Why did Sean Schemmel seem so off in OG Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why did Sean Schemmel seem so off in OG Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:37 am

Robo4900 wrote:.

I don't think Colleen is bad, I think as a kid Goku she'd fit into the meh category. Not bad, but not great either.
It’s not that she’s bad it’s just the voice doesn’t fit Goku. Kid Goku and Gohan are just too different that unless you find someone as versatile as Nozawa you’re just not going to find a voice actress who can do both.
At the very least, an improvement on Nadolny. :lol:
Meh I maintain that between her Goku and Gohan Nadolny’s Goku is more tolerable than her Gohan. It’s definitely not good just the least awful English Dub Kid Goku voice that also did Gohan.

The 2005 redub was better, but better is not good. Far from it, I consider UUE to be in the same category of crap as all of Funi's other pre-Kai in-house series dubs; it has all the same issues, they'd just improved as a cast a lot in the years since "Season 3" started, and the scripts, music, and overall approach weren't as ruinous and abhorrent as they were in GT.
I more or less agree with you. I just think if you want to point to a spot where the Funi cast didn’t totally suck pre-Kai there’s the redub. But ya know Nadolny and Vollmer are still present. Krillin still sounds like Jimbo from South Park. Funimation is still trying to make DBZ appeal to a certain demographic.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 am

I don't recall him sounding off, but I did like how much younger he sounded in OG DB.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am

Robo4900 wrote:Abso-goddamn-lutely. In no other fandom would fans so aggressively defend the worst home media releases of all time. Same goes for the really aggressive defensiveness people have about the constant changes in Funimation's dubbing scripts that continue into the modern day... It did get better with Kai, and in fact Kai's scripts overall were pretty decent... But TFC and Super have been a massive step down in that regard, and people continuing to defend the ridiculous changes that riddle these scripts is just mind-boggling.
I was referring more towards general stuff in the series across its entire existence, it gets particularly bad when I see people basically say the whole series was always a vapid, worthless piece of shit with no substantive worth or anything approaching quality,... Because THAT'S how you show you're a true fan, by tearing down what you purportedly like so the crap can be excused.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Schemmel on the Dragon Ball dub was in his early days so he was still grasping at it. Eventually, he nailed the role after Kai came along.
No, it wasn't. He'd already been voicing Goku for five years by the time he started dubbing Dragon Ball. It was simply a different approach from his normal Goku performance.
Not only that, but by the time he started dubbing Kai it was 2010: and he started voicing the role what, in 1999? That's over ten or eleven straight years voicing this same character. Across hundreds of TV episodes, dozens of movies, and countless video games. Never mind that I personally disagree and think that Schemmel has been uniformly, universally awful as Goku for the most part from beginning to now: lets say for the sake of argument that I did agree and that he eventually "nailed" the role by the time Kai came along. When it takes you over a decade of performing the same part (throughout ungodly amounts of content) before you finally even start to get the hang of the character properly... that doesn't speak too well of one's acting chops overall.

The excuses that fans keep coming up with to continually let the FUNimcation cast off the hook is always remarkable: "Well sure they sucked at first, but eventually they got it right at THIS point in time down the line, after X video game or Y anime reboot", usually many, many long years and years later after they first started. I don't know of any other fanbase for any other group of performers who are so absurdly lenient and forgiving that they'll wait around for over a decade for the actor in question to finally get the proper hang of a given role. That's just NOT a thing ANYWHERE else that I'm aware of except for FUNimation's DBZ fanbase, who'll claim lifelong fealty to them even though by some estimates, some of them didn't truly come into their own in these roles until the early 2010s.
I would argue that Schemmel had gotten the hang of the role by the Buu arc. He just made his greatest leap forward in the Kai dub, which was no doubt partly due to better direction.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:46 pm

I love Schemmel in OG Dragon Ball. It contributes a lot to my enjoyment when I watch the dub. I sure as hell like him better than his performance in Z. In the case of adult Goku/Z Goku, Nozawa is 100x better.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Abso-goddamn-lutely. In no other fandom would fans so aggressively defend the worst home media releases of all time. Same goes for the really aggressive defensiveness people have about the constant changes in Funimation's dubbing scripts that continue into the modern day... It did get better with Kai, and in fact Kai's scripts overall were pretty decent... But TFC and Super have been a massive step down in that regard, and people continuing to defend the ridiculous changes that riddle these scripts is just mind-boggling.
I was referring more towards general stuff in the series across its entire existence, it gets particularly bad when I see people basically say the whole series was always a vapid, worthless piece of shit with no substantive worth or anything approaching quality,... Because THAT'S how you show you're a true fan, by tearing down what you purportedly like so the crap can be excused.
Even here, I’d argue Star Wars fans were worse back in 2006 in regards to the Unaltered OT DVDs. The unrestored, non anamorphic, lazy laserdisc rips. There were fans who claimed you can’t make old movies anamorphic. Hell, some SE apologists were gloating at the purests that they had a well made release, but the “older” fans had to settle for scraps.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:Even here, I’d argue Star Wars fans were worse back in 2006 in regards to the Unaltered OT DVDs. The unrestored, non-anamorphic, lazy laserdisc rips.
Lazy, yes. However, the parts concerning it being "unrestored" and "lazy laserdisc rips" are wrong. The 2006 GOUT set used as its source the master tapes used for the 93 Definitive Collection and 95 Faces Laserdiscs (and VHS tapes with the latter). The 93 master was in itself a digital restoration, with redone audio mixes, THX certification, and some image clean up. Not to say that it holds up today by any means, and also not to say that the 93 master didn't have issues (one of which is DVNR smearing. Four-headed stormtrooper, anyone?) but even so, an attempt was made in 1993, and the 2006 GOUT DVDs reused the 93 transfer but used the source tapes instead of ripping some laserdiscs. It was kind of a clever move, really: without having to put in any real effort, Lucasfilm rendered all but the very best Definitive Collection master based bootlegs obsolete from a video perspective due to the increased resolution of DVD (granted, bootlegs that kept the audio PCM had an advantage over the GOUT's AC3 compression...but AFAIK the audio compression was done in a fairly standard manner and was probably on par or better than bootlegs that also compressed their audio).

Of course, with all the high-quality fan projects being done, the GOUT is slowly becoming more and more insignificant. Shame I probably can't talk about that here...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote:Even here, I’d argue Star Wars fans were worse back in 2006 in regards to the Unaltered OT DVDs. The unrestored, non-anamorphic, lazy laserdisc rips.
Lazy, yes. However, the parts concerning it being "unrestored" and "lazy laserdisc rips" are wrong. The 2006 GOUT set used as its source the master tapes used for the 93 Definitive Collection and 95 Faces Laserdiscs (and VHS tapes with the latter). The 93 master was in itself a digital restoration, with redone audio mixes, THX certification, and some image clean up. Not to say that it holds up today by any means, and also not to say that the 93 master didn't have issues (one of which is DVNR smearing. Four-headed stormtrooper, anyone?) but even so, an attempt was made in 1993, and the 2006 GOUT DVDs reused the 93 transfer but used the source tapes instead of ripping some laserdiscs. It was kind of a clever move, really: without having to put in any real effort, Lucasfilm rendered all but the very best Definitive Collection master based bootlegs obsolete from a video perspective due to the increased resolution of DVD (granted, bootlegs that kept the audio PCM had an advantage over the GOUT's AC3 compression...but AFAIK the audio compression was done in a fairly standard manner and was probably on par or better than bootlegs that also compressed their audio).

Of course, with all the high-quality fan projects being done, the GOUT is slowly becoming more and more insignificant. Shame I probably can't talk about that here...
Fair enough. My point was they were nowhere near the quality they should have been at the time. The SE got a brand new remaster for 2004. The OOT should have gotten the same love and care

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Danfun64 wrote:obsolete from a video perspective due to the increased resolution of DVD
Much as I hate to continue pushing things so far off-topic, I have to point out that DVD doesn't really have any resolution gain over Laserdisc, as I understand it; both should be 480i/30fps in NTSC, and 576i/25fps in PAL. The real point here is that because the GOUT DVDs are a direct DVD pressing of the '93 master, rather than having to go the long way around through Laserdisc and a fan transfer of that to digital, it ends up having a better picture.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm surprised this thread went any further than "He pitched his voice higher to sound younger."
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Four-headed stormtrooper, anyone?
Dammit, meant to say four-EYED stormtrooper.
Robo4900 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:obsolete from a video perspective due to the increased resolution of DVD
Much as I hate to continue pushing things so far off-topic, I have to point out that DVD doesn't really have any resolution gain over Laserdisc, as I understand it; both should be 480i/30fps in NTSC, and 576i/25fps in PAL.
Maybe the horizontal resolution is the same with Laserdisc and DVD...but saying that 580 horizontal lines (Laserdisc) is equal to 704 horizontal lines (DVD) is...odd.
XanatosVanBadass wrote:The SE got a brand new remaster for 2004. The OOT should have gotten the same love and care
I'd argue that the 1993 Definitive Collection was done with more love back in its day than the 2004 SE master, which was literally Christmas rushed. One of the only things the 2004 master has going for it is that it's the most detailed officially released master of the trilogy. http://fd.noneinc.com/savestarwarscom/s ... nfail.html
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Much as I hate to continue pushing things so far off-topic, I have to point out that DVD doesn't really have any resolution gain over Laserdisc, as I understand it; both should be 480i/30fps in NTSC, and 576i/25fps in PAL.
Maybe the horizontal resolution is the same with Laserdisc and DVD...but saying that 580 horizontal lines (Laserdisc) is equal to 704 horizontal lines (DVD) is...odd.
DVD isn't 704, it's 720...

Funny though, I always thought Laserdisc used an analogue system that meant it didn't really have a horizontal reoslution, it just had a number of lines and thus a vertical resolution.
Danfun64 wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote:The SE got a brand new remaster for 2004. The OOT should have gotten the same love and care
I'd argue that the 1993 Definitive Collection was done with more love back in its day than the 2004 SE master, which was literally Christmas rushed. One of the only things the 2004 master has going for it is that it's the most detailed officially released master of the trilogy. http://fd.noneinc.com/savestarwarscom/s ... nfail.html
Agreed. In my opinion, the best Star Wars transfer remains the 1997 SE. Unfortunately, they didn't assemble a version of the original at the same time as they did it, but as a sort of alternate "Director's cut", while it is inferior to the theatrical version, and the CG hasn't aged well, it looks gorgeous, and it's arguably the best sound mix the trilogy ever had.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.