Who is the best designed villain in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Who is the best designed villain in the franchise?

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

This is not a debate over the best written/developed villain (unless its relevant to their looks). This is merely a discussion on who had the best visual appearance.

My vote goes to LSSJ Broly as the best, followed by (Super) Perfect Cell, Merged Zamasu (halo) and Final Form Freeza as the top 4. Nearly everything about their designs is aesthetically perfect for their characters and showcases Toriyama at his best.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by ricky84 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Re: Who is the best designed villain in the franchise?

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm

1.Baby Vegeta(Base Form)

2.Super 17

3.Omega Shenron

4.Janemba

5.Goku Black SSR
GT Fighter

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:49 pm

In terms of appearance I like Mercenary Tao. The man has style.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:10 pm

I would also give honorable mentions to Super Janemba (very sleek and well crafted), Majin Vegeta (the coolest Vegeta has ever looked), Evil A21(both her human and her Majin form before she absorbed Cell), Syn/Omega Shenron (the only great visual design for a GT Villain), Towa (both her base and Super forms, I don't like her darkness form), Base Cumber and SSJRose Goku Black
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:19 pm

I liked Pure Boo and Gotenks Boo myself. Their colors go well with the Arabian theme of even my avatar in case you haven't noticed ;) Majin Boo seems to have been designed like a tea pot, complete with the steam holes and its longer end, from which genies came when it was a lamp and the magic was cast. The clothing is spot on as well.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:14 pm

I like Fourth Form Frieza. What I like about his design is the simplicity and size; it adds to that feeling of horror because it makes his immense power feels ultra-condensed and concentrated, which helps make him more scary. It's like his pure power concentrated for the sole purpose of destroying you with one strike.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Not Cell-X :mrgreen:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Zamasu, both normal Zamasu and Fused Zamasu. His basic design, the standard look of any kai in Dragon Ball, is empowered by the villainy of the character, which gives him an aura of mystery and awesomeness. When you first look at Zamasu, you see a gentle god, a young kai with a benevolent smile on his face. That appearance certainly fooled Goku and the others, and Zamasu knew it. He knew how to brilliantly take advantage of his looks and charms (don't forget that he was also very polite and well-educated). Because he was a kai, no one expected him to go rogue and become one of the multiverse's greatest and most terrible threats. Not even the old and wise Gowasu did. He is elegant, imposing, awe-inspiring, fair and beautiful. He literally has no flaw. Fused Zamasu further highlights this by creating a mastodontic halo that merely reinforces the idea of his beauty being like a hot sun of justice that scorches all lowly heathens. Whereas villains in fiction are usually ugly alien monsters, just look at Frieza, Cell and Buu.

That's until he ordered the divine Light of Justice to strike him. Then, the mortal half of his godly body started to deteroriate and wither away, as if cursed. This artistic choice was superb, because it was meant to represent the gradual descent into madness of Zamasu himself. His egoism, his arrogance, his hatred, these emotions were slowly destroying the last bit of sanity in Zamasu, until in the end there was nothing left but an empty husk, a monster, a beast. Just like the filthy babarians, Zamasu, once a noble and respectable young kai, had devolved into a rabid animal, and this was reflected in how his once splendid body had turned into an ugly and disfigured form. Was that what Zamasu wanted? To be stained by that flawed body forever? Was it worth it?

This is what I love the most about Zamasu, perhaps. There are many things that I adore about him, actually. But I certainly appreciate how Zamasu's stunning character development was linked very closely to his design, and you could see how his body reflected his mental state.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:05 pm

• Janemba.
• Goku Black.
• Baby Vegeta/Baby Trunks (second form).
• Mira, Towa (and Fu, if you already consider him a villain).
• Dark Masked King.
• Merged Zamasu.
• Xeno Six-Star Dragon.

Hopefully I did not forget anymore.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:15 pm

1:Broly
2:Cell
3:Coola
4:Super Buu(Gohan absorbed)
5:Janemba
6:Frieza

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm

100% power Freeza. Everything about him represents the best of what DB is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Freeza in his final form is probably the best, followed closely by Imperfect Cell. Other really good or noteworthy ones to me are Omega, Baby, Piccolo (Jr).

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:23 pm

The winner is...

Baby Vegeta

Not only the best design but Baby is also best villain overall in my opinion (which also comes from his design since i pay much attention to it)
Baby alone was great designed but his fusion with Vegeta is where he really shines.
Every next form made him look more like himself and less like Vegeta. And his most icon form doesn't even look like Vegeta.
So it's not the lazy case like Turles or Goku Black who where just fanservice Goku clones. He was...original. That's what i appreciate the most.

Other great designs?
-Janemba
-King Piccolo (young)
-Cooler
-Super Buu
-Oceanus Shenron
-Broly (base/SSJ)
-Towa
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:28 pm

I'd like to point out that most characters in the franchise look great when drawn in anime Buu arc/ Yuya Takahashi style.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:37 pm

It's a five way tie between Final Form Cooler, Imperfect Cell, Janemba, Perfect Cell and Final Form Freeza.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:57 pm

https://www.deviantart.com/cetra1/art/G ... -752410895

This "guy". White hair, bangs. Black/grey coat, black shirt and pants. The villainous, elegant eyes. A god.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I really love Pure Evil Buu's design.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Goku Black is a cool, unique spin on a preexisting design, but I'd say final form Freeza or Kid Boo take the cake. Perfect Cell is good too.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:10 pm

I forgot about Cooler. His 4th and 5th form designs are great too.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Janemba, for me. Whatever his defects in character, the actual design is gorgeous.