Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Dagon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 am

Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Postby Dagon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 am

I'm thinking of buying a few volumes of DB manga in other languages like Spanish and French, to compare their translations to what Viz did with the English manga and Funimation's subtitles, and the Herms literal translation. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone knows about how accurate the translation/representation is for the manga in Spanish and perhaps French as well. I've been doing some translating of the dialogue bubbles from El Manga Legendario and they seem a lot closer to the Funimation subtitles than the Viz English manga, which is known to take liberties for the sake of "adapting" it to an English market. I think that comparing multiple translations would possibly clear up some misconceptions people have based on looking at the series from only one translation. I heard the Latin American dub was pretty accurate so I wanted to know if that was true for the manga as well.

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Postby Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:59 am

I can spoke about the French one, we use the proper name like Garlic Cannon or Kienzan instead for translate the technique name.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6004
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Postby sangofe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 am

Dagon wrote:I'm thinking of buying a few volumes of DB manga in other languages like Spanish and French, to compare their translations to what Viz did with the English manga and Funimation's subtitles, and the Herms literal translation. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone knows about how accurate the translation/representation is for the manga in Spanish and perhaps French as well. I've been doing some translating of the dialogue bubbles from El Manga Legendario and they seem a lot closer to the Funimation subtitles than the Viz English manga, which is known to take liberties for the sake of "adapting" it to an English market. I think that comparing multiple translations would possibly clear up some misconceptions people have based on looking at the series from only one translation. I heard the Latin American dub was pretty accurate so I wanted to know if that was true for the manga as well.


The French manga has had multiple translations. The last one is phenomenaly good and you can for example find it in the full color releases and I believe the Kanzenban releases.

User avatar
Dagon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 am

Re: Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Postby Dagon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 am

sangofe wrote:
Dagon wrote:I'm thinking of buying a few volumes of DB manga in other languages like Spanish and French, to compare their translations to what Viz did with the English manga and Funimation's subtitles, and the Herms literal translation. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone knows about how accurate the translation/representation is for the manga in Spanish and perhaps French as well. I've been doing some translating of the dialogue bubbles from El Manga Legendario and they seem a lot closer to the Funimation subtitles than the Viz English manga, which is known to take liberties for the sake of "adapting" it to an English market. I think that comparing multiple translations would possibly clear up some misconceptions people have based on looking at the series from only one translation. I heard the Latin American dub was pretty accurate so I wanted to know if that was true for the manga as well.


The French manga has had multiple translations. The last one is phenomenaly good and you can for example find it in the full color releases and I believe the Kanzenban releases.

I found a place I can read the French manga, in all its editions too. I'll try for the Spanish one as well. I do believe there are certain arguments that use faulty English translations that need some correcting(cough SSJ multiplier cough). This will help a lot.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6004
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Postby sangofe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

Dagon wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Dagon wrote:I'm thinking of buying a few volumes of DB manga in other languages like Spanish and French, to compare their translations to what Viz did with the English manga and Funimation's subtitles, and the Herms literal translation. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone knows about how accurate the translation/representation is for the manga in Spanish and perhaps French as well. I've been doing some translating of the dialogue bubbles from El Manga Legendario and they seem a lot closer to the Funimation subtitles than the Viz English manga, which is known to take liberties for the sake of "adapting" it to an English market. I think that comparing multiple translations would possibly clear up some misconceptions people have based on looking at the series from only one translation. I heard the Latin American dub was pretty accurate so I wanted to know if that was true for the manga as well.


The French manga has had multiple translations. The last one is phenomenaly good and you can for example find it in the full color releases and I believe the Kanzenban releases.

I found a place I can read the French manga, in all its editions too. I'll try for the Spanish one as well. I do believe there are certain arguments that use faulty English translations that need some correcting(cough SSJ multiplier cough). This will help a lot.


You talking about the spanish translation?

User avatar
Dagon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 am

Re: Spanish/French Accuracy compared to English Viz/Funimation?

Postby Dagon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 am

sangofe wrote:
Dagon wrote:
sangofe wrote:You talking about the spanish translation?

Yes. From what I hear it's better(more direct) than Viz, less "adapted."


Return to “General Franchise Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KinguKurimuzon, Metalwario64 and 12 guests