What happened to Stephanie Nadolny? (Gohan voice actor)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

What happened to Stephanie Nadolny? (Gohan voice actor)

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm

I've heard tales that Sabat and her tend to have beef with each other, and she hasn't been the voice actor for Gohan for a while, much to my dismay as I absolutely loved her performances.

Does anyone know why she isn't the voice actor anymore? Was it due to issues with Sabat?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What happened to Stephanie Nadolny? (Gohan voice actor)

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Well first off her Gohan was terrible, only her kid Goku was vaguely acceptable.

Second, I seem to recall something about her getting multiple DUIs, and I'm pretty that's part of the reason Courtney Taylor replaced her for the most part on OK KO, so it could be that.
Last edited by Shaddy on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm

An official reason has never been given. Only speculation and rumors.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I thought she just retired from voice acting.

Sabat spoke well of her in the Dead Zone commentary at least so I doubt he had beef with.

At any rate I’m glad she left. Her Gohan was ear bleeding bad. And her kid Goku may have been more suitable it still grated on the ears.

Masako Nozawa she aint. She’s not even Saffron Henderson level

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Shaddy wrote:Well first off her Gohan was terrible
That's obviously your opinion and not a fact, which kind of seems like you were trying to say as a fact even though it isn't.

I'm no fan of her Gohan but far from "terrible."
MasenkoHA wrote:At any rate I’m glad she left. Her Gohan was ear bleeding bad. And her kid Goku may have been more suitable it still grated on the ears.

Masako Nozawa she aint. She’s not even Saffron Henderson level
I'd say for me that Clinkenbeard's got an ear bleeding voice that I can't sand, but if you like her, more power to you.

No one from the FUNi cast comes close to Nozawa. However, the Ocean Dub cast did with Peter Kelamis who did an amazing job back then as Son Goku.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:05 pm

What beef could she possibly have had with Chris Sabat? I’ve heard that rumor as far back as 2010, but I don’t really see any scenario where the two would’ve interacted very much. Don’t the FUNimation voice actors record their lines separately from one another?

All I know is that Sean Schemmel didn’t care for her performance, since I recall a tweet from years ago where he bluntly stated that he doesn’t miss her as Gohan.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Well first off her Gohan was terrible
That's obviously your opinion and not a fact, which kind of seems like you were trying to say as a fact even though it isn't.
I feel like it was inferred it was his opinion because he was stating it though?

but far from "terrible."
It’s pretty bad. Like someone told her to do a little boy voice that sounds like Henderson’s boy voice and she came up with Selma and Patty from the Simpsons

I'd say for me that Clinkenbeard's got an ear bleeding voice that I can't sand, but if you like her, more power to you.
I’m not a fan of a Clinkenbeard either but she was a remarkable improvement over Nadolyny. Gohan no longer sounded like he had a smoking addiction and now sounded like every modern dub anime boy ever (not that that’s applaud worthy mind you )Which yeah I’m not a fan of but it’s like going from being punched repeatedly in the face to being lightly pinched.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote:What beef could she possibly have had with Chris Sabat? I’ve heard that rumor as far back as 2010, but I don’t really see any scenario where the two would’ve interacted very much. Don’t the FUNimation voice actors record their lines separately from one another?
He was the voice director iirc so she would have to deal with him. But again in the Funi inhouse redub of Dead Zone he seemed to have spoken well of her in the dvd commentary

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:What beef could she possibly have had with Chris Sabat? I’ve heard that rumor as far back as 2010, but I don’t really see any scenario where the two would’ve interacted very much. Don’t the FUNimation voice actors record their lines separately from one another?
He was the voice director iirc so she would have to deal with him. But again in the Funi inhouse redub of Dead Zone he seemed to have spoken well of her in the dvd commentary
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the commentary track for that, but did Chris Sabat take part in it? I recall Chuck Huber and Chris Cason being in it, but I don’t recall Chris Sabat.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
I’m not a fan of a Clinkenbeard either but she was a remarkable improvement over Nadolyny. Gohan no longer sounded like he had a smoking addiction and now sounded like every modern dub anime boy ever (not that that’s applaud worthy mind you )Which yeah I’m not a fan of but it’s like going from being punched repeatedly in the face to being lightly pinched.
I should point out that Nadolny had pretty much completely dropped the rasp in her Gohan and Goku voices from 2002 onward. Whether or not the more nasally voice she gave them from that point on was any better is a matter of taste.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
I should point out that Nadolny had pretty much completely dropped the rasp in her Gohan and Goku voices from 2002 onward. Whether or not the more nasally voice she gave them from that point on was any better is a matter of taste.
Eh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8H4KTFkfc

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Shaddy wrote:Well first off her Gohan was terrible, only her kid Goku was vaguely acceptable.
Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Eh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8H4KTFkfc
That doesn’t sound particularly raspy. Again, it sounds more nasally than anything. It certainly doesn’t sound like a smoker.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Yes (in dubs, not just FUNimation ones, actors are almost always recorded separately), but they definitely would have seen each other a lot because Chris Sabat is the dub's primary director.

Speaking of which...
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
I’d like to think she wasn’t asked to come back because they realized she was a bad fit for Gohan.

But they attempted to let Linda Young reprise her role as Grandma Frieza in Kai so that’s probably not it

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote:. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
I’d like to think she wasn’t asked to come back because they realized she was a bad fit for Gohan.

But they attempted to let Linda Young reprise her role as Grandma Frieza in Kai so that’s probably not it
Yeah. Plus Nadolny was kept around for a long time; the last work she did was Ultimate Tenkaichi in 2011 (although those were archive recordings, Origins 2 and Revenge of King Piccolo the previous year appear to be the last she did new recordings for).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Yes (in dubs, not just FUNimation ones, actors are almost always recorded separately), but they definitely would have seen each other a lot because Chris Sabat is the dub's primary director.

Speaking of which...
Then if the two of them did have some kind of a beef, I’d have to wonder what it could’ve been about. Neither actor strikes me as the kind of person who’d be particularly difficult to work with (then again, I don’t know either of them, nor do I care to ever know them), and it seems weird to me that they would’ve been able to work together for a full decade before enough became enough.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 pm

This thread is NOT the place to discuss her voice acting itself. Stay on topic please.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am

KBABZ wrote:Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
Yep, the DB community has a real issue blurring the lines between opinions and facts. I'm not one of those 'if you have nothing good to say then don't say it' but don't try to pass it off as more than that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Wow, way to stay on topic there. This is about why she doesn't voice Kid Goku/Gohan anymore, not an excuse to bash her performances.
Yep, the DB community has a real issue blurring the lines between opinions and facts. I'm not one of those 'if you have nothing good to say then don't say it' but don't try to pass it off as more than that.
I disagree, the OP was only wondering why Nadolny wasn't providing the voices of two major characters she played for over a decade. In my opinion Saddy used that as an excuse to instead talk about how they didn't like her performances.