Would you watch a kiddy animated Dragon Ball series similar to Star Wars Resistance?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Would you watch a kiddy animated Dragon Ball series similar to Star Wars Resistance?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_Ws7sA468

Can't say I would, that looks horrible in my opinion but it is targeted at children. I remember back before the 2000's studios used to put effort than make crap like this.

The original Inspector Gadget series compared to this could be considered a marvelous work of art for Western animation.

Dragon Ball Super looked good but its story just wasn't engaging to me, neither the characters.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you watch a kiddy animated Dragon Ball series similar to Star Wars Resistance?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Like the Cw4kids edit of DBZKai?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Would you watch a kiddy animated Dragon Ball series similar to Star Wars Resistance?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Dragon Ball itself is already targeted at children and always has been. The idea of a "more child-friendly" version of an already child-aimed series seems completely and totally redundant.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm

I haven't seen Resistance yet but I would watch anything with Dragon Ball (or Star Wars for that matter) in the title.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Look at the mirror and say it out loud- "I like cartoon targeted for children".

But yes, I'd watch everything made by Dave "ATLA and best of TCW" Filoni.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I haven't seen Resistance yet but I would watch anything with Dragon Ball (or Star Wars for that matter) in the title.
Even Dragon Ball Evolution?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Tian wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I haven't seen Resistance yet but I would watch anything with Dragon Ball (or Star Wars for that matter) in the title.
Even Dragon Ball Evolution?
I watched it, doesn't mean I liked it, just did so out of morbid curiosity.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Judging by the like/dislike ratio on that video, Nope.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:50 pm

I watch everything dragonball except db evolution so sure

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am

Nokra wrote:I watch everything dragonball except db evolution so sure
Ah, so not quite everything. This looks to be on the same level as DBE is, catastrophically bad.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:25 am

Star Wars: Resistance looks ugly, so I would not be interested in such a work.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Dragon Ball is my favorite Adult Cartoon for Mature Adults

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Dragon Ball itself is already targeted at children and always has been. The idea of a "more child-friendly" version of an already child-aimed series seems completely and totally redundant.
Yep. This right here. I don't know why it's so difficult to comprehend that Dragon Ball's main target audience is children.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:32 pm

I mean maybe the Extended Adventures of Kid Goku?

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Dragon Ball itself is already targeted at children and always has been. The idea of a "more child-friendly" version of an already child-aimed series seems completely and totally redundant.
This. Nothing more needs to be said.

Dragon Ball is, and always been, a children's cartoon.

The closest thing, I think, that probably be considered in that category would be that Dragon Ball SD manga (is it's still ongoing? I haven't seen updates on the main site, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough...); even then, the comedy of SD is no different than the actual manga... so yeah, there's no point.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Maybe. It'd have to be legit funny, and not a rehash of the previous series' except funnier

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Dragon Ball is already for kids unless you want a Kodomo DB series. Kodomo is like anime & manga for kids under the 1st grade.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I don't know why it's so difficult to comprehend that Dragon Ball's main target audience is children.
We've been doing this same tired-ass dance in Western anime fandom since the late 90s/early 2000s Cartoon Netwrok wave: people from that time on (many even to this day) have had a fundamentally VERY difficult time grasping the basic idea that Japan's baseline standards for children's television programming are in many ways dramatically more liberal and fundamentally more open and "risque" than that of North America and some other English territories: all that much more so in the 1970s through the 1990s, and a bit less so throughout the 2000s and 2010s. This means that shows in Japan that are indeed seen as appropriate for very small children will often contain content that in American culture would be seen as more teen to adult-aimed.

Let's note yet again: the following are all from anime of Weekly Shonen Jump series that ran alongside Dragon Ball in the 80s and 90s that were all ALSO seen as 100% perfectly suitable for gradeschool Japanese boys at one time or another.
My examples are generally on the much more extreme end of the spectrum, but nonetheless because of these cultural differences in terms of "what's seen as child-appropriate", many, many times has the post-CN fanbase of the 2000s and onward made the mistake (and of MUCH more comparatively benign and milquetoast titles than my own usual assortment) of thinking that anime that was originally intended and made for small children in Japan were actually made for teens or adults, simply because American television standards and practices would see them as such.

And let's not misunderstand: that certainly does not mean that there aren't ANY anime out there that were and are in fact made for and aimed at an an actual adult Japanese audience. There's certainly PLENTY of those indeed: its just that the likes of series such as DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Digimon, Yu Gi Oh, My Hero Academia, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, etc. are not at all those kinds of titles, despite their containing scenes of violence and/or sexuality that would immediately get them a TV-MA rating (or worse) in North America. But because our standards are so different, these shows that we would consider (in terms of content) more appropriate for a high school aged and higher audience over here are instead as kiddie-aimed in their native country as anything you'll see in America on channels like Disney XD and so forth.

The actual adult-aimed Japanese anime are often times a ZILLION times more beyond anything you'll see in even some of the harshest Shonen out there (on a narrative/thematic level AND on a graphic content level).
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Yep. This right here. I don't know why it's so difficult to comprehend that Dragon Ball's main target audience is children.
I think people don't want other people to make fun of them for liking a kids show. So they will be like "It's for teenagers!!!" which is not helping you to defend something you like. I seen people who are like that on sites like ANN, MAL and even real life when it comes to anime like Dragon Ball, Naruto, and One Piece. If your anime has happy meal toys at McDonald's, it's for kids.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Based on Kunzait's examples, it seems as though Japan doesn't make a distinction between "child material" or "adult material" based on levels of violence or risque material, so much as whether kids would be likely to appreciate and enjoy the story. Going by Japanese standards as I understand them, Les Misérables or The Grapes of Wrath would be considered adult stories in Japan because the average child would find them hideously boring to read, with the whole 'violence' axis mostly irrelevant. Or in other words, it's not possible for a story to be too violent or too scary for kids, but it is possible to be too dry or above their level of understanding. Something like that.

I guess that would be a more sensible way to make divisions. There's certainly stories that my classmates in elementary school would have found too dry or too dull and been unable to appreciate until they were older, but as for being scary? I'm about 100 percent sure that most of my six or seven year old classmates would have clapped and cheered and gotten excited at any of the gifs that he posted. :P I can't think of anyone from my kindergarten or first grade class who didn't think that Fatalities from Mortal Kombat were a lot of fun, myself not being an exception to that.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.