Why “Teen Gohan?”

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Why “Teen Gohan?”

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Like where did that moniker come from? It refers to him around the Cell Games saga when’s 9. NINE. I know the old dub aged him up to 11 but that’s still not a teenager

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Why “Teen Gohan?”

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I’m pretty sure it was just so that the games would be able to make a distinction between Gohan in the Cell Games and Gohan in the Saiyan and Freeza arcs. “PRE-Teen” Gohan would’ve been more accurate, but then again, I’m pretty sure a 9/10 year old is still too young to be classified as a pre-teen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I’m pretty sure it was just so that the games would be able to make a distinction between Gohan in the Cell Games and Gohan in the Saiyan and Freeza arcs. “PRE-Teen” Gohan would’ve been more accurate, but then again, I’m pretty sure a 9/10 year old is still too young to be classified as a pre-teen.
Tbh I still don't know what to call him so started referring him as Cell arc Gohan.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 pm

I don't understand the need to put a label on him other than "Cell Games Gohan." We don't do that with any other character and yet, there seems to be a need to do that with Gohan.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30 am

That’s a good point, TheGreatness.
Also, whenever people say “Teen Gohan”, I’ve always thot of the one who’s like 15 or 16. Who, the games call “Adult Gohan”, rite?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:That’s a good point, TheGreatness.
Also, whenever people say “Teen Gohan”, I’ve always thot of the one who’s like 15 or 16. Who, the games call “Adult Gohan”, rite?
Because everyone who attends high school is a fully-grown adult, haha.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:25 am

This can all be traced back to the Budokai games. Whether the Japanese or English versions messed up, is unclear to me. But I do know that the games created that distinction.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 am

It was easier for FUNi to use that than "Pre-Teen Gohan" or "Pre-Adolescent Gohan". Can't call him "Kid Gohan" because that already existed prior.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 am

For what it's worth, I believe Dokkan Battle uses "Gohan (Youth)" for Gohan in the Android arc. Which is... still a bit weird seeing that the game also uses a "Kid" label for him.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:This can all be traced back to the Budokai games. Whether the Japanese or English versions messed up, is unclear to me. But I do know that the games created that distinction.
It was definitely the English version that did it. I only have the games in Japanese, and they refer to four-year-old Gohan as 幼年期 (childhood), 10/11-year-old Gohan as 少年期 (older childhood?), and 16/17/18-year-old Gohan as 青年期 (adolescence). I'It's kinda weird to translate all three in a way that they'll fit together. Maybe "preschooler", "grade-schooler", and "teen"? The 小 in 少年期 (older childhood?) is the same as the 少 in 小学校 (grade-school).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:21 pm

I think a good bit of "Teen Gohan" comes from Funi screwing up Gohan's age and IIRC being inconsistent even within that.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I think a good bit of "Teen Gohan" comes from Funi screwing up Gohan's age and IIRC being inconsistent even within that.
Yeah but even by Funimation's strange timeline, "teen Gohan" wasn't a teenager.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I think a good bit of "Teen Gohan" comes from Funi screwing up Gohan's age and IIRC being inconsistent even within that.
Yeah but even by Funimation's strange timeline, "teen Gohan" wasn't a teenager.
Maybe FUNi thinks that someone who's 11 years old is a teenager.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Should have just been:
1. Brat Gohan. He misbehaved to get attention from the strongest.
2. Bred Gohan. His power was grown for him to talk sweet and innocent.
3. Brent Gohan. He was shy before people got to know him better for his skills.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 am

The games did it. And they're not even consistent; Goku gets "Early, Middle, and End," and Buu Arc Vegeta is "Vegeta (Second Form)." Whatever that means.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:37 pm

I feel like the games should just be unafraid of doing names like "Gohan (Saiyan era)", "Gohan (Cell era)", and "Gohan (Boo era)" ... Or, I suppose, "Buu era". ;)
There seems to be, at least to me, a tendency for them to avoid doing that, even though it seems to me that doing so would make the most sense. You want Saiyan arc-era Goku, complete with Nyoi'bo/power pole, and only the Kaioken available as far as transformation-type abilities are concerned? Just call him "Goku (Saiyan era)". Getting into nonsense like "Base Goku" and the like is just weird.

And, I guess "Teen Gohan" is just a consequence of the odd attitude of not just marking off the era they're from.

Though I do distinctly remember that being something that stemmed from the Funi dub. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, or just conflating Funi's messing up of Gohan's age with this naming oddity. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I feel like the games should just be unafraid of doing names like "Gohan (Saiyan era)", "Gohan (Cell era)", and "Gohan (Boo era)" ... Or, I suppose, "Buu era". ;)
There seems to be, at least to me, a tendency for them to avoid doing that, even though it seems to me that doing so would make the most sense. You want Saiyan arc-era Goku, complete with Nyoi'bo/power pole, and only the Kaioken available as far as transformation-type abilities are concerned? Just call him "Goku (Saiyan era)". Getting into nonsense like "Base Goku" and the like is just weird.
And why not like BT2 did with Goku? I remember there were 3 different versions of adult Goku : Goku (Early), Goku (Mid), Goku (End).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Tian wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I feel like the games should just be unafraid of doing names like "Gohan (Saiyan era)", "Gohan (Cell era)", and "Gohan (Boo era)" ... Or, I suppose, "Buu era". ;)
And why not like BT2 did with Goku? I remember there were 3 different versions of adult Goku : Goku (Early), Goku (Mid), Goku (End).
That's a fairly vague way of describing them, though, and "End" could mean anything... End of Z, GT, whatever he was like in the most recent appearance in Super... Just go with a sort of "Era" naming, what's wrong with that? It's much more descriptive, and easy to understand for everyone...