popularity of Gohan going SSJ2 for the first time (thanks in no small part to a certain parody series), I figured I might as well make a separate thread in the subject.

Now obviously, Gohan going SSJ2 was a very big moment for the series, and there’s no doubt that a big reason why the scene resonated with so many people was because of the use of the song Spirit vs. Spirit in the Japanese version. For me personally, though, while it’s a nice song, I kind of prefer the (Kikuchi) music that was used in Kai for the scene (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9to4tbQ11LU). For as much flack as the use of the Kikuchi soundtrack in Kai receives, I actually think that it works for this particular scene. The music sounds a lot more ominous than what was used in the original version, which I think fits the moment pretty well.

What does everyone else think?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Does anyone else prefer the way that Kai handled Gohan’s SSJ2 transformation?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:50 pm

The Kikuchi BGM used on the Gohan SSJ2 scene was used a lot of times and that ruined the special moment, that's the one time they should have played a unique song. Or at least one that wasn't overused.

I love the Z music but TOEI really fucked it up on Kai.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Does anyone else prefer the way that Kai handled Gohan’s SSJ2 transformation?

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:45 am

Say what you want about Team Faulconer, but one advantage their score had over the Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores (and Kikuchi Kai of course) was that AFAIK it composed a theme specifically for Goku's first SSJ transformation.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:29 am

I like Yamamoto’s score for the scene quite a lot, but it doesn’t top the original anime’s music. Kikuchi Kai’s music for the transformation just didn’t land at all.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:06 am

OhHiRenan wrote:I like Yamamoto’s score for the scene quite a lot, but it doesn’t top the original anime’s music. Kikuchi Kai’s music for the transformation just didn’t land at all.
The only Kai episodes that had a somewhat decent Z BGM placement were the final few Kai episodes, the rest was pretty much random without any care or thought to it. Shame on TOEI for rushing it so badly.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:35 am

I really like the unique Yamamoto track that played in the original broadcast. It managed to hit that sweet spot between inspiring and terrifying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9eDNZJEZU

Sadly, we'll never see it again.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:22 am

Danfun64 wrote:Say what you want about Team Faulconer, but one advantage their score had over the Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores (and Kikuchi Kai of course) was that AFAIK it composed a theme specifically for Goku's first SSJ transformation.
The Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores also had themes composed specifically for that scene that were never played at any other point in the series, before or after. Here is Kikuchi Z's, and here is Yamamoto Kai's.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:02 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Say what you want about Team Faulconer, but one advantage their score had over the Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores (and Kikuchi Kai of course) was that AFAIK it composed a theme specifically for Goku's first SSJ transformation.
The Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores also had themes composed specifically for that scene.
They had unique tracks for the Gohan SSJ2 transformation, yes. However, the tunes used for Goku's SSJ transformation were used several times in the series before, with the Kikuchi track being from the first movie. Inversely, I don't think Gohan's SSJ2 track in Faulconer was unique, but since I've never seen the DBZ dub in its entirety, I'm not sure about that.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:41 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
The Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores also had themes composed specifically for that scene that were never played at any other point in the series, before or after. Here is Kikuchi Z's, and here is Yamamoto Kai's.
I think you mean Yamamoto's Z and Yamamoto's Kai, considering he did Unmei no Hi. :)
Danfun64 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
The Kikuchi Z and Yamamoto Kai scores also had themes composed specifically for that scene.
They had unique tracks for the Gohan SSJ2 transformation, yes. However, the tunes used for Goku's SSJ transformation were used several times in the series before, with the Kikuchi track being from the first movie. Inversely, I don't think Gohan's SSJ2 track in Faulconer was unique, but since I've never seen the DBZ dub in its entirety, I'm not sure about that.
It was used a few times in the Buu arc when Gohan was training with the Z Sword and the "Fight you? No I wanna kill you" scene, though it was composed specifically for SSj2 Gohan.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Danfun64 wrote:They had unique tracks for the Gohan SSJ2 transformation, yes. However, the tunes used for Goku's SSJ transformation were used several times in the series before, with the Kikuchi track being from the first movie. Inversely, I don't think Gohan's SSJ2 track in Faulconer was unique, but since I've never seen the DBZ dub in its entirety, I'm not sure about that.
It wasn't unique; the music they used was the Techno part of the "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" theme. That said, it did work somewhat to it's advantage, I feel. Spirit vs. Spirit may be inspiring, but it doesn't exactly match up with the bloodthirsty sadist Gohan turns into once he transforms...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 am

Danfun64 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Ohhh, my mistake. I misread what you said and thought you were referring to Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, not Goku's SSJ. My apologies.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere