Why didn't Cell get his own movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why didn't Cell get his own movie?

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am

Apslup wrote:He doesn't really need a movie, I feel that his story arc was wrapped up quite nicely in the Cell Saga, along with the fact that there are other characters who are more popular than Cell who will bring in more money for Toei/Toriyama like Broly and Freeza.
mahakaishin1991 wrote: Cell Jrs miss their Dad?
The Cell Jrs are all dead lol. Cell has no friends.
Someone needs to look at the manga

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am

It might also be because with Cell there isn't as much to work with as opposed to Freeza.

In terms of personality, there isn't a whole lot that differentiates him from Freeza (he's basically Freeza without the faux politeness that made Freeza interesting), his backstory isn't as interesting as Freeza's (he does have ties to an old enemy from early in the series, but it's an enemy that no one really cares about) so there isn't much potential for new material there, and he doesn't have any original techniques of his own due to his nature (the android barrier is the closest, but #17 did that first) so he doesn't stand out much on that front either.

All Cell really has going for him is a cool design and Norio Wakamoto's awesome voice, and those are both external elements (with the latter being limited to the anime). As a character, Cell is kind of generic.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Probably because they don't know what to do with him without being a repeat of his story or being too similar to the revival of Frieza.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Cell is notably less popular in Japan than he is in the West (which is why he get little attention in things like DB Heroes compared to say, Freeza, Broly, the Time Breakers and even Cooler).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:57 am

I don't think Cell will ever be return maybe in one arc where the arc villain uses him as a pawn.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Cell is cool as a concept but lame as an actual character. Also who really cares that much about cell compared to freeza or any other villain?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Nokra wrote:Cell is cool as a concept but lame as an actual character. Also who really cares that much about cell compared to freeza or any other villain?
Most western fans do. Because Funimation had turned Freeza into a chain smoking effiminate transvestite with homosexual undertones and Buu’s arc wasn’t really well recieved and given how uber serious Funi DBZ took itself Buu sort of clashed with that tone. Cell just sort of fit into American DBZ’s tone without suffering from bad dirextion

I realized Funi had done right by Freeza NOW but the damage had been done.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Nokra wrote:Also who really cares that much about cell compared to freeza or any other villain?
You should really drop this "who cares?". You don't know every single person in the world and what they like.

As for your question: me. I care and prefer Cell more than Freeza. Cell has more to offer and that can be expanded than Freeza can ever bring to the table.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Nokra wrote:Also who really cares that much about cell compared to freeza or any other villain?
You should really drop this "who cares?". You don't know every single person in the world and what they like.

As for your question: me. I care and prefer Cell more than Freeza. Cell has more to offer and that can be expanded than Freeza can ever bring to the table.
Like what?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm

I like Cell but you shouldn't be surprised that Freeza gets more attention than him. Freeza is by far the most iconic DB villain. He embodies what it means to be a villain in this franchise and if anybody should be brought back it is him. And that's why he was brought back obviously.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

PFM18 wrote:I like Cell but you shouldn't be surprised that Freeza gets more attention than him. Freeza is by far the most iconic DB villain. He embodies what it means to be a villain in this franchise and if anybody should be brought back it is him. And that's why he was brought back obviously.
I personally hope they eventually bring zamasu/goku black back. I would pay to see a movie about them in an instant.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Like what?
Since he has Saiyans cells, we could see all the development and possible differences of Saiyans forms in his different type of body. How do they work in him, would Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan change the color of his body? What kind of new potential could Cell achieve via Saiyans cells?

Since he has Freeza cells, we could see the development of Cell creating forms. Either to get stronger or to limit his power if he gets too strong. Can Cell choose the color of his "evolution form" too? Could Cell have possibilities in achieving/discovering a form never known by Freeza race? How far could Cell go via Freeza cells?

Since he has Piccolo cells, we could see the development of Cell achieving the Red-Eyed Form (assuming Piccolo would get it eventually...). He could also bring a whole new concept to Namekuseijins for Piccolo to learn too.

And all of those are just basing on things already seen/established, they could just make Cell coming up with something entirely new. He is naturally stronger than Freeza and therefore would have been a better choice for Universe Survival saga. If only he was the one to train for four months... All of the things are mentioned are far more interesting than Freeza has brought to the table. There are more stuff that can be explored through him, different ideas and such.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Why didn't Boo get his own movie? Why didn't Tao Pai Pai? Why didn't Piccolo Daimao? Why are we treating Cell as if he's the exception to the rule and not the norm? The only main villain who got his own dedicated movie was Freeza, and that's because of his sheer popularity.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:Why didn't Boo get his own movie? Why didn't Tao Pai Pai? Why didn't Piccolo Daimao? Why are we treating Cell as if he's the exception to the rule and not the norm? The only main villain who got his own dedicated movie was Freeza, and that's because of his sheer popularity.
All of those characters really are limited to having cameo appearances in filler at the very most and that is the way it should be. Freeza being brought back shouldn't open the flood gates to make a movie about every big villain

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm

He's more connected to Dr Gero and the Androids rather to the Saiyans, who are the stars of this saga.

That said, a film/saga where he returns to face off with the Androids would be cool. There are some family issues to sort out there.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:Like what?
Since he has Saiyans cells, we could see all the development and possible differences of Saiyans forms in his different type of body. How do they work in him, would Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan change the color of his body? What kind of new potential could Cell achieve via Saiyans cells?

Since he has Freeza cells, we could see the development of Cell creating forms. Either to get stronger or to limit his power if he gets too strong. Can Cell choose the color of his "evolution form" too? Could Cell have possibilities in achieving/discovering a form never known by Freeza race? How far could Cell go via Freeza cells?

Since he has Piccolo cells, we could see the development of Cell achieving the Red-Eyed Form (assuming Piccolo would get it eventually...). He could also bring a whole new concept to Namekuseijins for Piccolo to learn too.

And all of those are just basing on things already seen/established, they could just make Cell coming up with something entirely new. He is naturally stronger than Freeza and therefore would have been a better choice for Universe Survival saga. If only he was the one to train for four months... All of the things are mentioned are far more interesting than Freeza has brought to the table. There are more stuff that can be explored through him, different ideas and such.
Stronger than Frieza? Uh Dude Cell hasn't train in hell and doesn't have god ki Frieza is now stronger than cell. Also those namkien forms are video game exclusive.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:00 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Why didn't Boo get his own movie? Why didn't Tao Pai Pai? Why didn't Piccolo Daimao? Why are we treating Cell as if he's the exception to the rule and not the norm? The only main villain who got his own dedicated movie was Freeza, and that's because of his sheer popularity.
All of those characters really are limited to having cameo appearances in filler at the very most and that is the way it should be. Freeza being brought back shouldn't open the flood gates to make a movie about every big villain
What about Broly?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
What about Broly?
Broly was a shitty character and needed another chance because the character has a ton of potential that was wasted in the first pass without Toriyama.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Stronger than Frieza? Uh Dude Cell hasn't train in hell and doesn't have god ki Frieza is now stronger than cell.
Yes. First Form Cell was stronger than Final Form Freeza. So he's stronger by default. We don't know what Cell has being doing in Hell. Freeza also doesn't have God Ki, but he was allowed to train, that is why Freeza (from these days) is stronger than Cell (from old days. My comparison was Cell from old days and Freeza from old days, in case it wasn't clear enough...). But let's give a chance for Cell to train too.
Toxin45 wrote:Also those namkien forms are video game exclusive.
More specifically, it debut in Dragon Ball Online, the sequel to the manga.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:Stronger than Frieza? Uh Dude Cell hasn't train in hell and doesn't have god ki Frieza is now stronger than cell.
Yes. First Form Cell was stronger than Final Form Freeza. So he's stronger by default. We don't know what Cell has being doing in Hell. Freeza also doesn't have God Ki, but he was allowed to train, that is why Freeza (from these days) is stronger than Cell (from old days. My comparison was Cell from old days and Freeza from old days, in case it wasn't clear enough...). But let's give a chance for Cell to train too.
Toxin45 wrote:Also those namkien forms are video game exclusive.
More specifically, it debut in Dragon Ball Online, the sequel to the manga.
Dragon ball online got retcon dude. Also I think a theroy that cell didn't show up in hell was probably because he got reincarnated as a human.