Do you still think Gohan should've been the main character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you still think Gohan should've been the main character?

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 am

Green_Goblin wrote:I believe that Gohan is much more logical, realistic and humane character than Goku and that I and many others find easier to be affiliated with/attached to than just a middle-aged guy who act like a 5 years old and who only cares about "fighting strong guys" or than his grumpy and no-fun counter-part, Vegeta. IF they'll do this switch anytime after Goku will leave to train Uub, I'd be glad.
But that's what the show is about. It's about a character who loves a fight. And I fail to see how Gohan is more logical.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:55 am

ABED wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:I believe that Gohan is much more logical, realistic and humane character than Goku and that I and many others find easier to be affiliated with/attached to than just a middle-aged guy who act like a 5 years old and who only cares about "fighting strong guys" or than his grumpy and no-fun counter-part, Vegeta. IF they'll do this switch anytime after Goku will leave to train Uub, I'd be glad.
But that's what the show is about. It's about a character who loves a fight. And I fail to see how Gohan is more logical.
Strategy, and picking on an enemy's weakness faster than Goku who's not the fastest thinker.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:
Strategy, and picking on an enemy's weakness faster than Goku who's not the fastest thinker.
Gohan is not more strategic/logical in a fight than Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta and Future Trunks at all. None of Gohan's fights ever show him winning with smart tactics, he only ever wins (if at all) with will-power or a rage boost.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am

ricky84 wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:But that's what the show is about. It's about a character who loves a fight. And I fail to see how Gohan is more logical.
Gohan is not more strategic/logical in a fight than Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta and Future Trunks at all. None of Gohan's fights ever show him winning with smart tactics, he only ever wins (if at all) with will-power or a rage boost.
LMAO! Botamo, Universe 6 Namekians, Koichiarator and Dyspo.
Last edited by Green_Goblin on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am

ABED wrote:
Exactly. You can't have a unwilling warrior like Gohan be a protagonist in series that's all about fighting.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:07 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: Strategy, and picking on an enemy's weakness faster than Goku who's not the fastest thinker.
LMAO! Dyspo.
The strategies in that fight all came from Freeza lol. It was his idea to surround them with Death Beams to restrict Dyspo's movements, not Gohan's.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 am

ricky84 wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
LMAO! Botamo, Universe 6 Namekians, Koichiarator and Dyspo.
The strategies in that fight all came from Freeza lol. It was his idea to surround them with Death Beams to restrict Dyspo's movements, not Gohan's.
Try to re-read my comment. And Gohan was the one who had the idea of caging Dyspo, not Frieza. In case you need proof.
Last edited by Green_Goblin on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am

What I find odd is if you are this deep into a series, and the protagonist (in this case, Goku) bothers you, how do you get that far? It's like watching Breaking Bad and being really bothered by Walter White.

As for strategy, I can't speak to the fight in question, but Gohan never struck me as a great strategist. Goku however has been shown over and over to be very quick on his feet.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 am

ABED wrote:What I find odd is if you are this deep into a series, and the protagonist (in this case, Goku) bothers you, how do you get that far? It's like watching Breaking Bad and being really bothered by Walter White.

As for strategy, I can't speak to the fight in question, but Gohan never struck me as a great strategist. Goku however has been shown over and over to be very quick on his feet.
Simply, I like the other characters more. It's like asking a Vegeta fan: "Geez why do you keep watching this show when all it does is flip your favorite character off in favor of the protagonist?". Or asking a Venom fan: "Why do you watch Spider-Man shows or read the comics when it's clear your favorite character will be doomed in the end?".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:What I find odd is if you are this deep into a series, and the protagonist (in this case, Goku) bothers you, how do you get that far? It's like watching Breaking Bad and being really bothered by Walter White.

Simply, I like the other characters more. It's like asking a Vegeta fan: "Geez why do you keep watching this show when all it does is flip your favorite character off in favor of the protagonist?". Or asking a Venom fan: "Why do you watch Spider-Man shows or read the comics when it's clear your favorite character will be doomed in the end?".
Neither Vegeta nor Venom are the main character. Both of them are antagonists for the most part. Vegeta doesn't even come into the story until 1/3 of the way through the run of the story. You know Venom won't ultimately win, and Vegeta won't overtake the hero.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:20 am

ABED wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:

Neither Vegeta nor Venom are the main character. Both of them are antagonists for the most part. Vegeta doesn't even come into the story until 1/3 of the way through the run of the story.
Vegeta is an anti-hero (not an "antagonist") ever since the Frieza Saga had ended and he was revived.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am

But not the CENTRAL hero. His journey is very different from Goku's. Ultimately, Vegeta's journey isn't about becoming the best, it's about him overcoming his insecurities.

And while he's not the outright villain, I would still consider Vegeta an antagonist. Also, I wrote "for the most part".
Last edited by ABED on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:24 am

ABED wrote:But not the CENTRAL hero. His journey is very different from Goku's. Ultimately, Vegeta's journey isn't about becoming the best, it's about him overcoming his insecurities.
This is not Early DB Yamcha who had problems with the ladies, it's Vegeta who used to murder beings since he was a toddler. He have no insecurities, he's always cocky.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:25 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:But not the CENTRAL hero. His journey is very different from Goku's. Ultimately, Vegeta's journey isn't about becoming the best, it's about him overcoming his insecurities.
This is not Early DB Yamcha who had problems with the ladies, it's Vegeta who used to murder beings since he was a toddler. He have no insecurities, he's always cocky.
Cockiness comes from insecurities. He doesn't want to be the best he can be. He wants to be better than Goku. He wants to be the best, and more importantly, he wants everyone (mostly Goku) to know it.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 am

ABED wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Cockiness comes from insecurities.
Nope, cockiness comes from arrogance and the core belief you can not be outclassed by the people who surround you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:30 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: This is not Early DB Yamcha who had problems with the ladies, it's Vegeta who used to murder beings since he was a toddler. He have no insecurities, he's always cocky.
Cockiness comes from insecurities.
Nope, cockiness comes from arrogance and the core belief you can not be outclassed by the people who surround you.
That's insecurity. Arrogance stems from insecurity. Arrogance and cockiness are the same thing. They are unearned feelings of self esteem and pride.

To bring this back to Gohan, I understand another character than the main character being the favorite, but that doesn't make them right to be the main character, especially if it would change the story into something else entirely.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 am

ABED wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:Cockiness comes from insecurities.
That's insecurity. Arrogance stems from insecurity. Arrogance and cockiness are the same thing. They are unearned feelings of self esteem and pride.

To bring this back to Gohan, I understand another character than the main character being the favorite, but that doesn't make them right to be the main character, especially if it would change the story into something else entirely.
Let me phrase it clearer: Vegeta is a PRINCE, he was always spoiled in his race's own sick ways (Nappa standing in his shadow while genociding various of random races they invaded as a child, and later Raditz joined to do the very same as well), even the most top being in his childhood: Frieza had seemed to give him favorable treatment (when he asked Zarbon to give him an assaingment as he wanted to in "Bardock: Father of Goku" despite entering his room without premission) than he showed towards his other elites (the likes of Guldo in the flashback), he never had any insecurities other than being proven nothing in comparison to Final Form Frieza on Namek (his crying and hopeless punching bag scenes) and when he was surpassed by even his time traveling son at achieving Super Saiyan. He's always rising back to stand on his feet and advances greatly.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:24 pm

ABED wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
ABED wrote:Cockiness comes from insecurities.

That's pure, armchair pseudo-psychology that's been debunked by science several times. Self-esteem is genetic/innate, irrelevant to outside factors and values. Insecure people don't act cocky and arrogant, they are overtly humble, self-depreciating people who always doubt themselves like Gohan, Yamcha, Supreme Kai Shin, Krillin and Kale.

Vegeta on the other hand is almost never seen doubting himself internally. And in the rare times he has (like in the 1st Broly film) he quickly gets over it.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm

To get this back on track and away from this Vegeta discourse, Dragon Ball as a series is designed with Goku in mind as the lead. He’s the only character who ties into all the series’ core theme— There’s always someone stronger, bettering yourself for the sake of bettering yourself, and passing the torch to/embracing the next generation— All these ideas are reflected in Goku’s character in major ways.

Son Goku IS Dragon Ball.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:36 pm

OhHiRenan is correct, though I don't know about the next generation taking over was a theme of DB as a whole. Perhaps when Goku's generation took over.