Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Post by Nokra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm

I'd say its pretty negative unfortunately. But what do you think?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm

It's awfully negative.
I've seen many bad communities, but none of them were as ignorant and misinformed as DB fans.
By misinformed i mean that people who call themselves a big DB fans have huge lack of knowledge about series, don't even knowing what is official and what is not.
There are communities like Five Night at Freddy's that are toxic to everyone outside of fandom, but DB community is the only one i know that is extremely toxic to each other.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm

I would say both, for the reasons stated by sunsetshimmer. Both halves of the fandom are having a ball whilst simultaneously hating the other half.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:28 pm

As bad as the Final Fantasy community and I know what I am talking about. That is my main community.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm

What's ironic about geek fandoms is you'd think they'd be more inclusive and understanding considering much of those fandoms are made up of people who are very often excluded and yet many of them do little but exclude others.

I don't know how to quantify any of this but my guess is that the percentage of toxic fans stays roughly the same regardless of the number of fans, but that does mean as the fandom grows, so does the number of douche bags.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 pm

In my experience, it's been more positive. But I haven't been especially "involved" in any significant way. :lol:

I think it's like any fandom, really... The more involved in it, the more you see the negatives and the more they'll impact your experience. Every fandom has its share of ignorance and arrogance, gatekeepers and trolls, unfortunately.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 pm

I mean yeah you get your in fandom fighting like Funi
Vs Japanese, Funi vs Ocean, Z vs Kai, Super vs GT but I never felt like this fandom was toxic. One of the more pleasant bunch really. Just strong opinions of the best version of something to watch

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 pm

What are gatekeepers? I've never heard of that term in this sort of context.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:36 pm

ABED wrote:What are gatekeepers? I've never heard of that term in this sort of context.
“You’re not a true fan because” type people

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 pm

ABED wrote:What are gatekeepers? I've never heard of that term in this sort of context.
Gatekeepers are the type of people who swoop in and say "Oh you're not a true fan" because of such-and-such reasons, like "you must have watched this amount" or "you're not a fan unless you've read the entire manga in Japanese" or "if you like the original Dragon Ball you hate Z", or "If you don't like Kikuche you don't like the whole series", that sort of thing. Typically the type of people they try to keep out of discussions and participation just so happen to have seen/read less than they have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I really appreciate how Kanzenshuu doesn't have this problem: while there are certain topics that are like "wrong audience", if you're a fan of the dub but show a healthy appreciation for the Japanese side of the franchise you'll be very welcome here.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 pm

I think it depends on the place (virtual or real) to go and be apart of this "fandom". It also depends on the age of the fans too, or maybe more so the maturity of the fans at a given place.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 am

It hasn't reached Star Wars levels of bad with blatant racism and misogyny, but it is definitely not welcoming to all people. So, yeah I'd say its bad.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:31 am

In terms of fandoms in general? I would say just a bit negative, but there's a loooooot worse.

In terms of just anime/manga fandoms? It's pretty high up there on being the worst.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 am

As far as anime fandoms go, it's up there with the worst, but it still it still isn't as toxic as the Star Wars fandom.

I don't recall anyone in this fandom relentlessly bullying DB voice actors off social media, or ruining a kid's life because they hated his performance in a movie.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 am

You know, while in general, taking in all the different avenues, I would agree and say it can dip into the negative. However, I truly think a lot of this has more to do with the anonymity of hiding behind a keyboard than anything else. People can be a lot meaner, a lot crueler and lot cruder when there's that promise of anonymity. Any time I have met DBZ fans in person such as at conventions, I have always felt extremely welcomed and truly enjoyed it. Heck, I remember one convention where a fan was contemplating suicide and all these strangers literally flocked to her side and convinced her to get help. Even in panels where they compare Dub vs Japanese or Ocean vs FUNi, there was still this overall sense of respect when you are looking someone in the face. So, I blame the internet more than the fandom itself.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:32 am

It's the least bad fandom I've ever had the misfortune of interacting with.

In particular, we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to the Kanzenshuu team, as well as the crowd at r/dbz who prioritize their information, that it's not the shitshow it could be.

Reactions get out of hand sometime, but this really is not the kind of negative community--and I extend that to the greater longterm fanbase--that such a massive pop-culture series with a divisive history could be.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:20 pm

it's definitely bad. the fans are the most divided in this Fandom. we have fans who hear something on internet and parrot the same opinions on internet without really thinking much about it and it totally kills the discussion. then there are the DB haters-cum-fan who hate the show itself and think it's a badly written franchise and only good thing is art and fights that's it. then some of the DBS apologist who watch some videos on YouTube like the one on power levels by Plagueofgripes and start using the "you love Z because of nostalgia but it was shit from start" and start downplaying Original Run. many make fun of anyone who thinks there is depth/complexity or nuances in Original manga and they are made fun of because they think Dragon Ball can never have depth since Toriyama never talks about it. then the Dub fans even till this day defending why Z dub is great English adaptation and why Kai sucked. then there are the powerscaling fans who don't understand that there is a thing called narrative and story as well and dbz isn't some maths multiplier game where all that matters is numbers. overall, DB Fandom hates the show more Non-DB fans do specially the DBZ part because they assume that just because they liked it as a child that means it's shitty show. also, many have this stereotype of Toriyama being a synonym of bad writer, i mean he's old now and can't write good stuff nowdays but to say that all of his original manga is badly written is ignorant. to me personally DB fans very badly over-exxagerate the "Bad writing" of like Last 200 chapters and nowdays its like this common meme that DB after Namek is garbage writing and all. i personally don't think it's this bad that it affects the overall narrative so much.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Toxic, I'd say. There's a certain torrent website that things get completely out of hand and seriously, what the fuck. They are all guys in their 20's, 30's and probably 40's yet behave like kids without their precious toy.. sigh. I'm just so tired of that. I do wish those fucking manchilds would grow the fuck up but they don't.

Kanzenshuu compared to that, it's relatively a civilized place.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 pm

It can be both. When it comes to being negative though, it's nowhere near the level of the Sonic the Hedgehog fandom.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 pm

It really depends. There are a bunch of good fans, for sure.

Then there's ones that give Narutards a run for their money.