How much of Dragon Ball do you actually think is good?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Re: How much of Dragon Ball do you actually think is good?

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:44 am

Great 9/10:Buu Arc(DBZ),Baby Arc(DBGT),FT Arc(DBS),Goku Jr Special(DBGT)

Very Good 8/10:Saiyan Arc(DBZ),Cell/Android Arc(DBZ),BOG Movie(DBZ)

Good 7/10:Namek/Friezer arc(DBZ),Black Star DB saga(DBGT),Shadow Dragon Saga(DBGT),Movie 12&13,Bardock Special,Trunks Special(DBZ),Movie 8

Fine 6/10:Super 17 Arc(DBGT),Movie 7,Movie 9,Movie 5

Mediocre 5/10:DB Minus,Garlic Jr saga(DBZ),BOG(DBS)

Bad 1-4/10:RoF Movie(DBZ)RoF Arc(DBS),Copy Vegeta episodes(DBS),U6(DBS),GT ep 7-14,TOP(DBS),Movie 2,3,4,6,10,11
GT Fighter

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am

I pretty much enjoy everything, warts and all, aside from GT and Minus.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 am

Classic Dragon Ball as a whole (DB, Z, GT, Specials, Movies)

Some of Modern Dragon Ball..
- Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
- Dragon Ball: The Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans
- Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
- Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast (Animated Cinematic Cutscenes)
- Dragon Ball Kai (w/ Original Broadcast Music by Kenji Yamamoto)
- Dragon Ball Super: Movie 1 - Broly

Yeah, I know, DBS Movie 1 is coming out later this year but already love everything I've seen from it.

Think this wraps it up.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:42 am

In Classic Dragon Ball Trilogy i enjoy everything :
- all Ten Arcs from Original Manga are pretty good in my opinion. they have Good writing, Nice plot, good Story, amazing atmosphere and lovable cast of characters along with kickass action. Toriyama's Artwork along with his panelling, and Choreography is some of the best in Anime/Manga Industry. the Art is Timeless and if Madhouse or Bones Adapt the Manga in 300 Episodes (by taking seasonal breaks or whatever) it will blow most of the ongoing anime out of the water.
- Dragon Ball Anime is Great, the fillers were a dragging the arc only in Red Ribbon Army arc other than that it's awesome adaptation.
- Dragon Ball Z Anime is good on its own but not as good as Part 1 due to its slow pacing and Fillers but the Japanese Audio makes it worth it.
- Dragon Ball GT Anime is Decent in my opinion, it had some Great concepts but for the most part execution was not as great as it could have been. still, Baby and Shadow Dragon arcs were stand out and we got an amazing ending to the franchise (until a new Movie came 16 years Later).
- All the 4 Dragon Ball Movies were fun to watch
- All the 13 Dragon Ball Z Movies were entertaining on their own, while none of them may be better than Canon arcs they are pretty entertaining in their own way.
- the 2 DBZ TV Specials were some of the Best things to come out of Dragon Ball Anime.
-Dragon Ball GT TV Special was also kinda heartwarming for me not anything great but pretty good.

In Modern Dragon Ball, i am not sure I like it that much :

- Dragon Ball Kai 1.0 is good but the Japanese acting wasn't as great as Z (though, the Kai dub was way better than original dub) and the Yamamoto score while catchy and interesting fits Video Games more, though i like it. the Insert songs are pretty good as well. i am not really the biggest fan of Toei Animation's remastering process, some of the re-drawn stuff looks awkward. overall i like it.

- Dragon Ball Kai 2.0 (The Final Chapters) - the Greenish tint was kinda awkward. the Japanese acting here was much better than DB Kai 1.0 but still Z one was better overall and dub was better than Boo arc dub in Z. Sumitomo Music was not that good, some tracks were good but overall it was a letdown compared to Kikuchi, Tokunaga and Yamamoto.

- Dragon Ball Super - Sub-par Cash cow of a show with the worst writing in the franchise and worst arcs ever. the characters regressed a lot, there is barely any story other than Goku Black arc. the plot is ranges from Mediocre to outright garbage. BoG arc is fine, even though dragged the fight is atleast better animated than Movie, RoF is a badly written arc to begin with and DBS tried to fix most of it but again it's a trash arc. Universe 6 Tournament arc was fine, the initial fights were mediocre but then fights in the second half were good, still it accomplished nothing other than entertainment. Goku Black arc in the starting episodes was good but then it started getting stupid and convulated mess with unnecessary going back
-and-forth between timeliness ruining all tension. they were trying to do another Cell arc only this time the ideas being cliched fanficky, asspulls being awful and time travel making no sense at all. atleast Cell arc had a very strong premise, good characters and their development, epic fights and themes to make it stand out. Zamasu is a pretentious God Complex character who doesn't make sense with his stupid motivation though his seiyuu is great, Goku Black is atleast more entertaining than Zamasu with his seiyuu doing a phenomenal job despite her age but still i wouldn't put Black or Zamasu over any of the Villains from original manga. the ending is even more stupid with Zeno Button crap and Trunks going to live in a timeline where they already have their doppelganger. Tournament of Power is one of the worst and most boring arcs I have ever seen, nonstop fight after fight after fight, boring, predictable af, nonsensical, garbage premise and i literally had to force myself to watch this mess of an arc which solidified in my mind why DBS is such a bad show. it has good animation and all here and there but it's plain trash. the only good Part about Dragon Ball Super is Filler Part (Except that Copy Vegeta trash). the Music was mediocre initially but it got better from Zamasu arc onwards and had cool Insert songs, OPs/EDs here and there. Yamamuro's plastic stiff designs and shiny looks were ugly to look. lack of Arai SFX made the fights feel bland.

Kairi Yajuu sums up Dragon Ball Super very well :

- Dragon Ball Z : Battle of Gods was an overall pretty good Movie. it has entertaining interactions here and there. Beerus and Whis were entertaining characters. everyone assembling together in a birthday party which gets ruined by a Cat God resulting in earth getting almost destroyed because of cat God not getting pudding was a very funny but fitting plot was Dragon Ball. Goku atleast humbles down after it and Super Saiyan God even though looked like a recolor Fan art was fine. the Insert Song was Fire though along with Shida's Cut and Sumitomo's Score was fine to me. having Arai SFX was awesome. Dub and Sub both were good.

- Dragon Ball Z : Resurrection "F" was an overall trash movie with stupid plot and writing and this was the start of Dragon Ball Franchise going downhill. Milking Freeza by bringing him back was a terrible idea, Goku and Vegeta getting a new form which was nothing but a lazy recolor was trash idea. Freeza asspulling his way into ranks of Gods in months of training doesn't make sense. SSJ Blue Goku sparing Freeza even after the events of Namek make no fucking sense, he isn't the same Goku from early DBZ anymore. him getting hurt by a finger Lazer despite attaining the Godly form is petty and stupid at the same time. Gods interfering into the fight to rescue everyone was what made this movie even more trash than what it already was. the Insert song in this movie was fucking awesome though i will give them that and OST was fine. atleast Arai SFX made fights watchable. Dub and Sub both were good.

- Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return was pretty good OVA in my opinion. the character interactions in Dragon Ball are always fun to watch. Kikuchi score along with Arai SFX gave it a very DBZ-esque feel. Art/Animation in it was Fluid and smooth and gave a light hearted feel, that's how we all imagined Modern Dragon Ball shows to look like.

Overall, Most of Modern Dragon Ball is a mixed bag to me.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30