Why did some people call Vegeta, "Bejita" in the early 2000's?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why did some people call Vegeta, "Bejita" in the early 2000's?

Post by precita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Back 20 or so years ago, I always used to see a bunch of "self-claimed Japanese purist" fans in the early 2000's say, "My favorite character is Bejita." When people ask why they spelled it like that, they would respond, "Because Bejita is his true name and it's the name I grew up watching and using. He is Bejita to me."

You don't see it too much anymore, but I used to see Bejita used all the time on ancient forums from like 1999-2002 or so especially. Back in the time a lot of the fanbase was very young and and some were teenagers for the first time. I was like 13 years old back then, so what did I know growing up with the FUNI dub on Cartoon Network where Tien said his arm will grow back and Vegeta would send people on a one-way bus stop to the next dimension.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why did some people call Vegeta, "Bejita" in the early 2000's?

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Never used Bejita. I think I spelled Vegetto as Vejitto for a while. Bra I know I called Bura for a period. Goku's wife's been Chichi and Chi-Chi. His childhood pal's been Krillin and Kuririn. I had a short Blooma phase several years back because other Kanzenshuu members made it a fad at the time and I liked the fad. I'm back to calling her Bulma though.

As far as I remember spelling standards for character names were looser back then in the early 2000's. I think people stuck to whichever ones they liked the looks of best or had an attachment to for whatever reason. That stuff never bothered me and I never saw anybody make much about who spelled which name which way. It's probably why I'm more accommodating to different spellings nowadays. The vast majority of spellings I use are mainstream ones, but if I see someone spell it differently that's fine imo. I'm not gonna call them out on it. I'm not an official authority I'm just another fan on the internet.

That said I understand the importance of having a set standard of spellings when it comes to places like Kanzenshuu where you need to use official spellings.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 pm

To the main topic, isn't it because Vegeta's name is "Bejita" when it is in the Hepburn romanization of Japanese?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:Never used Bejita. I think I spelled Vegetto as Vejitto for a while. Bra I know I called Bura for a period. Goku's wife's been Chichi and Chi-Chi. His childhood pal's been Krillin and Kuririn. I had a short Blooma phase several years back because other Kanzenshuu members made it a fad at the time and I liked the fad. I'm back to calling her Bulma though.

As far as I remember spelling standards for character names were looser back then in the early 2000's. I think people stuck to whichever ones they liked the looks of best or had an attachment to for whatever reason. That stuff never bothered me and I never saw anybody make much about who spelled which name which way. It's probably why I'm more accommodating to different spellings nowadays. The vast majority of spellings I use are mainstream ones, but if I see someone spell it differently that's fine imo. I'm not gonna call them out on it. I'm not an official authority I'm just another fan on the internet.

That said I understand the importance of having a set standard of spellings when it comes to places like Kanzenshuu where you need to use official spellings.
Yeah I tend to mix it up based on what I feel works at the time; I've used both Saiyan and Saiyajin, SS3 and SSJ3, and so on. I tend to use Funimation spellings since that's my primary influence on the franchise, but I try to use names like Kinto'un and Nyoi-bo over Flying Nimbus and Power Pole. I think here the "standard" are the Japanese names and the FUNimation names; if you know those you're pretty sorted for most conversations.
Chuquita wrote:Goku's wife's been Chichi and Chi-Chi.
Do we have a specific ruling on whether or not Chi-Chi officially has a hyphen in her name like Spider-Man does?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Never used Bejita. I think I spelled Vegetto as Vejitto for a while. Bra I know I called Bura for a period. Goku's wife's been Chichi and Chi-Chi. His childhood pal's been Krillin and Kuririn. I had a short Blooma phase several years back because other Kanzenshuu members made it a fad at the time and I liked the fad. I'm back to calling her Bulma though.

Yeah I tend to mix it up based on what I feel works at the time; I've used both Saiyan and Saiyajin, SS3 and SSJ3, and so on. I tend to use Funimation spellings since that's my primary influence on the franchise, but I try to use names like Kinto'un and Nyoi-bo over Flying Nimbus and Power Pole. I think here the "standard" are the Japanese names and the FUNimation names; if you know those you're pretty sorted for most conversations.
Chuquita wrote:Goku's wife's been Chichi and Chi-Chi.
Do we have a specific ruling on whether or not Chi-Chi officially has a hyphen in her name like Spider-Man does?
Oh I definitely switch back and forth on saiyan and saiyajin. I do use the j in ssj abbreviations. I've called them nyoi-bo and kinto'un for a long while now.

She's ChiChi on the Super manga volume 3 cover. I don't know how solid that is though. Could just be Toyotaro's spelling.

Also; just checked my DB Landmark book and while Chi-Chi's not mentioned in there romanized, it does mention Begeta of Planet Bageta. There's actually quite a bit of interesting spellings in DB Landmark.
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 pm

KBABZ wrote:Do we have a specific ruling on whether or not Chi-Chi officially has a hyphen in her name like Spider-Man does?
She's ChiChi on the Super manga volume 3 cover. I don't know how solid that is though. Could just be Toyotaro's spelling.

Also; just checked my DB Landmark book and while Chi-Chi's not mentioned in there romanized, it does mention Begeta of Planet Bageta.[/quote]
Checked my digital copy of early Dragon Ball, and Chi-Chi is spelt with the hyphen. Personally I prefer it that way.

Interesting how it's BEgeta for one and BAgeta for the other.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Do we have a specific ruling on whether or not Chi-Chi officially has a hyphen in her name like Spider-Man does?

Also; just checked my DB Landmark book and while Chi-Chi's not mentioned in there romanized, it does mention Begeta of Planet Bageta.
Checked my digital copy of early Dragon Ball, and Chi-Chi is spelt with the hyphen. Personally I prefer it that way.

Interesting how it's BEgeta for one and BAgeta for the other.
Landmark also has stuff like the Ginew Special Corp featuring Ginew, Jees, Burta, Ghord, and Recoom. Also inside: Woolong, Lunchi, Buruma, Klilyn, Gokou, the Budohji Temple, Namekku Planet, and of course an article titled What's the Dragon Ball?

This is an official Shueisha book too! From 2003. Actually this kind of explains the landscape of the time a bit more too. Less homogenized romanization spellings even in Shueisha material.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Chuquita wrote:Landmark also has stuff like the Ginew Special Corp featuring Ginew, Jees, Burta, Ghord, and Recoom. Also inside: Woolong, Lunchi, Buruma, Klilyn, Gokou, the Budohji Temple, Namekku Planet, and of course an article titled What's the Dragon Ball?

This is an official Shueisha book too! From 2003. Actually this kind of explains the landscape of the time a bit more too. Less homogenized romanization spellings even in Shueisha material.
Huh. I suppose this is a question for Vegetto, Hujio or some other long-time fan, but has there ever been a time where the English names were by-and-large standardized across the English side of the franchise? I don't think they were until Kai or the PS2 games, but I don't have enough experience to at all be the authority on that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Landmark also has stuff like the Ginew Special Corp featuring Ginew, Jees, Burta, Ghord, and Recoom. Also inside: Woolong, Lunchi, Buruma, Klilyn, Gokou, the Budohji Temple, Namekku Planet, and of course an article titled What's the Dragon Ball?

Huh. I suppose this is a question for Vegetto, Hujio or some other long-time fan, but has there ever been a time where the English names were by-and-large standardized across the English side of the franchise? I don't think they were until Kai or the PS2 games, but I don't have enough experience to at all be the authority on that.
The semi-recent past all runs together for me. I feel like once the internet approached closer to what it is today that would've been when stuff really got standardized. If I had to take a wild guess....2009? 2010?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Like you said, it was just really hardcore fans (who are borderline Weeaboos) trying to seem cool because they use the Japanese spellings (because when Romanised Vegeta's Japanese name is spelt as "Bejīta")

Now I use the Japanese terms most of the time because I watched the Japanese version first, but I do think calling him "Bejīta" is a little bit far.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Grew up with the Japanese too, but calling characters "Mirai no Torankusu", "Burori", "Pikkoro" or "Jinzoningen ju hachi go" is really weird

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Apslup wrote:Like you said, it was just really hardcore fans (who are borderline Weeaboos) trying to seem cool because they use the Japanese spellings (because when Romanised Vegeta's Japanese name is spelt as "Bejīta")
CTAkuma wrote:Grew up with the Japanese too, but calling characters "Mirai no Torankusu", "Burori", "Pikkoro" or "Jinzoningen ju hachi go" is really weird
Once again: our fansubs used these spellings and plenty of non-English international adaptations used these spellings, all of which were produced before FUNimation's English dub, and all of which fostered online audiences before FUNimation's English dub.

There was no "try hard" attitude going on. These were the spellings literally on-screen for us and backed-up by the international fans we came online to read material from.

I understand it can be difficult if you weren't there, but there was a time before FUNimation came up with new names and spellings, and before every single last one of us were educated enough to know what were proper nouns, what were regular words, what were suffixes, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:37 pm

As far as I know, no international dub actually used Bejita, by the way (though the NGN subtitles might have? Dunno). Or Torankusu (though the Galician dub used Toranks). But the Latin American Spanish dub did use Pikkoro.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 am

CTAkuma wrote:Grew up with the Japanese too, but calling characters "Mirai no Torankusu", "Burori", "Pikkoro" or "Jinzoningen ju hachi go" is really weird
The Mexican dub called Piccolo like that while it completely changed names like Chichi to Milk, because it means tits in Latin Spanish though going down that route is a slippery slope. They tried to be as hardcore as possible and then did that. Go figure. lol

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:33 am

Puto wrote:As far as I know, no international dub actually used Bejita
The Greek dub was using Bejita in the Saiyan Saga. They stopped calling Vegeta that way once the Namek Saga started.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm

The Greek dub isn't the best example as it uses several sources (including the Latino Spanish dub, the French dub, and the Italian dub...Could somebody do a run over of which Greek sagas use what source and OP/ED again?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:51 pm

I remember Freezer being everywhere on the net in the early 2000s but never Bejita.

Also Buruma which I never got when she wears clothes that says Bulma

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Also Buruma which I never got when she wears clothes that says Bulma
There are many who prefer Buruma/Bloomer(s) over Bulma, despite Toriyama's original spelling.