Has team four star been good for dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Has team four star been good for dragonball?

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Rewatched team four star episodes and I'm wondering was tfs a catalyst for dbs? Did it help the shows popularity? Has it been bad for the franchise?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Has team four star been good for dragonball?

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Why would anyone think a parody on the net was a reason for DBS?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Quite ridiculous to assume TFS is the reason Dragonball is popular or got DBS started

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Team4Star has no impact on how the franchise develops. Barely anyone outside of USA, Canada and the UK even knows it exist. I doub't anyone who works for Toei in Japan has even heard of it, let alone Toriyama.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:12 pm

DBS exists because of Battle of Gods success which was response to Dragon Ball Evolution.

That silly parody has absolutely nothing to do with DBS existence.
If something, DBS exists because of DB Evolution lol.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:19 pm

They certainly got me back into it after all these years, and I know I'm not the only one.

They have no direct impact on the franchise or current state of it's progress, that much is certain. The closest you could maybe argue is maybe they helped contribute to the resurgence of the series' popularity in the West that propelled the movies to success. That's it.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 pm

No, TFS Parody is a fan made product, it has just as much impact on the franchise that Toyble had with AF. It’s a gag parody that I watch every once in a while but nothing really more than that. I doubt any Japanese fans know what it is as it seems they are uhh... more into hentai related works with the exceptions of doujin.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

They provided a new entry point into the series for some, refreshed it for others, and provided an increasingly well-crafted piece of shared enjoyment for the types of fans who need to continuously interact with their favorite properties (the "in the gaps between the US dubs and new movies" mentality), and those who do not. I cannot see anything wrong with that even if you think their work itself is utterly terrible.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 pm

TFS may have an impact on the meme's of the franchise but overall on the franchise. Not really.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 am

It helped get DB out to more people and although it's not a huge contribution as the vast majority of people were probably already fans to begin with, it's still worth mentioning so I think it's been good.
sunsetshimmer wrote:DBS exists because of Battle of Gods success which was response to Dragon Ball Evolution.
Toriyama's return to the franchise is thanks to Evolution but regarding BOG, it was already being made and Toriyama decided to get involved with it to prevent another evolution. Who knows how things would've turned out had Toriyama let them do their version of BOG.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 am

I hate whenever something humorous happens in the show dub or sub some people are quick to throw "omg TFS" like they invented humour in DB, like people were so convinced Toei referenced TFS with Popo that one time.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 am

It has helped some people get back into the franchise after a long break, that of course worked in BOG and ROF's favour, but it wouldn't have influenced any of TOEI's decisions to create those movies, or indeed Super.

For better or for worse I do think they had an influence on the Super dub specifically with inserting jokes that weren't in the Japanese version.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 am

It's definitely had an impact on the western fandom. Before Super came out, I heard people talk about TeamFourStar more than the actual series. Just recently, when I was asking local theaters about the limited screenings for the first Broly movie, one of the staff members chimed in, "Are they showing the TeamFourStar version?"

Yeah, they're showing the TeamFourStar version. :problem:

I'm upset that there aren't subbed screenings and this guy is asking about fan parodies. I can't say I'm not irritated by things like that, but I don't want to knock people for what they enjoy either.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 am

I doubt a fan parody influenced the decision to make Super or was a catalyst in any capacity.

Whatever this catalyst was, I thank God for it's existence. :D :D :D

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 am

I recall an interview where someone from Toei stated that DBKai was essentially a test run to see if the franchise could still attract viewers. DBK came out in 2009, shortly after TFS started working on their parodies and long before they reached today's level of popularity. Despite DBK not being a huge success it still did well enough to convince them to make a new movie. I'd say Battle of Gods is the catalyst for DBS.

But as for the question in the subject title. Yeah, over all, I think TFS has been good for the franchise. It helped keep the interest alive in some parts of the world and since they are all genuine fans of the show and not just mocking it for fun and views, DBZA definitely did the fandom good.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am

On net, I guess it's a positive. It's not my taste, but if it keeps people interested in the series, then good for them, but I don't think it's nearly as influential as some claim.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 am

I'd say so, even it a lot of people throw around things from it or force its obvious exaggeration of personalities onto the actual characters.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am

I like the Abridged Series just fine but the fans really need to get a grip. The top rated comment on every video is some geek talking about the episode made them cry and how it's superior to the original product in every way.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 am

TheBigBoy wrote:I like the Abridged Series just fine but the fans really need to get a grip. The top rated comment on every video is some geek talking about the episode made them cry and how it's superior to the original product in every way.
I agree, another thing is posting unrelated references from them on everything DB related, which is very obnoxious in my opinion.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

TFS is good for the western fandom, because tons of people either got into or got back into the franchise because of the joy TFS's version has brought them. TFS is also good because of the joy their parody has brought people in and of itself.

Far as I'm concerned, that's the be-all end-all; their version has brought people joy, and it's got people back into the main series which has also brought people joy. These can only possibly be good things.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.