Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 am

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
As a kid I always wondered why something so apocalyptic and destructive was apparently swept under the run with no evidence to show it actually happened.
I get your point about Bulma, but when has something like the physical destruction had lasting evidence in DB world? Why would DB be concerned with the world at large's reaction to the destruction?
I already pointed out how Dragon Ball did that a lot later on.
When? I don't remember.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote: I get your point about Bulma, but when has something like the physical destruction had lasting evidence in DB world? Why would DB be concerned with the world at large's reaction to the destruction?
I already pointed out how Dragon Ball did that a lot later on.
When? I don't remember.
Same post, same paragraph even:
KBABZ wrote:But it isn't unprecedented: Daimao blowing up Central City, Jr. flattening Papaya Island, Nappa blowing up that one city, 19 and 20 killing everyone on the island, and Frieza blowing up the coastal city are all never mentioned again or have any ramifications to the world at large.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm

- Pride Troopers in action: Jiren's backstory and also the backstory of the other members explained in detail, description how they met each other and Vermoud, battle against Jiren's foe, krab monsters and other villains.
- Ribriannes backstory revealed (in search for the real love?).
- Adventures of the Kais and the story of the seeling of Old Kai in the Z-sword.
- The story of the real battle of the Gods (like in the DBS manga), their own tournament.
- Something involving 17 as the center heroe.
- Bulma and Vegeta's b&b-detective stories: Bulma = brains, Vegeta = biceps
- Mister Saitan's quest for Ki-control.
- More stuff of Trunks future timeline.
- Adventures of Piccolo and Gohan, Goten and Trunks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I already pointed out how Dragon Ball did that a lot later on.
When? I don't remember.
Same post, same paragraph even:
KBABZ wrote:But it isn't unprecedented: Daimao blowing up Central City, Jr. flattening Papaya Island, Nappa blowing up that one city, 19 and 20 killing everyone on the island, and Frieza blowing up the coastal city are all never mentioned again or have any ramifications to the world at large.
I saw that, but there wasn't any lingering damage and of course they don't bring up those cities, they never return. They do bring up the flattening of Papaya Island because they return to the island over a decade later. Why would the ramifications of those incidents have any impact on the story?

A side story that might be worthwhile is something to do with Kami. We never see what the hell he does? What does he do beyond stand in the Heavenly Realm and stare down at Earth?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm

ABED wrote:I saw that, but there wasn't any lingering damage and of course they don't bring up those cities, they never return. They do bring up the flattening of Papaya Island because they return to the island over a decade later. Why would the ramifications of those incidents have any impact on the story?
Just because you're not in that city again doesn't mean the effects of it cannot possibly be discussed (I've never been to Hiroshima, for example). You're also confusing what I'm talking about; I'm referring to the world at large, not the specific characters (although they can be included). About the only times the ramifications are mentioned is in the anime when Piccolo tries to get people to help Goku's Spirit Bomb and they run away thinking he's back to terrorize them, and Mr. Satan taking all the credit for defeating Cell. Bringing up the flattening of Papaya Island counts as well, but it was done as a joke (we also don't even know if the Tournament in the Buu saga is even on Papaya Island again because it's exact location isn't specified, but that's a different topic altogether).

But at that point the story is completely uninterested in fleshing out the world at large like it used to. I found it very odd in the Daimao arc that, for somebody who basically instigated a genocide that affected the whole planet (and whose son is eventually picked up on later), NOBODY, not even the King of the World, recognized him when he walks into a public event and starts killing people, with the exception of Roshi. It's almost as if the flashback sequence was done to pad for time in an episode...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:35 pm

I'm actually very aware of what you're talking about and when has the show concerned itself with the world at large? Notice that the time those prior events are brought up, it's when it affects the main characters in some way.
Just because you're not in that city again doesn't mean the effects of it cannot possibly be discussed
I can't imagine it would be more than a passing comment.
NOBODY, not even the King of the World, recognized him when he walks into a public event and starts killing people
How long ago was Piccolo Daimao? Both Muten Roshi and the Crane Hermit are very old, much older than normal humans and it seems like Daimao happened a while before. I think it happened almost three hundred years prior to Goku killing Piccolo. You said "... even though it happened within Roshi's lifetime" but Roshi is VERY old.
But at that point the story is completely uninterested in fleshing out the world at large like it used to.
The kind of thing you are talking about seems like world building and nothing that would actually enrich the story. It's just exposition and world building.