Why did Dragon Ball never do a movie version of the Piccolo Daimou saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Why did Dragon Ball never do a movie version of the Piccolo Daimou saga?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Curse of the blood rubies remade the first story arc

Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle remade The Muten Roshi saga

Mystical Adventure remade the Tenshinhan saga with elements of the Red Ribbon army saga

Path to Power re-remade the first story arc and infused it with the Red Ribbon army saga and did it while wearing GT drag

But no Piccolo Daimou movie? Z’s Lord Slug is more a rehash than a remake.

I guess there’s Dragon Ball Evolution but you know...

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Why did Dragon Ball never do a movie version of the Piccolo Daimou saga?

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 pm

DBZ Movie One was the Raditz arc mixed with Piccolo saga elements via Garlic Junior's story and character.

Maybe the absence of a more direct remake was due to production schedules with the anime or the shift between DB and DBZ?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:52 pm

MyVisionity wrote:DBZ Movie One was the Raditz arc mixed with Piccolo saga elements via Garlic Junior's story and character.
?
The events of the Piccolo Daimou still presumambly happened in DBZ so its more of a rehash than a retelling.

It does sort of replace Radditz (Goku and Piccolo are forced to team up. Gohan gets captured and shows hidden power for the “first time”)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Most likely because the movies are more concerned with telling their own stories than retelling those from the show itself. The original Dragon Ball movies are slight exceptions as they sort of meet in the middle, but I definately think by Dead Zone that they gave up the ghost and shot for wholly original tales set vaguely during the time of the anime.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:Most likely because the movies are more concerned with telling their own stories than retelling those from the show itself. The original Dragon Ball movies are slight exceptions as they sort of meet in the middle, but I definately think by Dead Zone that they gave up the ghost and shot for wholly original tales set vaguely during the time of the anime.
Yeah basically this
I would love to see a king piccolo movie they're probably never gonna do it. Think about it , the movie could start at the end of the tournament Kuririn dies Goku seeks revenge only to lose to tambourine and king piccolo . Karin tower divine water , king piccolo fight, conclusion it's perfect for a movie but alas we'll never see it...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Most likely because the movies are more concerned with telling their own stories than retelling those from the show itself. The original Dragon Ball movies are slight exceptions as they sort of meet in the middle, but I definately think by Dead Zone that they gave up the ghost and shot for wholly original tales set vaguely during the time of the anime.
Yeah basically this
I would love to see a king piccolo movie they're probably never gonna do it. Think about it , the movie could start at the end of the tournament Kuririn dies Goku seeks revenge only to lose to tambourine and king piccolo . Karin tower divine water , king piccolo fight, conclusion it's perfect for a movie but alas we'll never see it...
Honestly you could probably edit the existing episodes to tell that story. Only issue would be non-movie animation quality and 4:3, haha.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
Yeah basically this
Honestly you could probably edit the existing episodes to tell that story. Only issue would be non-movie animation quality and 4:3, haha.
Yeah I love the king piccolo saga I would settle for that for sure

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 am

When it was time to release the 4th movie (at the time dead zone), the anime had been renamed and was moving in a slightly different direction due to the new key staff members so it made sense to also take the movies in a new direction. I personally wish the DB movies were also original as they could've added to the lore in the way Z's did instead of just remaking stories already covered better in the anime and manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 am

sintzu wrote:When it was time to release the 4th movie (at the time dead zone), the anime had been renamed and was moving in a slightly different direction due to the new key staff members so it made sense to also take the movies in a new direction. I personally wish the DB movies were also original as they could've added to the lore in the way Z's did instead of just remaking stories already covered better in the anime and manga.
Yeah, it would have been so interesting if the movies continued the route of the Dragon Ball ones and carved out their own similar-but-clearly-alternate continuity.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am

KBABZ wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
Yeah basically this
I don't think it would be possible to remove the Darkness filler, at least without some extreme and very clever editing, but otherwise that should be perfectly doable with some fast paced action scenes. I'd actually like to have a go at editing some of the arcs into movies some day... With some two-parters lol.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:00 am

Fizzer wrote:I don't think it would be possible to remove the Darkness filler, at least without some extreme and very clever editing, but otherwise that should be perfectly doable with some fast paced action scenes. I'd actually like to have a go at editing some of the arcs into movies some day... With some two-parters lol.
I actually took a shot at it when doing my first pass of The First Chapters! The key was to find a really good splice point, and what I decided to use was the moment when Goku and Yajirobe hit the ground after the toboggan scene, which cuts to when they hit the ground after being forced off a cliff by Darkness Roshi. The only difference is that the walls change from pale blue to red (which might be changeable with some clever colour-changing), but all in all it cuts out a LOT of content so that the primary scenes are the snow monster and the encounter with Darkness.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 am

KBABZ wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I don't think it would be possible to remove the Darkness filler, at least without some extreme and very clever editing, but otherwise that should be perfectly doable with some fast paced action scenes. I'd actually like to have a go at editing some of the arcs into movies some day... With some two-parters lol.
I actually took a shot at it when doing my first pass of The First Chapters! The key was to find a really good splice point, and what I decided to use was the moment when Goku and Yajirobe hit the ground after the toboggan scene, which cuts to when they hit the ground after being forced off a cliff by Darkness Roshi. The only difference is that the walls change from pale blue to red (which might be changeable with some clever colour-changing), but all in all it cuts out a LOT of content so that the primary scenes are the snow monster and the encounter with Darkness.
Yeah, I think the best option is to cut it down and generally make it tighter. Even if most of the actual content from that filler were left in it can be streamlined a lot. I imagine you managed to contain it in a single episode that way?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 am

Lord Slug kinda was Piccolo Daimao retelling (Evil Namekian wish for youth) mixed with Freeza Saga (Super Namekian plus SSJ shoehorned in debut)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 am

Fizzer wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yeah, I think the best option is to cut it down and generally make it tighter. Even if most of the actual content from that filler were left in it can be streamlined a lot. I imagine you managed to contain it in a single episode that way?
I did! It makes the scene feel a lot briefer, and Goku is able to survive the Ultra Divine Water and open his eyes by the end of that episode, which is a huge bonus.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 pm

If Japanese Wikipedia is to be believed, the fourth movie in the 1980s was originally planned to be based on the Piccolo arc. But since the TV series was transitioning into the DBZ era, it was scrapped and we got the Garlic Jr. movie instead.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:If Japanese Wikipedia is to be believed, the fourth movie in the 1980s was originally planned to be based on the Piccolo arc. But since the TV series was transitioning into the DBZ era, it was scrapped and we got the Garlic Jr. movie instead.
That's a shame but at the very least Path to Power is a stunning piece of art, visually and musically. We never got a GT movie but Path to Power was made with GT animation and music.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:04 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
John Pannozzi wrote:If Japanese Wikipedia is to be believed, the fourth movie in the 1980s was originally planned to be based on the Piccolo arc. But since the TV series was transitioning into the DBZ era, it was scrapped and we got the Garlic Jr. movie instead.
That's a shame but at the very least Path to Power is a stunning piece of art, visually and musically. We never got a GT movie but Path to Power was made with GT animation and music.
Agreed great movie imo best Dragonball movie

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:12 pm

The music and art of Path to Power are amazing, it's just a shame the show moves at a speed that rivals Teen Titans Go, it would have been much better if it had better pacing.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Path to Power is probably the most gorgeous thing to come out of Dragon Ball (and that includes Z, GT, Kai, and Super)