Toyotaro's art

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Toyotaro's art

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Appers wrote:
Something that sticks out to me immediately is Trunks' sword. In Toyotaro's version, the blade is almost completely lost among the action lines. In Toriyama's version the action lines are curved and don't have the same weight as the lines on the blade so it cleanly contrasts them.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:06 pm

It looks like he traced parts of Freeza getting chopped. The line art in the right arm looks nearly 1:1.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:10 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Appers wrote:
Something that sticks out to me immediately is Trunks' sword. In Toyotaro's version, the blade is almost completely lost among the action lines. In Toriyama's version the action lines are curved and don't have the same weight as the lines on the blade so it cleanly contrasts them.
What also helps is that Toriyama included a lot more lines on his version so that it fills the background.
Attitudefan wrote:It looks like he traced parts of Freeza getting chopped. The line art in the right arm looks nearly 1:1.
I think it makes sense since he's directly referring to a scene previously depicted in the manga.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 pm

It's progressively worse as Super's manga continued.

But to be honest, I don't really want a 1:1 of Toriyama's art style, I was hoping Super could be the good stepping stone of transitioning to a new look of Dragon Ball. No one is going to be on the same level as the originator so don't even try. Just have the essence of Dragon Ball in there with a talented artist to give a few new artistic changes, not a dude who basically copies everything and can't draw a neck.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'd be interested in seeing someone like Murata do something for DB. A big criticism I have with a lot of Toriyama's supposed successors is that they're way too focused on trying to emulate him that they stunt themselves as artists in their own right. Having someone like Murata who's already got his own thing divorced from DB being put on a project and illustrating it in his own style would make for a refreshing change of pace. Toriyama's shadow is something the franchise period desperately needs to flip off with bold middle fingers erect. Even Shintani's so-called new designs are just a softer version of Namek Era DB while the lauded Takahashi is just aping Yamamuro back when he was worth a damn.
I don't think Murata would cut it. He's talented, his art is gorgeous, but his panelling and composition feel too cluttered and busy. There's none of the distinctive Dragon Ball flow. I would prefer someone like Togashi as lazy as he is.
Yeah because Togashi would have quit HxH to draw dragonball right ? Atleast keep it reasonable dude. Otherwise let’s just give Miura a lifetime supply of Idolmaster and get him to draw this manga , it’s not like berserk is going anywhere

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 am

Togashi's personal issues aside, I'd rather not have every panel complied with a massive amount of dialogue. Get that enough with HxH and quite honestly that wouldn't feel like DB.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:19 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'd be interested in seeing someone like Murata do something for DB. A big criticism I have with a lot of Toriyama's supposed successors is that they're way too focused on trying to emulate him that they stunt themselves as artists in their own right. Having someone like Murata who's already got his own thing divorced from DB being put on a project and illustrating it in his own style would make for a refreshing change of pace. Toriyama's shadow is something the franchise period desperately needs to flip off with bold middle fingers erect. Even Shintani's so-called new designs are just a softer version of Namek Era DB while the lauded Takahashi is just aping Yamamuro back when he was worth a damn.
I don't think Murata would cut it. He's talented, his art is gorgeous, but his panelling and composition feel too cluttered and busy. There's none of the distinctive Dragon Ball flow. I would prefer someone like Togashi as lazy as he is.
Yeah because Togashi would have quit HxH to draw dragonball right ? Atleast keep it reasonable dude. Otherwise let’s just give Miura a lifetime supply of Idolmaster and get him to draw this manga , it’s not like berserk is going anywhere
Nobody said he'd quit HxH to draw Dragon Ball. I was obviously talking about a pipe dream, not a reasonable request.
kudo6000 wrote:Togashi's personal issues aside, I'd rather not have every panel complied with a massive amount of dialogue. Get that enough with HxH and quite honestly that wouldn't feel like DB.
That is a problem, but his action and overall style are quite reminiscent of Dragon Ball.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's a shame to hear he is not improving, there are other fan artists that I am sure would have excelled and honed their craft by now, instead we're stuck with a dude that by the sounds of it still can't even draw a neck properly!
Yeah, and sadly, I don’t think he’ll ever improve because it seems as though no one of influence is pushing him to improve. Not Toriyama and not his “editor”.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:02 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's a shame to hear he is not improving, there are other fan artists that I am sure would have excelled and honed their craft by now, instead we're stuck with a dude that by the sounds of it still can't even draw a neck properly!
Yeah, and sadly, I don’t think he’ll ever improve because it seems as though no one of influence is pushing him to improve. Not Toriyama and not his “editor”.
As an added note, working in a dense-schedule industry myself it can be hard to improve when there's much greater emphasis placed on just getting the work done to meet deadlines. Toriyama could be seen as a case where he adopted more argular lineart over time to make his drawings quicker to do on time.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:59 am

I mean, he was definitely tracing back in his DBAF days. Unfortunately, somehow he hasn't seemed to have managed to catch on. You'd think with this much practice he'd just naturally fit into the art style, but all of his work is distinctly "oh, that's definitely not Toriyama/borderline fan art"... or maybe that's intentional; even though it looks like he's trying to mimic Toriyama's style. I don't know, but I'm not really a fan.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.