Who is the best designed villain in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Re: Who is the best designed villain in the franchise?

Post by kudo6000 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Cetra wrote:https://www.deviantart.com/cetra1/art/G ... -752410895

This "guy". White hair, bangs. Black/grey coat, black shirt and pants. The villainous, elegant eyes. A god.
That's some good art. Ever thought of doing some digital if you haven't already?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 pm

1. Goku Black
2. Cooler in his final form
3. Janemba
4. Perfect Cell
5. Buuhan
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Piccolo and Vegeta. They're iconic and perfectly communicate their personalities. Freeza's fourth and Cell's first forms are memorable, but they and and Buu tend to be overshadowed by their transformation aspect. People only really remember Freeza's first and last forms, Cell's second form is ugly and his third is basically just derivative of Freeza's final.

As for everyone else...well, the classic villains are okay but are a little subdued and simplistic for my tastes. They're fine, but evident of the early era's looseness. Tao stands out, Blue doesn't after he loses the nazi getup, Red and Black are okay but ultimately accomplish little.

The GT villains are all really poor. They tend to have giant chins with tiny slanted eyes, kinda nonsensical outfits or hairstyles and awful color design. Nakatsuru is a good artist/animator and his adaptation of Toriyama's designs was certainly better than how Yamamuro progressed, but his original ones all kind of look like the bulky second-in-commands for real, more interesting villains that never show up, adorned with outfit or bodily design that tries really hard to look cooler than it is. I respect that Toriyama is willing to make characters look silly, even an arc villain like Buu, and it goes to show how much thought he actually does put into his aesthetic, even if we make fun of his storytelling skills.

Super's only real villain is Zamasu/Black, and while I dig both their designs and their fusion, they're both derivative of Goku and the Kais themselves, and that loses them some points even if they're not butt-ugly like GT. If you consider the Tournament participants villains, then...well, the ones Toriyama designed are certainly evident of him, even if I don't find Botamo or Magetta very pleasant to look at. Hit is cool, but beyond him into the ToP things get so diverse and out-there I can't say that there's a general good or bad to the design choices. I'll say Universe 10's team looks terrible, as do most of U3 and 4, and every U9 member who isn't a furry. Jiren is bland, as many have stated previously, but I appreciate the tournaments' existence solely for a lot of these dudes, they bring a lot of diversity in what a Dragon Ball Universe character can look like in a sea of Saiyan fan OCs.

Most of the movies have designs that are basically "like X character but change it a little". Slug is Piccolo, Tullece is Goku, Cooler is Frieza, Android 13 is a car crash Janemba is Buu, Hildegarn is sort-of Cell. Points to Bojack (lowercase j the pirate, not uppercase J the Horse) for being striking and unique without the horrible color scheme of #13, and Broly for having a Super Saiyan form demonstrably different from what we were used to at the time (even if such forms came from Toriyama later anyway and Broly himelf was run into the ground in future installments).

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 am

No one is going to say Beerus?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:42 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:No one is going to say Beerus?
Might be getting overlooked since there's a whole "he's not a villain!" narrative around him.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:36 am

Broly in Movie 10 when he's consistently on-model is a sight to behold.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Vegeta

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Vegeta
Saiyan Saga or Majin?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Majin Buu "mic drop"

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm

1. Super Janemba
2. Final Form Cooler
3. Beerus
4. Fused Zamasu (Corrupted)
5. Hatchiyack

Super Janemba will most likely never be topped for me in terms of villain design. His attacks, sick poses and sleek design have yet to be rivaled in the series in terms of the cool factor.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Chichi :? :? :?

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Fu also has a nice design.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Imperfect Cell. What I like about his design is how scary it looks and cool at the same time.
    Honorable mention would be Final Form Frieza, Perfect Cell, Final Form Cooler and Goku Black.

zarmack
    Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 pm

1. Perfect Cell
    2. Merged Zamasu (with halo)
    3. 5th form Cooler
    4. LSSJ Broly
    5. Super Janemba
    6. Final form Freeza
    7. Imperfect Cell
    8. Base Cumber
    9. Super Towa
    10. Majin Vegeta

Kuwabara
    Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Either Perfect Cell or Fifth Form Cooler.
    This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Kamiccolo9
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am

I always like fat Janemba. The super firm always seemed to generically demonish to me.
    Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
    Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
    Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
    Malik_DBNA wrote:
    Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
    "Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bebi Hatchiyack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:16 am

For me and I'll be a bit biased on this is as follow:

01 - Bebi Hatchiyack
    02 - Majin Ozotto
    03 - Ultra Pinich
    04 - Kanba
    05 - Gattai Zamasu
    06 - Golden Cooler
    07 - Janemba
    08 - Super Perfect Cell
    09 - (Super) Broly
    10 - Evil Android 21
    11 - Golden Frieza
    12 - Super Ī Shinron
    13 - Final Form Mira
    14 - Fu
    15 - Bojack

Special mention to Shroom, Demigra, Cardinal Mutchy Mutchy, Super Majin Buuhan, Dr Uiro, Super Android 13, Slug and Garlic Jr.
    Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Spider-Man
    Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: 13 - Final Form Mira
    Final Form Mira looks pretty cool really dissapointed that he isn't playable in Xenoverse 2.
      The Trio of Danger also had a cool design with Basil being my favorite.

ratbomb

Post by ratbomb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Frieza's final form easily, he has such a nice, sleek design which is small yet very intimidating. And I love how he goes from these big menacing forms to this small but incredibly powerful dude that wrecks shit.

Ssjcell
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I always thought dabura had a great design that was intimidating considering the fact that he looked like Western depictions of the devil