What is the best single Volume of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

What is the best single Volume of Dragon Ball?

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 am

I don't recall ever seeing this asked before. Out of the original 42 volumes of the Dragon Ball manga Fom a writing point of view, art, impact, action, humour etc, a combined package which one individual volume would you say is the best?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Re: What is the best single Volume of Dragon Ball?

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 am

Bullza wrote:I don't recall ever seeing this asked before. Out of the original 42 volumes of the Dragon Ball manga From a writing point of view, art, impact, action, humor etc, a combined package which one individual volume would you say is the best?

I´d say Dragon Ball manga volume 16. It was the one where Goku and Piccolo Jr have their epic battle as the climax of the series, at least at the moment. There is great tension and the fight choreography is outstanding. It shows off moves Goku uses on for the rest of the series and is the first instance of his SUPER KAMEHAMEHA. It is, in my opinion, the best.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Honestly I don't think this is a very good question. Outside of a US-exclusive break between the DB and Z Chapters, the Tankobons are arbitrarily split by Chapter count, not for any narrative reasons, so the breaks can feel really random and unchoreographed. This is why I had a bit of an issue when listening to the Manga Review of Awesomeness that they decided to split it up by the Tankobon volumes rather than by when a story arc ended, where possible.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 pm

KBABZ wrote:Honestly I don't think this is a very good question.
Your words cut deep. However yes it was a direct comparison of just an individual volume regardless of where it cuts in and cuts off.

Otherwise it'd just be the same question of what is the best story arc.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 pm

KBABZ wrote:Honestly I don't think this is a very good question. Outside of a US-exclusive break between the DB and Z Chapters, the Tankobons are arbitrarily split by Chapter count, not for any narrative reasons, so the breaks can feel really random and unchoreographed. This is why I had a bit of an issue when listening to the Manga Review of Awesomeness that they decided to split it up by the Tankobon volumes rather than by when a story arc ended, where possible.
I tend to agree. It's the same reason we don't have many "Favorite Epiosde" topics. A show/manga with a structure like Dragon Ball generally doesn't work to review it that way.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Bullza wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Honestly I don't think this is a very good question.
Your words cut deep. However yes it was a direct comparison of just an individual volume regardless of where it cuts in and cuts off.

Otherwise it'd just be the same question of what is the best story arc.
Ah, sorry if that was too harsh. I guess I just immediately jump to the whole chapter division thing rather than trying to answer the question itself.

I honestly can't decide between volumes 6 or 7, as they have cover the middle portion of the Red Ribbon arc and thus my favourite parts of the franchise overall. Can I take a co-out and vote for a 3-in-1?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 am

KBABZ wrote:I honestly can't decide between volumes 6 or 7, as they have cover the middle portion of the Red Ribbon arc and thus my favourite parts of the franchise overall. Can I take a co-out and vote for a 3-in-1?
Yeah sure, I ain't that picky about it.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:47 am

For me it's 15. Tenkaichi Budokai is always a good time. Lots of cool new moves and character redesigns.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:58 am

Gonna echo vol. 16, specifically the Viz version which covers the entire Goku vs. Piccolo fight. Best choreography, most dynamic artwork, best goddamn fight that's ever been fabricated with a pen.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm

I’m honestly going to say 18. I don’t know why, but when I was first collecting the VIZ volumes years ago, Volume 18 (Or DBZ volume 2 as I knew it) really grabbed my attention. It was at that point that I really couldn’t wait until I got the next volume. It started to eat at me
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Whichever volume has Goku and Kuririn training for the 21st TB. I love those chapters and episodes. They are so fun and charming.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:58 pm

I would have to say likely Volume 17 aka Volume 2 of the DBZ portion of the manga where Raditz appears, and Goku's hidden origins are finally revealed. Definitely a turning point in the series!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm

No volume comes to my mind , just arcs , but about volume covers ...
This :
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 am

Here are my top five contenders for best individual volume:

Volume 3 for the heavy focus on Goku and Kuririn’s training with Kame Sen’nin.

Volume 8 for Goku versus Taopaipai and his training with Karin.

Volume 16 (Viz release) for the backhalf of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.

Volume 18 for Goku’s training with Kaio and Gohan’s training with Piccolo.

Volume 42 for just being an entertaining read all the way to the end and closing out the series.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm

16 (Goku vs Piccolo Jr)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 pm

I have a potentially more interesting proposition. Most publications of Dragon Ball, Digest Edition aside, contain about 11-16 Chapters. What would you say is the best collection of 11-16 Chapters of the manga, ignoring how they were published? You can use this page to help pick a bracket.

My pick would be 227-242, which covers Goku's fight with Vegeta and his defeat with the help of Yamcha, Krillin and Yajirobe.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Honestly after reading that... give me any 11-16 chapter run from 1 to about 380 and I'll be happy. Also makes me really wish we got the movies and GT in Manga form.