Is Watching the Movies Necessary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Is Watching the Movies Necessary?

Post by Zephyr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:I'd throw in the Trunks TV special along with that lot, as its a marked improvement in many ways over the manga chapter its based on (since we're also going with "Toei's strongest story additions").
Fair.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Zephyr wrote:while still granting a solid dose of Kikuchi, Yanami, and Nozawa in some of Toei's strongest original story additions.
Well, not that solid if the audio is that muffled ass shit that sounds like it was recorded with a potato.
If it sounds like "muffled as shit that sounds like it was recorded with a potato", you might want to find a release. If you can't find a listenable version, might as well stick to the manga.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:03 am

Whenever I do a full watch-through of DB(Z), I tend to lean on the movies during the parts where the filler in the series is pretty unbearable, or the story is dragging and getting to be a little monotonous. Biggest examples are the Namek Saga (where I usually pause to watch the first 4 movies) and then later in the Super Buu part (I’ll watch movies 10 and 12 there)
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 am

Just a few of the movies are worth it. And they don't need to be watched at all to complement the story.

ratbomb

Post by ratbomb » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 am

They're not necessary, but some of them such as Bardock and History of Trunks add some lore to the series, but the other movies can be pretty fun to watch.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

ratbomb wrote:They're not necessary, but some of them such as Bardock and History of Trunks add some lore to the series, but the other movies can be pretty fun to watch.
What lore was added?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:01 pm

ABED wrote:
ratbomb wrote:They're not necessary, but some of them such as Bardock and History of Trunks add some lore to the series, but the other movies can be pretty fun to watch.
What lore was added?
We found out about the history of Goku's father and his story leading up to his death and the destruction of Planet Vegeta, as well as a little insight of Frieza's mind at the time. History of Trunks expands the Trunks: The Story bonus chapter and significantly fleshes out the state of affairs of the original bad future that Trunks comes from, as well as certain characters like Future Bulma and Future Gohan. Overall those two stories are focused a bit more on their characters rather than "Awesome Super-Amazing Guy shows up!" as a villain like most of the other movies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Other than the bits about Goku's dad, I don't see how we found out anything new about Freeza. Trunks' story gives the story more room to breathe but it doesn't give us anymore "lore".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:38 pm

The Bardock and Trunks TV specials are, without a doubt, necessary to watch. Same goes for BoG and RoF.

It isn't necessary for you to see the other movies, but they're enjoyable.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 pm

I would consider them "necessary" watch because they are both really good stories.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:41 am

ratbomb wrote:They're not necessary, but some of them such as Bardock and History of Trunks add some lore to the series.
And they're not movies but ovas.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 am

Not even a little, though they're fun enough distractions if you're looking for more Dragon Ball.

Maaaaaaybe give 13 a watch before GT, just for the incorporation of its titular move. (And also nods to Great Saiyaman II, I suppose, who never otherwise appears in the series. Toei basically seems to have considered that one to be in continuity.)

This is referring only to the original run of theatrical films--not the TV specials or modern Toriyama-scripted movies.
sangofe wrote:And they're not movies but ovas.
They're not even OVAs. They're TV specials. How did this become so convoluted? Because of Funimation's branding?

Ten years ago there was zero ambiguity what you were referring to if you said "the TV specials," and no one referred to them as anything else.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:34 am

Cipher wrote:Not even a little, though they're fun enough distractions if you're looking for more Dragon Ball.

Maaaaaaybe give 13 a watch before GT, just for the incorporation of its titular move. (And also nods to Great Saiyaman II, I suppose, who never otherwise appears in the series. Toei basically seems to have considered that one to be in continuity.)

This is referring only to the original run of theatrical films--not the TV specials or modern Toriyama-scripted movies.
sangofe wrote:And they're not movies but ovas.
They're not even OVAs. They're TV specials. How did this become so convoluted? Because of Funimation's branding?

Ten years ago there was zero ambiguity what you were referring to if you said "the TV specials," and no one referred to them as anything else.
Right, my error there was due to AB calling them "ova's".

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:47 am

Cipher wrote:Maaaaaaybe give 13 a watch before GT, just for the incorporation of its titular move. (And also nods to Great Saiyaman II, I suppose, who never otherwise appears in the series. Toei basically seems to have considered that one to be in continuity.)
Funnily enough, I just watched Z episode 287 an hour ago, and Great Saiyaman 2 is in it. So there is that. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:03 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Funnily enough, I just watched Z episode 287 an hour ago, and Great Saiyaman 2 is in it. So there is that. :P
Never mind then!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:41 am

Cipher wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Funnily enough, I just watched Z episode 287 an hour ago, and Great Saiyaman 2 is in it. So there is that. :P
Never mind then!
Yeah I do recall it being used in the post-Buu episode, and was even kept in the Kai version!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:40 am

If anyone wants context for some of the reoccurring movie characters (Broly, Cooler, Gogeta, Janemba, etc.) that appear in other media, then I would recommend the movies be watched.
Take Dragon Ball FighterZ, for instance. That game has nods that those who have seen the movies Cooler and Broly were in would only notice.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Necessary? No, but I feel like the movies have an oddly specific fanbase, at least in the US. Despite being short, and noncanon, there's a loooot of hype for Cooler, Broly, and Janemba, especially among the early 2000s Toonami crowd.

So if I understand your question, you might want to watch movies 5,6,8,and 12 in order to be part of that discussion.
And they're well animated little stories, so I'll leave it up to you. The two specials are nonoptional though.
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:53 pm

I would also suggest watching DBZ movie 1 as it has some of the best fight sequences in all of DB. Goku dodging attacks from multiple opponents are among my favorite moments in any fight.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 pm

ABED wrote:I would also suggest watching DBZ movie 1 as it has some of the best fight sequences in all of DB. Goku dodging attacks from multiple opponents are among my favorite moments in any fight.
I have a particular soft spot for when Ginger pulls those scimitars out of his back. The animation looked really good there.