What happened to Stephanie Nadolny? (Gohan voice actor)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: What happened to Stephanie Nadolny? (Gohan voice actor)

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 am

KBABZ wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Well first off her Gohan was terrible, only her kid Goku was vaguely acceptable.
Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
Well, I'm pretty sure his point was that she's not voicing them anymore because it wasn't a good performance. I know you're a Nadolny fan, but try not to let that cloud things up here. No one knows why she isn't voicing them for sure, so this topic's existence is basically all about conjecture. And the idea that her performances weren't good is a common one.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Well first off her Gohan was terrible, only her kid Goku was vaguely acceptable.
Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
Well, I'm pretty sure his point was that she's not voicing them anymore because it wasn't a good performance. I know you're a Nadolny fan, but try not to let that cloud things up here. No one knows why she isn't voicing them for sure, so this topic's existence is basically all about conjecture. And the idea that her performances weren't good is a common one.
That is a very cute narrative you're spinning there.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
That is a very cute narrative you're spinning there.
I'm sorry? Is it not a common opinion? I didn't say the majority felt that way, nor am I trying to spin a narrative. Lost of people don't like Nadolny's performance, or at the very least don't think her voices fit the ages of their respective characters.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Considering he went off and posted his actual theory as to why she doesn't voice him anymore, I think it's clear he was just getting off an opportunity to bash her
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
Considering he went off and posted his actual theory as to why she doesn't voice him anymore, I think it's clear he was just getting off an opportunity to bash her
He clearly said "Second," meaning it was one of his theories. Why are you people so opposed to criticism?

"She's gone because she sucked" is a perfectly valid reason to feel she's gone, it shouldn't be taken personally.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm

I don’t recall people having really spoken much about Nadolny’s performance in a negative light prior to her recasting, so I don’t know if I buy the narrative that she was recast people hated her performance, especially since her Goku was arguably less controversial than Sean Schemmel’s. I’m not saying she was universally loved or anything, but she certainly didn’t seem to get as much heat as Linda Young or even Sean Schemmel. I think it’s possible that her recasting could’ve been as simple as Chris Sabat preferring Colleen Clinkenbeard in the role, but I seriously doubt it was due to fans insisting that she be replaced.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm

The “Nadolny was replaced because her performance was terrible” theory really holds no water because, again, they were all set to let Linda Young reprise her role as Freeza for Kai. It seemed they were intent to keep as many people as possible aside from Sabat giving up some of his 8000 bit parts

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Well, I'm pretty sure his point was that she's not voicing them anymore because it wasn't a good performance. I know you're a Nadolny fan, but try not to let that cloud things up here. No one knows why she isn't voicing them for sure, so this topic's existence is basically all about conjecture. And the idea that her performances weren't good is a common one.
He clearly said "Second," meaning it was one of his theories. Why are you people so opposed to criticism?

"She's gone because she sucked" is a perfectly valid reason to feel she's gone, it shouldn't be taken personally.
"First of all" was presented as an entirely separate point in response to OP saying he liked her performance. It reads pretty clearly to me.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: Considering he went off and posted his actual theory as to why she doesn't voice him anymore, I think it's clear he was just getting off an opportunity to bash her

"First of all" was presented as an entirely separate point in response to OP saying he liked her performance. It reads pretty clearly to me.
I took that as 2 different reasons he felt she might not be around. But if not, apologies.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Hey uh guys? If I've communicated it poorly I'm sorry, but I'll decide what I mean by something, thanks.

Look, I really don't mind Nadolny's Goku at all. I even think she was genuinely okay when she was actually in OK KO. But her Gohan is raspy and poorly-performed and bad. I think whoever was casting on Kai knew that. Heck, whether you like her actual voice or not, I think it's clear that Clinkenbeard's delivery is more intentional and directed. Same goes for Linda Young's chain smoker Freeza, and hell, a lot of the current cast pre-Kai. Sabat's surfer Yamcha from classic DB is insufferable.

Not everything needs to have a "WHY DO YOU HATE THIS SO MUCH YOU MONSTER" response, guys. I don't hate Nadolny, her Gohan just happens to be terrible-sounding enough that it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was part of the reason she was replaced.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Shaddy wrote:Hey uh guys? If I've communicated it poorly I'm sorry, but I'll decide what I mean by something, thanks.

Look, I really don't mind Nadolny's Goku at all. I even think she was genuinely okay when she was actually in OK KO. But her Gohan is raspy and poorly-performed and bad. I think whoever was casting on Kai knew that. Heck, whether you like her actual voice or not, I think it's clear that Clinkenbeard's delivery is more intentional and directed. Same goes for Linda Young's chain smoker Freeza, and hell, a lot of the current cast pre-Kai. Sabat's surfer Yamcha from classic DB is insufferable.

Not everything needs to have a "WHY DO YOU HATE THIS SO MUCH YOU MONSTER" response, guys. I don't hate Nadolny, her Gohan just happens to be terrible-sounding enough that it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was part of the reason she was replaced.
This is entirely what I thought you meant. Sorry if I was speaking for you there for a while. I just don't like those "You don't share my opinion, therefore your views don't belong here" comments, which is what the responses to you seemed to be saying.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Forte224 wrote:This is entirely what I thought you meant. Sorry if I was speaking for you there for a while. I just don't like those "You don't share my opinion, therefore your views don't belong here" comments, which is what the responses to you seemed to be saying.
I don't like them either, but I didn't really like how earlier it was just thrown in there for seemingly no reason other than the core subject. Shaddy had a much better second take, which I appreciate.

Also I apologize if my favouritism for Nadolny got in the way of the conversation. Her performance as Kid Goku for me is what I hear in my head regarding the character considering how ingrained that performance was to my childhood, similar to how for a lot of people Mark Hamill just is the Joker over Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson. And I am genuinely curious as to why she, similar to Tiffany Vollmer, is just not used anymore. I do agree however that her take on Kid Gohan sounds weird, but I've always attributed that to me watching Dragon Ball a lot more than DBZ and my personal bias was the reason.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 am

WittyUsername wrote: All I know is that Sean Schemmel didn’t care for her performance, since I recall a tweet from years ago where he bluntly stated that he doesn’t miss her as Gohan.
I'm sorry, don't mind me, but I got a chuckle out of this one. Did he give a detailed analysis of why he didn't miss her Gohan, or are we just serving hypocrite soup all around? Dude comes off so arrogant and then legit gets mad at people who give him negative feedback. Meanwhile, he sure doesn't mind giving out his own negative feedback to others. "One, true Goku" pfft.

Anyway... I'm sorry, just couldn't help myself.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:34 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote: All I know is that Sean Schemmel didn’t care for her performance, since I recall a tweet from years ago where he bluntly stated that he doesn’t miss her as Gohan.
I'm sorry, don't mind me, but I got a chuckle out of this one. Did he give a detailed analysis of why he didn't miss her Gohan, or are we just serving hypocrite soup all around? Dude comes off so arrogant and then legit gets mad at people who give him negative feedback. Meanwhile, he sure doesn't mind giving out his own negative feedback to others. "One, true Goku" pfft.

From what I remember, someone said that they miss Nadolny’s Gohan, to which Schemmel responded with a simple “I don’t”.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:

From what I remember, someone said that they miss Nadolny’s Gohan, to which Schemmel responded with a simple “I don’t”.
No, that's all fine, but if someone said or implied that they didn't like his Goku, he'd get all upset and demand a detailed explanation as to why. I mean it's happened and he even said as much on interviews. Meanwhile, he has this little moment regarding Nadolny and has spoken down about other performances. But hey, he admits that he can come off as a jerk. As long as you admit it, it's okay. Because if he wasn't a dick when he wants to be, he wouldn't be honest -- that's what he said, right? I don't know... Something pretty smug and arrogant there. I just found the idea of him adding fuel to the Nadolny fire to be funny, when he gets all upset when he gets criticized.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:56 am

I don't know. Some say her and Chris didn't get along. I miss her Gohan (even though its not very loved) and Goku. No offense to Colleen but I never say appeal to her Gohan/Goku
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:34 am

The Patrolman wrote:I don't know. Some say her and Chris didn't get along. I miss her Gohan (even though its not very loved) and Goku. No offense to Colleen but I never say appeal to her Gohan/Goku
Mostly the appeal is she doesn’t sound like she buys cigarettes in bulk

Nadolny vs Clinkenbeard debates ignores the fact that neither of them are really any good

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if her run ins with the law have impeded her ability to have a career. I'm actually surprised she got that OK K.O. gig, but I guess they figured she cleaned up her act ... then it happened again and it seems she was replaced shortly after.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.