Ever got sick of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Oniman
Banned

Ever got sick of Dragon Ball?

Post by Oniman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Did you ever get sick of anime and almost stopped being in this community? if so, what brought you back? I got into Dragon Ball when I was 13 back in 1998 on Toonami after hearing DB from other anime websites for years and got burn out by it by 2005. So I got back into it thanks to Battle of Gods in 2013.
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

Logania
Regular

Re: Ever got sick of Dragon Ball?

Post by Logania » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:00 pm

I stopped being into Dragon Ball after the release of Ultimate Tenkaichi until Battle of Gods release which isn't really that long of time, like 2 years I think? Other than that I haven't been really tired of it as I always played the games with my friends year after year and occasionally buy merch of it.

I AM however, getting tired of Super.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Not yet but I'm afraid I'm about to. I wouldn't want Dragon Ball to be back after all these decades if not to return with new stuff. Sure it can keep those "Dragon Ball is Goku of simple story so that children can enjoy" silliness but come on, that does not mean you have to be stuck in the same events with the same things over and over and wasting time with retellings and endless tournaments.

What is keeping me around are the video-games, which are doing exactly everything I'm asking to see in the "main series"; new content, great expansion of the lore, dealing with other matters. If the next movie doesn't surprise me (and hell Broly is not a good start, if he's anything to go by then) I'll drop/get sick of Dragon Ball, its "main part", and probably will only come back when someone in the production side finally decide/see that the best thing to be done is to leave the safe zone.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Only in the way you get sick of eating a lot of the same food. After a while you want something else. But give it a few years and that craving sometimes comes back. It's like the Eddie Murphy bit about Ritz crackers. For me, after the initial love affair that lasted from 1997-2004 (the end of GT), I would buy the sets, but it wasn't until Kai that I got back into it for a while. I haven't seen Super and to be quite honest, there's nothing driving me to see it. I like talking about it, but haven't seen it since my last rewatch a few years ago. I'm not sure if I'll rewatch again. If so, it won't be for maybe a decade. A movie every now and then is easily digestible.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Grimlock wrote:Not yet but I'm afraid I'm about to. I wouldn't want Dragon Ball to be back after all these decades if not to return with new stuff. Sure it can keep those "Dragon Ball is Goku of simple story so that children can enjoy" silliness but come on, that does not mean you have to be stuck in the same events with the same things over and over and wasting time with retellings and endless tournaments.

What is keeping me around are the video-games, which are doing exactly everything I'm asking to see in the "main series"; new content, great expansion of the lore, dealing with other matters. If the next movie doesn't surprise me (and hell Broly is not a good start, if he's anything to go by then) I'll drop/get sick of Dragon Ball, its "main part", and probably will only come back when someone in the production side finally decide/see that the best thing to be done is to leave the safe zone.
Even those games gets old too.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Logania wrote:I stopped being into Dragon Ball after the release of Ultimate Tenkaichi until Battle of Gods release which isn't really that long of time, like 2 years I think? Other than that I haven't been really tired of it as I always played the games with my friends year after year and occasionally buy merch of it.

I AM however, getting tired of Super.
Because of Broly becoming canon?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:14 pm

I didn't like Super at first, I found it quite boring since the first two arcs were just retelling of movies that I had already seen, and the Universe 6 arc did not look particularly gripping or stunning. I must thank the writers of the Future Trunks arc for restoring my love for this series. Zamasu is my absolute favourite character in all of Dragon Ball, I adore him, and I remember that when the Future Trunks arc was airing back in 2016, I used to spend entire hours discussing all the informations about Goku Black with friends on the internet. Goku Black, a testament to the genius of the writers, who were able to create one of the most beloved characters in the entire franchise. This is proof that even the most basic and boring of concepts, can still be executed flawlessly. It is therefore not a surprise that episode 47, which stars the explosive debut of Goku Black in the series, had the highest ratings out of any episode in Super, even higher than episodes 109-110-130-131.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Got tired after rewatchin DBZ like over 100,0000 times. Who wouldnt?

I could literally memorize every single dialogue (in Jap), musical cues, fight stances....even frickin names of animation supervisor & key-animators by just having a glance at its artstyle!!!

More like burn-out tb precise (2010-2014). Those intense period of time accompanied by even intensive anime series ever made, DBZ:)

Now, I'm at cooler, calm & relaxed time period. Hence, I only watch "high-quality" main-event DB related stuff occasionally such as DBZ Episode's animated/supervised by Top 3/4 TOEI Staffs & DBZ Movie 8~13 & 15:)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:11 pm

No not tired, but there's portions of the franchise I don't have much interest in that long ago I probably would've kept up with because it was Dragon Ball. Stuff like Legends, XV2, DBH, spin off manga, even the Super manga are all db related things I've lost interest in.

The only parts of the franchise I still pay a lot of attention to are the upcoming movie and FighterZ. I'll also follow the TV series for Super if it comes back.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 pm

I've got some fatigue hitting me, mainly because of the draught of new info and also because I created a Twitter account recently and for some reason that side of the fanbase just drains me. But no, I don't think I ever will be sick of it, I love the original series and Z too much.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Grimlock wrote: I'll drop/get sick of Dragon Ball, its "main part", and probably will only come back when someone in the production side finally decide/see that the best thing to be done is to leave the safe zone.
I´d assume that they saw what happened to gt after they went with something new, and they are kind of afraid to do so. Although the drastic change between dragon ball and Z should show how changing stuff in the show can work if you do it right.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm

The only time I got sick of Dragon Ball was around 2015-2016 when was very active in various anime forums (plus Kanzenshuu), the series itself never made sick but rather the fans :sick:, the kneejerking overeaction was cancer.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Even those games gets old too.
They will eventually, but only if they start coming up with the same things. So far so good though.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:I´d assume that they saw what happened to gt after they went with something new, and they are kind of afraid to do so. Although the drastic change between dragon ball and Z should show how changing stuff in the show can work if you do it right.
There was nothing wrong except for the execution and the Super 17 saga in Dragon Ball GT. That anime was still in the realm of safety but it used an interesting pre-established idea (Tsufuru) and turned the Dragon Balls against the heroes, whom have always been dependent on them. Now, if they are afraid of executing things poorly, then hire professional writers, competent people that can make something satisfactory. I see those people working for Dimps, surely they can help.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 pm

I like to take a break from the franchise every now and then just to breathe for a bit. Dragon Ball’s my favorite series, but I don’t like to let anything really consume my interests completely. That said, I do reread the manga at least once a year and try to actively follow news related to the franchise. I haven’t watched the anime in years and have no intention of doing so anytime soon. I watch and read Super as it airs, but I have no inclination to revisit DBS in the way I do the original series.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 am

No. But then, I'm also one of those people that, beyond getting the series on DVD, and a game or two, I don't really get too much of the other stuff. Plus, I also look into other franchises as well. But its still my favorite franchise, and did I miss it until Kai came out. Then Evolution came out, pissed me (and every Dragon Ball fan) off, then Battle of Gods revived the franchise...

Yeah. Enjoying Dragon Ball being back. Still miss it when Toonami was on all week and we had Dragon Ball 4 days a week.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 am

My biggest downtime with Dragon Ball was from late 2006 - early 2009 when there was just nothing new happening, the videogames were getting banal, there were constant (and mediocre) home releases of DBZ and of course Dragonball Evolution being a thing. I did legitimately consider quitting Dragon Ball after that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am

Sin wrote:I've got some fatigue hitting me, mainly because of the draught of new info and also because I created a Twitter account recently and for some reason that side of the fanbase just drains me. But no, I don't think I ever will be sick of it, I love the original series and Z too much.
The fandom on Twitter I found wasn't great. Months ago I did a massive sweep and cleaned my following list and Twitter has been great for me ever since.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 pm

I have always loved Dragon Ball.

However, eventually Super kinda broke me for a bit, since it was the first time I didn't enjoy a Dragon Ball series, and simultaneously was the first time I actually really disliked something Dragon Ball, so I got a bit of Phantom Menace syndrome about that, and around that time, I was getting a bit sick of certain parts of the fandom too. My solution ended up just being to chill out, focus on the stuff I enjoy from Dragon Ball, and stick more closely to the parts of the fandom I do enjoy interacting with. :)
And, bonus, I discovered the Super manga, which I very much enjoy, so I do still enjoy Super, in a way, and I am looking forward to the new movie, though through a lens of cautious optimism more than the pure hype most people seem to have for it. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm

No, but I do go through stages with it. Certain times, I'm watching it. Other times, I'm reading it. Other times, I'm here (and only here, the rest of the internet for DB is...difficult) posting about it.

Every once in a while, I drop out for a bit, but I'm still thinking about it often. Then a few months go by and I'm back into the swing of it. That's the one thing about Dragon Ball for me. I go through a lot of fads, and then drop out of them quickly due to lack of interest. But Dragon Ball is one thing that I always come back to for nearly 20 years now.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:13 am

For me, with any of the geeky stuff I like it go in phases. There'll be something random that triggers a phase where I'm really into something geeky I like for a while, then it starts to wane and once I'm over it, something will spark another phase for another geeky thing I like. My posting history here reflects this since I typically only post here when I'm in a Dragon Ball kick.

I was in my last Dragon Ball kick in around 2015, and since then all the mediocre new material and retcons we've been getting had made me pretty jaded about the franchise, so I came pretty close to getting sick of it. Then my friend introduced me to Dragon Ball Fighterz and that triggered my current Dragon Ball kick, prompting me to revisit what I still do like about the franchise (the original series, the movies, Kikuchi's score, and Yamamoto's music for the video games). It has even prompted me to do a rewatch of all thirteen Z movies in a lead up to a rewatch of GT, since Super has caused me to look at GT in a new light and I want to determine if GT actually was as bad as its reputation says or if it's only Super's mediocrity making me think GT was better than it actually was. Hell, I'm even considering checking out some of Super itself because of this (mainly the Goku Black arc since that always sounded like the only part of Super worth checking out).