Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:57 pm

It isn't anymore good or bad than other fandoms but there is a strong sense of entitlement to the property due to its mainstream appeal. I still consider that form of entitlement to be utter nonsense.

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: Overall Would You Say The Dragonball Fandom Is Positive Or Negative Compared To Other Fandoms?

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Well that’s just silly
I haven't watch Venom but I heard Tom Hardy is entertaining in this.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Whoops I meant Tom Holland.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Spider-Man wrote:I haven't watch Venom but I heard Tom Hardy is entertaining in this.
It's not the best movie, but Hardy was extremely entertaining and his banter with Venom was great. Now that the boring origin story and such is over and we have those 2 as a sort of buddy-cop duo, I really want a sequel.
____

But yeah Holland best Spidey.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 pm

It's about the same, I'd say. EVERY fandom I've ever gone to has it's positives and negatives; just like human beings in general.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

It's easily one of the worst I've participated in, though not as bad as Star Wars (as others have noted). We can have pretty civil discussion here and on /r/dbz so that's something.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: like who's the best Spiderman, which movie adaptation was the best etc..
Well that’s just silly
You mean Tom Holland? Tom Hardy is Venom. I'm more of a Tobey Maguire guy myself but Tom Holland does do an excellent job to his credit.

To stay on topic I'll say that the DB fandom is balanced out by having its share of friendly fans too. Even Youtube which is infamous for the arguments has plenty of open minded fans.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:04 pm

90sDBZ wrote: You mean Tom Holland? Tom Hardy is Venom. I'm more of a Tobey Maguire guy myself but Tom Holland does do an excellent job to his credit.
Yes I meant Holland. I corrected myself up above. They shouldn't have their names so goddamn similar. It's like the Chris thing.

You're a nice guy so I'll keep my opinions of Tobey Maguire to myself.

. Even Youtube which is infamous for the arguments has plenty of open minded fans.
Really? I'd say the Youtube comments are just under IGN board and Gamefaq forum for the cesspool of the Dragon Ball fandom.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Really? I'd say the Youtube comments are just under IGN board and Gamefaq forum for the cesspool of the Dragon Ball fandom.
There's some toxic fans on there for sure, but there's also a good amount who aren't like that. At least it seems that way more recently.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Logania wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:I haven't watch Venom but I heard Tom Hardy is entertaining in this.
It's not the best movie, but Hardy was extremely entertaining and his banter with Venom was great. Now that the boring origin story and such is over and we have those 2 as a sort of buddy-cop duo, I really want a sequel.
____

But yeah Holland best Spidey.
Oh I see so Hardy is the highlights in this glad to see a good version of Venom and agreed Tom Holland is the best Spiderman.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Fionordequester wrote:It's about the same, I'd say. EVERY fandom I've ever gone to has it's positives and negatives; just like human beings in general.
Pretty much this, I believe there is no such thing as the perfect fandom or bad ones just bad fans and good ones
Mostly active on discord.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:32 pm

It’s the worst one I’ve sneak around related to manga/anime products .
Sometimes it remind me some sport teams fandoms where the rival team fans come to troll for fun
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am

DB twitter fandom is awful , like 99% manchildren who think they are gods gift to humanity cause they know "x amount" about db and people with opposing opinions get ridiculed and its worse than other anime fandom accounts i follow on twitter. Kanzenshuu and reddit seem pretty cool. NForums is pretty fun, mostly just people shitposting and memeing but nothing mean spirited in most cases

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 am

I will say I LOVE THE DRAGON BALL FANDOM! It is the best! As long as you DO NOT LEAVE Kanzenshuu!!!

I say this because its the one fandom and community where I never felt like a stranger, even if we arent friends or even agree with other the mods make it so discussion and talking is always civil and fun.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:54 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote:DB twitter fandom is awful , like 99% manchildren who think they are gods gift to humanity cause they know "x amount" about db and people with opposing opinions get ridiculed and its worse than other anime fandom accounts i follow on twitter. Kanzenshuu and reddit seem pretty cool. NForums is pretty fun, mostly just people shitposting and memeing but nothing mean spirited in most cases
I'm not sure what parts of DB twitter you're on. From what I've seen it's mostly just a mix of informative tweets and memes. Never gotten into, nor even really seen a serious fight of any kind on there.

I do still like Kanzenshuu though.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:21 am

Cipher wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:DB twitter fandom is awful , like 99% manchildren who think they are gods gift to humanity cause they know "x amount" about db and people with opposing opinions get ridiculed and its worse than other anime fandom accounts i follow on twitter. Kanzenshuu and reddit seem pretty cool. NForums is pretty fun, mostly just people shitposting and memeing but nothing mean spirited in most cases
I'm not sure what parts of DB twitter you're on. From what I've seen it's mostly just a mix of informative tweets and memes. Never gotten into, nor even really seen a serious fight of any kind on there.
I think they're talking about the "normie" jokes you see tweeted out occasionally. I think the DB fandom has a reputation of being way worse than it actually is, but I will admit that I haven't never seen such a divide between those who claim to really know the franchise and those who have a more casual attitude towards as big as in this community.
But yeah, most of the fan content on twitter is made up of just harmless memes and jokes. Even debates tend to be pretty tame compared to what you'd imagine. The most heated I've seen things get was during the tracing debacle a couple of months ago.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:35 am

It's up there in terms of overall denial, fanboyism and stupidity

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 am

The biggest problem with the DB fandom is how segregated it really is. For example, let’s compare it to something similar like another big anime fandom, the Naruto fandom. The absolute biggest difference between the two is the almost forced division of sub and dub watchers.

Dragon Ball tends to have a LOT more arguments/fights/BS involving dubs, subs, what you should watch (canon), “you aren’t a real fan,” and so on. Let’s say there’s a die-hard fan of Dragon Ball, but he only watches the dub and doesn’t know anything about the sub. Then you have a fan who watches it subbed but doesn’t care about the dub. Because of how Funimation handled and changed DB, these two people are technically fans of two different shows, but are also in the same DB fandom. They, If they were to ever cross paths on the internet or wherever, won’t be able to communicate properly about the series other than the most barebones of “omg I liked it when Goku turned Super Saiyan.”

This divides the fandom in a way a series like Naruto does not. A dub watcher and sub watcher of Naruto CAN communicate properly about the series and its themes, characters, and dare I even say it, its music. This is not the case with Dragon Ball. We are so split to the core that it makes it hard to have civil, and more importantly, MEANINGFUL conversations with each other without one side sounding like a prick to the other. Whether it’s sub fans constantly correcting others saying stuff like “well, actually in the Japanese version it was like this” or dub fans going “grandma Goku SUCKS, I can’t believe people like her,” the arguments will never end. It also doesn’t help that one side has a majority of the fans, the English dub side, and the other has the minority, the sub side. This can lead to people claiming that sub fans are elitists and weebs, and sub fans claiming that dub fans are just nostalgia blind and don’t know any better. Nobody wins.

THIS is the reason the DB fandom seems more toxic than other fandoms. Every fandom, including DB, has their story debates, this arc is better than this arc, this character sucks while this one is cool, and so on. Even stuff like fanboys and whatnot are in every single fandom ever to exist. DB is special because we have a legitimate problem when it comes to the very basics of fandom interaction. Some of us literally cannot communicate with each other properly to even GET to those other, typical arguments you see in every fandom. It’s funny how that is a desirable goal.

Now, can sub and dub fans get along? Sure, of course they can. In a way, Dragon Ball Super has united us and helped ever so slightly fix that huge “sub vs dub” shit stain on this fandom. It’s also not completely impossible that a dub only fan will be willing to listen to a sub fan on how the series was altered for English audiences, and quite possibly give the Japanese version a shot after. I’ve seen it happen many times lately. But I will be completely honest with myself, I would rather pretend I know nothing about Dragon Ball than try to talk to a strictly dub only viewer about Dragon Ball. It’s just easier that way. Me having to just ignore all the dub changes and resist the urge to correct, and the other not having to hear my bullshit on how he watches a wrong version of the show, now that just sounds like a chore.

Even though I said all of that, it’s not all terrible. I honestly think it genuinely has gotten better since Super has aired. A lot of dub only fans have come to understand the characters and their original intent better, come to understand that Goku isn’t some Superman clone (Minus go away please), and come to accept that this is a legitimate version of DB that they can enjoy. Some have switched over to being sub fans. Some now enjoy both equally. And then there are some dub fans that still will only watch it dubbed, but have come to understand the mistakes Funimation made with the English dubs and the big differences between the two versions. The fanbase, even with all the crap you still see, is at a better place than it was before Super. At least I can say that much.

I don’t know if my rambling even makes much sense to anyone here, but this is why I think the Dragon Ball fandom seems to have a more toxic fanbase than most. If you take away the “sub vs dub “stuff, it just turns into any other fanbase. Actually, it might be better than most other fanbases without it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 pm

It was always kinda negative but imo it was never this bad before TFS became “mainstream DB” for casual fans and the series revival with Battle of Gods.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:It was always kinda negative but imo it was never this bad before TFS became “mainstream DB” for casual fans and the series revival with Battle of Gods.
As someone who got into the series via those two things, that sounds a wee bit like gatekeeping to me. How exactly has that made it worse?