So I watched an episode of the Westwood dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: So I watched an episode of the Westwood dub

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:40 am

ABED wrote:It's not so much pro-Morrow as it is anti-Kelamis.
Why do you hate Kelamis so much?
ABED wrote:And would people please stop bringing up TFS "actors"?
What's this about?

Besides that, DBZA's TFS has opened the doors for those fan-dubbers/parody-dubbers to make genuine dubs for shows and be paid for it so they're all as real as the next VAs. No need to disrespect them. You don't need to like them but at least have some god damn respect for them.

Peter Kelamis and the TFS cast have likely accomplished far more than you did while you're just ranting about 'em here.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:18 am

Tian wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: As far as music and censorship. Personally I never got why kids shows had an aversion to the word kill. But “destroy” is better than send to the next dimension or hurt or defeat.
I always found censorship in the U.S a bit ironic. It's like locally produced cartoons can say die or kill but anime dubs like this one have to replace those words with lame euphemisms. I don't really get it. :eh:
That’s not true though. Most cartoons of that era dubbed or domestically produced shied away from saying death or kill. It wasn’t a double standard with imported Japan cartoons. Batman TAS using die and kill was the exception not the norm (and even it sometimes used lingo like iced and bumped off and take care of)

And like Abed said Saban was already pretty conservative back then. And really 1996 they were probably at their worse that was around the height of them sanitizing Power Rangers and their other shows as much as possible in response to the backlash Mighty Morphin Power Rangers recieved

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am

Speaking of censorship it's funny how in the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas they began referencing death all of a sudden. It made the sudden jump in quality that much better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 am

I don't hate Kelamis, I just found his performance really annoying from day 1 and my opinion hasn't changed over time.
What's this about?

Besides that, DBZA's TFS has opened the doors for those fan-dubbers/parody-dubbers to make genuine dubs for shows and be paid for it so they're all as real as the next VAs. No need to disrespect them. You don't need to like them but at least have some god damn respect for them.

Peter Kelamis and the TFS cast have likely accomplished far more than you did while you're just ranting about 'em here.
That wasn't really a rant. It's an opinion just like everyone else has made. Also, I never wanted to be an actor, so of course they've accomplished more than me in that arena. I've seen Kelamis in live action roles and he's fine, including as a human supremacist in iZombie, one of my favorite shows. I just don't like his Goku.

Maybe I did disrespect them, I don't think so. I don't consider any of that to be acting. TFS is such a garbage product. If you like it, that's great, it's not my taste. That said, I stand by my statement that what they do isn't acting. It's a parody full of very random jokes. I find no aesthetic merit in what they do. Not sure why you think that's disrespectful. If they made a living on what they do, okay, great, but I don't think they're funny at all or that series to contain anything I would consider acting. Acting is BEING that character, but TFS isn't about conveying character and story. It's a bunch of jokes strung together.

Even though from what I've read the Westwood production was rushed, it's hard for me to comprehend why the performances are that much worse.
Last edited by ABED on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 am

ABED wrote:I don't hate Kelamis, I just found his performance really annoying from day 1 and my opinion hasn't changed over time.
I like Kelamis’s Goku but I get it the surfer dude voice could be a bit much depending on taste

As for TFS, humor is super subjective but they haven’t really been “ jokes strung together” since season one. The early episodes are especially hard to watch. But if you don’t like them you don’t like them *shrug*

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 am

I don't consider that acting anymore than I would consider sketch comedy like SNL to be acting.

Back to the Westwood dub, who would you guys consider to be the most consistent from the Ocean dub days?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am

NitroEX wrote: Seems a bit of a weird criticism to make. She's doing her own Gohan voice but adjusted to be older sounding - as Gohan is older in the Westwood dub. This reminds me of people saying Bang Zoom Goku was imitating Schemmel when he clearly wasn't?
Like I said she only had two lines in the episode I watched so it wasn’t really enough for a fair judgment. I would need to watch a Westwood episode where she has a more sizable role
Oh and Trunks voice is really bad. Eric Vale is also pretty bad (I hate to be THAT guy but Kaiserneko’s Trunks is my favorite English Trunk even for a parody its one of the few voices I think would work in a serious setting) but seriously the hell is with Ocean Trunk’s voice and performance? Made me think of really bad Hong Kong dubs
I really don't understand this criticism. Abell's Trunks is far from terrible, there are only a handful of scenes I could point to where I felt he was off (some of the Android saga & Imperfect Cell saga yells) but for the most part he's a fitting voice that continues to improve.

It’s a horrible sounding voice with really bad delivery to me.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: And the Funi dub at the time wasn't? (Nevermind the Big Green...) This feels like an exaggeration to me.
The Funi in-house dub was still pretty bad at that time too. People are either more forgiving because of nostalgia or the Faulconer music blares out the bad acting. For whatever issues Ocean had from what I can tell Mcneil and Drummond were as good as ever and I’ll take Kelamis being Michaelangelo over Schemmel’s super duper serious voice.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:What's this about?

Just because they made a parody of somethings and it turned out to be popular doesn't mean i have to blindly respect them. They never did anything majorly positive for the community or something along those lines, if anything their rise has negatively influenced the community as a whole through tons of misconceptions and unfunny overdone references

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:58 am

ABED wrote:I don't consider that acting anymore than I would consider sketch comedy like SNL to be acting.

Back to the Westwood dub, who would you guys consider to be the most consistent from the Ocean dub days?
Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond, of course.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't consider that acting anymore than I would consider sketch comedy like SNL to be acting.

Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond, of course.
I'll add that Doc Harris was still a good narrator.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:It’s a horrible sounding voice with really bad delivery to me.
Well, he did get a lot better in the end of the dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:The music is better than I thought. Obviously if you compare it directly to the Kikuchi score it sounds like cheap garbage but on its own its inoffensive somewhat bland Saturday morning cartoon music that doesn’t distract from the show (which the Faulconer score totally did in my opinion)
This is why I've always preferred Keenlyside and Mitchell's score to Faulconer Productions. While it can't hold a candle to the custom made well produced Kikuchi score, Dragon Ball is, at its heart, a gag manga so by extension a fun saturday morning cartoon type score is a better fit than a score which tries too hard to appeal to edgy youths. Obviously the placement has problems and it wasn't intended for the show but I'd say the end result was enough of a happy accident for me.
I feel like the original Saban era replacement music found a middle ground between fun saturday morning cartoon music and edgy music, which is why I prefer it over both Faulconer and the Anitunes score. It's not to say there isn't any serious stuff on the Anitunes score, but it just has more of an 80s horror vibe rather than the edgy rock vibe Faulconer and Saban had
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub