Ever got sick of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

USSJ Roshi

Re: Ever got sick of Dragon Ball?

Post by USSJ Roshi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Everytime Mr Satan interrupted a fight with his dumb voice...

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sin wrote:I've got some fatigue hitting me, mainly because of the draught of new info and also because I created a Twitter account recently and for some reason that side of the fanbase just drains me. But no, I don't think I ever will be sick of it, I love the original series and Z too much.
The fandom on Twitter I found wasn't great. Months ago I did a massive sweep and cleaned my following list and Twitter has been great for me ever since.
Seriously dude, I don't know what it is about having a follower base but it definitely goes to some heads - and their followers treat their word as gospel. Kanzenshuu, for me, really is the purest forum for the fandom...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Sin wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sin wrote:I've got some fatigue hitting me, mainly because of the draught of new info and also because I created a Twitter account recently and for some reason that side of the fanbase just drains me. But no, I don't think I ever will be sick of it, I love the original series and Z too much.
The fandom on Twitter I found wasn't great. Months ago I did a massive sweep and cleaned my following list and Twitter has been great for me ever since.
Seriously dude, I don't know what it is about having a follower base but it definitely goes to some heads - and their followers treat their word as gospel. Kanzenshuu, for me, really is the purest forum for the fandom...
Twitter Dragon Ball I only use for keeping up with Super and news on the Brolli movie because often they get it first before Kanzenshuu's forums do (Ajay, Terez, Sailorspazz, MozillaVulpix, GovetaXV, YonkouProd, and Herms98 are who I check for new movie info) but I don't have a Twitter account because it's not an outlet suited to what I do in regards to the fandom. It looks like it's only helpful if you post short text bursts. I like writing longer posts and I like uploading fan art. Have you tried looking through fan art Twitter accounts? It's impossible to easily browse through. You gotta go past every media post that person's posted in reverse chronological order. I still browse because there's some incredible db art accounts out there on Twitter, but man is it arduous not having a gallery view.

Kanzenshuu's forum is wonderful for looking up and posting information. It's way more user friendly here.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Sin wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The fandom on Twitter I found wasn't great. Months ago I did a massive sweep and cleaned my following list and Twitter has been great for me ever since.
Twitter Dragon Ball I only use for keeping up with Super and news on the Brolli movie because often they get it first before Kanzenshuu's forums do (Ajay, Terez, Sailorspazz, MozillaVulpix, GovetaXV, YonkouProd, and Herms98 are who I check for new movie info) but I don't have a Twitter account because it's not an outlet suited to what I do in regards to the fandom. It looks like it's only helpful if you post short text bursts. I like writing longer posts and I like uploading fan art. Have you tried looking through fan art Twitter accounts? It's impossible to easily browse through. You gotta go past every media post that person's posted in reverse chronological order. I still browse because there's some incredible db art accounts out there on Twitter, but man is it arduous not having a gallery view.

Kanzenshuu's forum is wonderful for looking up and posting information. It's way more user friendly here.
You're right, I'm probably just following the wrong accounts - I will check out the ones you recommended!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 am

Sin wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Sin wrote:

You're right, I'm probably just following the wrong accounts - I will check out the ones you recommended!
The first four plus Herms also have accounts here on Kanzenshuu. And I forgot to type the full handle for a couple; he's animeajay on Twitter and Terez is terez27.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:09 am

Same dude. If you follow db fans on Twitter especially some of the the more popular ones, you will probably want to rip your hair out and might even start resenting the franchise.It just attracts some very crappy people for whatever reason

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I... had been doing a re-watch of the series (not Kai, and w/original audio) from the start of this year from DB #1 through into Super, made it up until just before the ToP began (Episode #94?)... and hit a wall. That was back around May, and I haven't checked on anything DB related or visited these forums since that time. The strange thing is that I was having fun with it all (well, mostly the OG series), so it wasn't about being sick of the franchise. I don't know what really happened there, and my mind ended up being directed towards some other things that I'm nostalgic about, or just routine life in general.

I'm thinking that I may as well finish Super at some point soon, there's only about 30-ish episodes to go. I remember that there was an announcement for a new DB feature film earlier this year, but I haven't read up on anything about it even now -- I have no idea who/what it involves. All that I know is that the original series (DB/Z) is something special to me, and Super and whatever other stuff just isn't as much. However, Super has brought millions of new DB fans along from all over the place, many of them going all the way back and seeing how this whole classic DB story began, and even pre-existing "dub-only" fans going back through the series with original audio for the first time ... so, that's really super cool!

... And, I've yet to see any of GT, even though I've known about it for 20 years. Looks kinda dry and boring. :/

Anyway, in short, I've never over-indulged on the DB story to the point of being sick of it. It's just that it's disappeared from my view at times over the years for various reasons.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Not necessarily. I definitely had periods of "inactive" fandom during the period before BoG after my "honeymoon" phase with the franchise from about 2000-2006 wore off, and when nothing was really going on and had other interests I was into at the time. It was usually only renewed briefly whenever a new video game came out, as that was my yearly tradition to pick them up since the first Budokai was released. I was really starting to feel fatigued with Ultimate Tenkaichi, then boom... Battle of Gods happened and my interest has pretty much been maintained since then, considering there's always so much going on now.

Remember the dark ages pre-2013, when anything genuinely new coming out of the franchise was kind of a big deal? I kind of miss that in a weird way. Not that I'm complaining.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:03 pm

During Supers run honestly.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Dragon Ball as an idea is something I never get bored of, because they can pretty much do whatever they want with it. Characters, techniques, types of stories that can be told, it's a very versatile series. As an actual narrative, or a discussion point however...well, I've never ragequit the series or anything, but it's difficult dealing with just how many things didn't feel quite right or how many opportunities were missed. And of course, when the series constantly prattles on with arcs taking way too long or being too boring in general, or just not actually having anything happening (which is way worse in the anime) it's easy for me to get tired. It's a recurring meme to compare Sonic to Dragon Ball, but it's weirdly prevalent in that both series started out great, got muddled and even terrible in their middle periods and stayed that way for quite a while, and nowadays play things way safer due to seemingly being critically afraid of fucking up as hard as their former worst entries did, even if fans like to call new stuff crap on principle alone anyway(they also both got artists in 2017 that recently revolutionized their rigid, bland character designs and whom everyone wants to stick with the series). And lastly, they're both a pain in the ass to discuss with people. Every statement on whether someone likes something or not has to be a personal insult or a crusade on "what fits for the series" because they're so incredibly diluted that what the series actually is varies a fuckton from person to person.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:00 am

Gonna be honest, there was a time I almost decided to stop watching DB and it was when Super was airing the damn retellings of BoG and RoF.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 am

Right now. Currently reading through the One Piece manga for the first time. Hoping that keeps me entertained until the Broly movie comes out.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 pm

After the show went off the air the first time I didn't think about it much till DB Evolution was coming out I followed that for a while I was optimistic and enthusiastic about it obviously it did not deliver but I had a blast discussing it with other people up until it came out when that didn't go well I forgot about it again for a long time. I am not gonna lie when Battle of Gods was coming out I could really care less about it I thought it was just another generic movie I was at anime expo 2014 when they were promoting it so I got a poster signed by the dub cast and I was excited because I was thinking of the glory days of the series but I was really just there for Sailor Moon Stuff I didn't make an effort to watch the movie or anything. when Super was coming out I again wasn't interested because I figured it was a half assed cash grab and I knew there wasn't a dub so again I didn't think about it. I only started to get interested in it again when I was reading on ANN that the current arc on Super was bringing back Trunks and so I was really curious. I started watching it from the beginning and it wasn't boring for me because I hadn't watched the new movies. Super really got me excited about the series again and I was really happy with how it turned out. It was really fun to get to follow it weekly just like I was a kid again and experience it with the Japanese cast for the first time and again with the new dub too.