Orange Bricks/Blu-Ray Comparisons

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Orange Bricks/Blu-Ray Comparisons

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am

The Level Blu-rays were certainly taking a lot of precious time and money and when comparing to the Season Blu-rays, it was made more or less in flight mode without FUNimation having to care about either aspects. Strangely enough, FUNimation spent time on remastering properly DB Movies 1-4 but screwed up Movie 2 because of the fps or it's what they had to work with, anyway.

DB Movie 1 is a tad too saturated and dark but I'd still take that over the TOEI remaster though it does look better and shows far more details which were lost on FUNi's remaster.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 pm

nato25 wrote:Hi Uzuni, this is a cool project. I reviewed about half the blu ray sets and did my best to take some comparison shots for the reviews as i owned both the blurays and orange bricks.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... ay-review/ (this one uses an off cam screenshot, but its a great example of how much the cropping improved)

Then I finally figured out how to get Blu-ray screenshots (which is not easy at all!) I've used actual screen caps for the below ones, you can see them inside the review, sorry I don't have the raw images anymore. The resolution bump is just astounding to me, the DVD's look like total crap in comparison with how blurry they are.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... -7-review/

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... -8-review/

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... -9-review/
Not the fairest comparison. If you had access to the web uploads of the OB footage in HD (like uzuni apparently does) then you'd have a fairer comparison. I don't know if FuniNow still has that footage up or not though.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Yeah my reviews were comparing dvd footage played through VLC on a PC vs bluray footage played through PowerDVD on a PC. If there is HD Orange Brick footage on a streaming service, I dont know about it, as I've never watched Dragon Ball that way (outside of Super).

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
nato25 wrote:Hi Uzuni, this is a cool project. I reviewed about half the blu ray sets and did my best to take some comparison shots for the reviews as i owned both the blurays and orange bricks.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... ay-review/ (this one uses an off cam screenshot, but its a great example of how much the cropping improved)

Then I finally figured out how to get Blu-ray screenshots (which is not easy at all!) I've used actual screen caps for the below ones, you can see them inside the review, sorry I don't have the raw images anymore. The resolution bump is just astounding to me, the DVD's look like total crap in comparison with how blurry they are.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... -7-review/

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... -8-review/

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/drag ... -9-review/
Not the fairest comparison. If you had access to the web uploads of the OB footage in HD (like uzuni apparently does) then you'd have a fairer comparison. I don't know if FuniNow still has that footage up or not though.
I took those screens yesterday.

Funimation's English streams are from the Blu-rays at 1080p (with Japanese music), while their Japanese streams are from the OBs at 480p.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I should also note that their Japanese streams for Seasons 8 and 9 are Dragon Box footage!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:33 pm

uzuni wrote:I should also note that their Japanese streams for Seasons 8 and 9 are Dragon Box footage!
FUNimation is in possession of Dragon Box footage for Z and GT so it could just be a matter of time before they re-release Z properly.

Edit: Apparently, they also have Dragon Box: The Movies but never released.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
uzuni wrote:I should also note that their Japanese streams for Seasons 8 and 9 are Dragon Box footage!
FUNimation is in possession of Dragon Box footage for Z and GT so it could just be a matter of time before they re-release Z properly.

Edit: Apparently The Movies Dragon Box, too.
That would explain why their Japanese streams for DBGT are also Dragon Box footage.

Any particular reason why they're not in possession of the Dragon Ball Dragon Box?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:24 pm

uzuni wrote:their Japanese streams are from the OBs at 480p.
ONLY at 480p, huh? Damn, I honestly thought the footage online was higher res than that, as the OB footage is claimed to have been mastered at 1080p.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:14 pm

uzuni wrote:Any particular reason why they're not in possession of the Dragon Ball Dragon Box?
Good question. No answer.

Although, FUNi's original DB Singles look really good and with a lot of picture you can see — It was the Blue Bricks that zoomed in and we lost a fair amount of it but still nowhere near as bad as the Orange Bricks were.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
uzuni wrote:their Japanese streams are from the OBs at 480p.
ONLY at 480p, huh? Damn, I honestly thought the footage online was higher res than that, as the OB footage is claimed to have been mastered at 1080p.
It was mastered at 1080p. However, even if it was mastered that way, it was compressed to 480p onto the DVDs. So edited/masted at 1080p but exported and compressed to 480p. The source files are HD but not the consumer copies.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 am

Attitudefan wrote: It was mastered at 1080p. However, even if it was mastered that way, it was compressed to 480p onto the DVDs. So edited/masted at 1080p but exported and compressed to 480p. The source files are HD but not the consumer copies.
That's one way of saying the same thing thrice. :P Even if the OBs were available in high definition as they were originally mastered in, it would still look like shit.

The Season BDs aren't much of an improvement but slightly are.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 am

I guess my point is, the screenshots of OB Episode 118 and Episode 129 look like they have the same level of resolution/detail as the BD footage (with the BD footage appearing to have worse line art and ...different colors. Not sure which of the two releases is more accurate to the original footage), and the Funimation logo looks the same on both the OB and the BD images. Was upscaling involved at all or something?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I guess my point is, the screenshots of OB Episode 118 and Episode 129 look like they have the same level of resolution/detail as the BD footage (with the BD footage appearing to have worse line art and ...different colors. Not sure which of the two releases is more accurate to the original footage), and the Funimation logo looks the same on both the OB and the BD images. Was upscaling involved at all or something?

The only reason the resolution is 1080p on those images is because I screenshotted them from my 1920 by 1080 display. The streams themselves are 480p (in Japanese).

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm

And I agree. Season 4 (and the remainder) look better on the OB footage.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:25 pm

I've compiled what I think is enough images from SEASON 3 to have conclusive evidence as to which variant is better.

Episode 75
Episode 85
Episode 96
Episode 107

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:35 pm

uzuni wrote:http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gokuanduub.jpg

That just looks atrocious.
I'm confused, whats wrong with that image there?

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Both releases are not that great but the Z Blu-Rays look 10 times better then the orange bricks.
The Blu-rays looks so blurry with all the line-art smudged. The Blu-ray's images are completely smeared to the point entire episodes are visually destroyed.
If you're talking about the zoomed out shots and the majority of season 5 then ya I agree with you.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 pm

uzuni wrote:I've compiled what I think is enough images from SEASON 3 to have conclusive evidence as to which variant is better.

Episode 75
Episode 85
Episode 96
Episode 107
If you turned down the contrast levels of the Orange Bricks on Avidemux or some other video editing software I'm pretty sure what you would get is the Blu-Rays
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:39 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:
uzuni wrote:I've compiled what I think is enough images from SEASON 3 to have conclusive evidence as to which variant is better.

Episode 75
Episode 85
Episode 96
Episode 107
If you turned down the contrast levels of the Orange Bricks on Avidemux or some other video editing software I'm pretty sure what you would get is the Blu-Rays
True. The Blu-rays are nearly identical to the DVDs with some minor tweaks.

It's funny people think the Season BDs are that much better when it's a tiny improvement anyone could have done.

Ah, Amazon reviews.. :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:31 am

If that is streamed footage, then I don't think it's a good idea to use it for the Orange Bricks, because unless things have changed since I last compared them, they're a bit blurrier and brighter than the DVDs.

I'll get some shots later to see if that's the case still or not.

I do remember off hand some episodes of "Season 3" on Blu-ray had a strong purple tint to them that wasn't on the Blu-rays, and a bunch of later season episodes which are so out of focus on the Blu-rays that the Orange Bricks end up looking sharper.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash